Music players

Doc_Z

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I like the idea of Google Play Music, especially the part that lets it upload any new music I add to my computer library. I know I can make the music available on my N7 for offline play. I don't like the Google Play Music player. I tried to adjust the volume, but I guess the only way to do that is to use the volume control on the tablet itself. Even at full volume, it is almost inaudible in the car. Is there another music player app that is compatible with Google Play Music? Most of the others need the manual uploading of music to the tablet, nothing automatic.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand completely--how else would you want to adjust the volume besides using the volume control?

When you say it's almost inaudible in the car, do you mean over the N7's built-in speakers? You shouldn't expect any tablet to be loud enough using its built-in speakers. Are you connecting your N7 to your car's sound system via Bluetooth, or at least from the headphone jack to the car's Audio In jack?

Doc_Z

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
From the headphone jack to the car's audio system. I had to turn up the car system to almost full volume to hear anything.

repligation

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I am also confused about your question, but I will take this opportunity to hate on the Google Play music app-- It is a festering pile. Any music player that doesn't use folder view or doesn't allow playing and browsing by folder and file name rather than id3 tag is bloat (read iTunes).

Even the new android music player on my s3 does this now. Why Google left it out of their play music app I don't know, maybe it's a DRM issue.

Basically, iTunes is one of the many reasons I have no interest in ever owning an apple product. There is nothing worse than turning over a carefully sequenced personal mix to a POS program that can only organize by genre and album, etc.,

Ideally, the music player should be able to handle flac and cue sheets as well as having some equalizer option. /rant

Currently I am using Music Folder Player Free in addition to the music player embedded in ES File Explorer on my N7.

dralezero

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Did you try Google Music player's equalizer? On the queue screen or currently playing (where it shows the album art real big and the progress bar) click the settings dots in top right. I turned up each freq and it made it even louder

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I am also confused about your question, but I will take this opportunity to hate on the Google Play music app-- It is a festering pile. Any music player that doesn't use folder view or doesn't allow playing and browsing by folder and file name rather than id3 tag is bloat (read iTunes).

Even the new android music player on my s3 does this now. Why Google left it out of their play music app I don't know, maybe it's a DRM issue.

Basically, iTunes is one of the many reasons I have no interest in ever owning an apple product. There is nothing worse than turning over a carefully sequenced personal mix to a POS program that can only organize by genre and album, etc.,

Ideally, the music player should be able to handle flac and cue sheets as well as having some equalizer option. /rant

Currently I am using Music Folder Player Free in addition to the music player embedded in ES File Explorer on my N7.

I have no idea what you're complaining about. Can you explain that a little more?

repligation

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I have no idea what you're complaining about. Can you explain that a little more?

The basic problem is having loads of mp3 files that were ripped from CDs or otherwise downloaded with incomplete or no id3 tags. Making a playlist in iTunes or google music for every album or mix in a TB of data that is already organized by folder and filename is just not practical.

So if want to load my most cherished Debbie Gibson compilation from long ago, I now have to waste time creating a playlist to organize it for the music player when instead the music player should just be able to play it from the folder as it is.

On top of that, to me the idea of "syncing" my devices is a silly waste of time when I can just copy and paste folders (this is more aimed at iTunes--what an infuriating little device our iPod shuffle is)

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
So you're saying you rip a CD and it may not group the songs together, so you can't view all the songs from that album? I guess that's why I didn't know what you were talking about. I don't rip CDs.

I also don't mind syncing my Apple products with iTunes but I only have about 1,000 songs, so I just sync all my music. I don't have to manage anything. I like the concept of syncing - you download some new songs and all you have to do when you plug your device in is press one button and all your music is transferred - but it would be nice if you could also manually manage your music if you switched to another computer.

Doc_Z

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Forget the volume problem for the moment. I have stored my music files for offline use. Where are those files stored? I installed the N7 music player and it can't find any music files.

repligation

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Forget the volume problem for the moment. I have stored my music files for offline use. Where are those files stored? I installed the N7 music player and it can't find any music files.

You have to have root access to view and manipulate those files. Another reason I wouldn't personally use Google play music. It seems OK if you already have the music files from another source, but the system lacks true portability to other devices other than cloud access.

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
repligation, you may be interested in this free app - it repairs all kinds of MP3 file defects and can be automated in a number of ways.

MP3val is a small, high-speed, free software tool for checking MPEG audio files' integrity. It can be useful for finding corrupted files (e.g. incompletely downloaded, truncated, containing garbage). MP3val is also able to fix most of the problems. Being a multiplatform application, MP3val can be runned both under Windows and under Linux (or BSD).
MP3val - home page

repligation

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Thanks bigtroutz, a useful program but I have almost nothing that is actually a corrupted or incomplete mp3 save a few old files from the days of Napster and kazaa. The file does not need to have any meaningful id3 tag data to be complete.

If I had and interest in jiving my music collection with the likes of iTunes (which I don't), then I would resort to an id3 tag editor. I do this occasionally when I share something friends who use iTunes. It is not a big deal for one mix or album, but it is not practical otherwise.

Just about every tech oriented person I know shares my loathing of iTunes, but I understand how entrenched it is for many people.

I'm not really interested in fitting my files into a system with limited functionality, but rather something that fits into my system. There are many apps out there that will do this for free.
ITunes and Google play music do not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith