Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mathelm
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default WILL THERE BE AN N7 2 AND WHEN AND WILL IT HAVE A rear CAMERA?

Its a great little tablet but all it needs is a decent rear camera. I know many dont care about a rear camera but the form factor of the device s perfect for one, not like the mac mini which is a bit too large to carry around for photo purposes.

Isn't the iPad mini the same size? The screen is bigger but the actual form factor was the same, as far as I could tell.

Default Re: WILL THERE BE AN N7 2 AND WHEN AND WILL IT HAVE A rear CAMERA?

Nope. The iPad mini is larger in size and imho less comfortable to fold for a "mini" tablet. That's partially because it has almost no bezel on the sides, which looks awesome, but sacrifices ergonomics.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

I certainly hope so. I would love a rear camera, although in honesty I probably wouldn't use it that often. I'd also like to see some small improvements throughout, consistent with newer display and processor technology. Basically, I don't think this tablet needs drastic overhauls. Just a nice update at the one year mark.

I really want at least a camera that hooks on to the back, that's not too bulky, that would connect to the micro-USB port. Sometimes I really want to take pictures, but can't due to the lack of no rear camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Nychotxxx View Post
    I know many dont care about a rear camera
    Think you just answered your own question...

Global Posts
    93 Global Posts

Since owning my N7, I've never had the urge to want a camera on the back. I think the current model is great for what it was built for. If they do make a N7 2, They really can't make too many improvements while staying in the current price point.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Blackberry 8330 / HTC Hero / Motorola Milestone / Motorola Milestone X / Motorola Photon / Apple iPhone 4 / Motorola Droid Bionic / Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX / Verizon Galaxy Nexus / iPhone 5 / Samsung Galaxy S4

I am not going to hold a 7 inch tablet up to take a picture when I have a perfect razr maxx with a good rear camera and wont look awkward holding it up to take a pic.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by mysterygirl View Post
    Nope. The iPad mini is larger in size and imho less comfortable to fold for a "mini" tablet. That's partially because it has almost no bezel on the sides, which looks awesome, but sacrifices ergonomics.

I had no issues when I handled it, especially with how light it was. My phone isn't that light lol. Too bad the screen isn't HD.

a tablet is whatever you make of it, and there are a plethora of apps that benefit form rear cams. for starters, every camera app. then stuff like smart tools, PDF scanners, note apps if you want to save/snap/annotate notes to pics, etc. not having a rear cam limits its potential for versatility, but I don't think they have any plans to add one on--I think their reasoning is, most people have smartphones anyways, and smartphone cams would be a hell of a lot better than any small thing they stuck on the N7.

I don't know if releasing new models will be an annual thing, a biannual thing, or if they'll just design something else from scratch in the future. Either way, I think it's safe to say we won't see any new N7's on the market for a good few months at least.

The whole idea with the Nexus 7 is to compete on price with other sub-$200 tablets. Amazon set the pace last year with the intro of the OG Fire. There's not going to be a RFC on the N7.

If I want to take a photo, I use my phone. I have seen people attempt to use a tablet to take a photo/video. It's very comical.

For me personally, the one big thing that would put this tablet over the top is a MicroSD slot. I would use it FAR more than any camera.

I know it will never happen since Google wants you to use their cloud, but it would make the tablet so much more functional.

And no, I don't want to walk around with a parasite OTG cable hanging out the bottom like a high tech hemmorhoid.

I totally agree, a microSD slot would make this a much better product. Though it really should be a microSDXC slot.

A rear facing camera would be nice but not a deal breaker for me. Yes, there are lots of apps beyond a simple camera. The addition of a camera would make the N7 a great tablet for school work. My kid's school gives out iPads and the camera does get a fair amount of use for things like labs.

I'd like better speakers but in the form factor, that might well be impossible.

But, keep the $200 price point.

Price - Quality - Speed..... Pick any two....

I think the speaker volume would be fine if they were front facing, as apposed to the rear ones it has....

Global Posts
    111 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NealJ777 View Post
    The whole idea with the Nexus 7 is to compete on price with other sub-$200 tablets. Amazon set the pace last year with the intro of the OG Fire. There's not going to be a RFC on the N7.

If I want to take a photo, I use my phone. I have seen people attempt to use a tablet to take a photo/video. It's very comical.
    I disagree, the N7 is not at all too big and awkward to be used a rear camera device for pics or vids. It is a prefect size to me. I would rather use the N7 than a SLR, nor would I care what someone else thinks/feels about my use of any device to take a picture or video. Also, not everyone has a smart phone....or for that matter a decent camera on a cell phone.

I would gladly pay more for a high end rear facing camera (i never use the front one). This rear cam would be more satisfying to me then a memory card slot. I think I am not the only one in this category as well. Everyone uses devices differently....and because the N7 is so special in that regards.....it allows for so many different possible uses.

Global Posts
    4,261 Global Posts

Hopefully never.

Tablets weren't made for taking pictures, that's what stand alone cameras and phones are for.

I personally don't want an unnecessary feature like a rear camera on a Nexus 7 especially if it's going to make it more expensive.

I've run into many times when I would of liked a camera on my nexus 7 but personally I'd like MIMO wireless.Would make for a much stronger signal...just my 2 cents...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by jd914 View Post
    Hopefully never.

Tablets weren't made for taking pictures, that's what stand alone cameras and phones are for.

I personally don't want an unnecessary feature like a rear camera on a Nexus 7 especially if it's going to make it more expensive.
    Tablets, like everything else, were made to make money. So if the customer doesn't want a camera, no camera because the customers always right. If the customer wants a camera, then add camera because.......
    CGleas85 likes this.

Global Posts
    104 Global Posts

new processor. more ppi.

camera - only if it is the same one used in the S3.

true dual stereo speakers as found on the ipad would seal the deal...

keep the same form factor.

I would rather have better sound quality than a camera, but that is just my opinion.
    BTW. ever notice some apps have great sound quality. think asphalt 7, where as temple run is almost quiet as a church.. Isn't there an underlying API that can unify this mess?

Global Posts
    4,261 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mathelm View Post
    Tablets, like everything else, were made to make money. So if the customer doesn't want a camera, no camera because the customers always right. If the customer wants a camera, then add camera because.......
    Google doesn't want a rear camera on the Nexus 7 and that's exactly why I'm a Nexus 4 owner so you are right. If I wanted something with a rear camera I would have looked elsewhere.

Global Posts
    111 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jd914 View Post
    Google doesn't want a rear camera on the Nexus 7 and that's exactly why I'm a Nexus 4 owner so you are right. If I wanted something with a rear camera I would have looked elsewhere.
    I want a good rear facing camera on my N7.......that's why I'm not a N4 owner. I'm looking to the future for a N7 with rear cam.

So your saying.....all tablets but the N7 should have rear cams? But its also ok to have 3 different versions of the N7....just not one with a rear cam option. Your right...stifle innovation at the cost of saving $50 for anyone with a need/want for a rear cam on the N7.......but a 3G option.....everyone wants that right?
    Last edited by Rich215; 12-19-2012 at 10:01 AM.

Global Posts
    111 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xyzlene View Post
    BTW. ever notice some apps have great sound quality. think asphalt 7, where as temple run is almost quiet as a church.. Isn't there an underlying API that can unify this mess?
    Yes I experience this with a couple apps and some websites that use flash for radio station streaming. Its all about making the software work well with the hardware's abilities. JB/Android has much more work to do. But for now....its a good experience with the new devices and JB out recently.

Quote Originally Posted by NealJ777 View Post
    A 7" device really isn't that awkward considering smartphones are getting bigger and bigger. I don't think people would use it for instagramming their food or taking videos of their kids--I would have used it for school (taking pics of the prof's notes, scanning articles bc it costs .10/page to scan at school, maybe some SmartTools stuff, etc). Adding a worthwhile rear cam would jack up the price, but they could have had a Play store-only N7 with rear cam for like $30 extra. But for $250 the N7 ain't bad as is.

I wouldn't mind a rear camera but only if its good. I don't want some grainy nasty picture though. I don't think a 7 inch tablet is too big for pictures. I also hope Google learned its lesson and doesn't bother with an 8gb tablet.

I love how some people think they know what everyone wants, doesn't want, needs or doesn't need. Try designing a product for a lesson in humility. There are always people that don't like the way you did it. So, one man's awkward is another's convenient.

Sure, using a tablet to take a picture can be awkward. But last night I was chatting with my GF via text and email using my N7. I wanted to send her a quick picture of something (no, get your mind otta da guttah). Had to grab my phone and do it but it would have been much easier if there was an RF camera in the N7. I watch my kids use their iPads to take pictures of things all the time. My son has a cooking class at school and he used the iPad cam as part of his assignment (cook the family a meal, document it).