Cracked Screen, Touch sorta works

murph777

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm trying to figure out what to do with me Nexus 7, I have a spider crack running up the right side of the screen, that i'm not really sure how it happened it looks like it originated from the headphone jack, 3/4 of my touch screen still works and 1/4 does not work. Basically the screen left of the crack is working and the screen right of the crack is not working. So my questions are

1. Do you think there is any chance of warranty repairing this, since it seems to have originated from using headphones?

2. Do you think the digitizer is still good and I could replace just the glass/lcd, I have seen some on eBay from china without the digitizer for about $50 - $60?

I have done a little research and I know it's about $180 dollars to have Asus do repairs, so I don't believe I want to take that route if it comes down to that, the Nexus 7 still has a lot of functionally it just a nuisance having to flip it all around to be able to select various things on the screen

systemofadown1

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
might not be much help, but root & you can use a USB or wireless mouse (requires an otg cable along with the root access & stickmount app) Keyboards work too ( rooting rocks :) )

murph777

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, I probably will try the 50-60 eBay lcd/glass and hope that fixes it as far as rooting and using a mouse might try that if the screen replacement doesn't put it back to being fully functional.

murph777

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
aren't the glass and digitizer glued together?

Yes after looking into it some more the digitizer, LCD and glass are all fused together, looks like I will be using a mouse. The cheapest I could find the screen assembly was $155 so maybe when they get down to about $100 I will consider trying to do a repair on it. I think Asus is charging like $180 to do the repair not worth it for a tablet that can be purchased for $200

kimikookskookis

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Agree. In that case I would just install Ubuntu on it and use it as a netbook. If available, I would get a Miracast compatible program to use it as a desktop pc.

If you rely on the 3G capability you are somewhat screwed though, cause then you have to pay the 180$ or 300$ + tax + s&h (+ electronic fee, like the CA ewaste).

mathelm

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Keep a check on cragslist n ebay, maybe someone will be letting their 8gb go cheaply. You could just swap out the screens. I've seen several tear down vids on it and it's made to work on....

kimikookskookis

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Before you do anything like that you might still consider trying to get a repair on warranty. Call ASUS, explain yourself and send it in. If they don't repair it on their own cost they will tell you - just tell them to send it back to you without a repair. But before you do that, under the condition it is really a manufacturer defect and you never dropped it from even the smallest height, insist on them fixing it under warranty. Maybe they'll give in and realize it was their mistake and not your fault. That only works if there is really no sign of you handling it wrong!

Give it a try ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18