Nexux 7 Phone?

RandyXoom

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Hi all! I'm visiting family in the US for 3 weeks and I need a phone. I'm looking at getting a Nexus 7 for my wife for Christmas anyway and was thinking of dropping the extra $100 to get it with the AT&T data and a pre-paid 30 day plan. Would I be able to use the Nexus 7 as a phone too or would it be data only? I can use Skype I guess, that's one option. I also have Vonage..so maybet that? I'd rather just have a phone number and use it like a large phone, but I'll do what ever I have to I guess

Appreciate the assist
Randy

RandyXoom

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Thanks but we both have new phones, and no need for another one, and but we do need another tablet so iI was planning to get the wife the nex7. This just seems it would solve 2 needs....

CGleas85

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Yes I am using the WiFi version right now as a phone. First you get a Google voice account this will give you a number. In the Google voice settings you have to enable calls to be forwarded to Google chat. I use groove IP and it works great its free and easy to set up with goglevoice. You can also get text messages as well as voicemail. One pretty cool feature of this is when I get a call and cannot answer it if the person calling leaves a voicemail Google voice will translate it and send me a text with the voicemail its really accurate too. If you have any questions message me

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Agree with Charles, I am trying to set ,mine up like his.
Only concern before I do it is data usage and what plan and cost . But some of my main reasons for a tablet was to do internet calling and a portable office in the sense of the word. N7 has enough poop to handle my needs and communicate if needed. I guess in the back of my head the larger screen helps clients view work easier, nothing worse for me than to show a quick snap shot on a 2 or 4 inch screen of a phone.
What I am learning fast is how much data one needs as this is my first tablet used for my business, and new to Android.
Sent from my Nexus 7

CGleas85

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Groove IP list 1.2mb of data per minute so 1 gb will get you 833 minutes. Check your current cellphone data and calls and add up the figures that should give you a pretty good idea. HD YouTube videos also tear through data, you should set up on WiFi and do all the heavy downloading before using the network but you probably figured that

CGleas85

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
You also need headphones for groove IP or the person on the other end of the call will hear a bad echo of their own voice. I think the reason headphones help greatly is because the speaker is on the bottom as well as one of the two microphones so when your caller talks they hear their voice being repeated. Headphones disable the speaker giving you independent mic and speaker. I am pretty sure Bluetooth is only supported on paid version although that is only 5 bucks.

Xopher

Trusted Member
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
I use the same setup on my Nexus 7 with both Skype and GrooveIP. It works very well when you use headphones. I'm only using it over wifi, but I do use GrooveIP on my Note 2 over 4G and it still sounds good.

mathelm

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
All of the above, only I use talk atone. No echo here. Plus you could use a Bluetooth ear piece...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

RandyXoom

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Great, thanks for the info! So, sounds like I have to do some finanglin' but I can set something up. I was hoping to just have the phone app and go...but guess not. I saw a guy who has a Samsung Tab2 10.1 and he has the phone app and uses it as his cell phone w/bluetooth headset. Kinda cumbersome if you ask me, but he's happy. I only want this for a month as a stop gap while traveling...so I guess the work around you describe may be the way to go.

One more question. Has any one got the AT&T prepaid plan for their Nex7? I have a Note2 and a GNex, but of which are 4G (HSPDA+) and AT&T told me that they couldn't give me a $65 prepaid plan that includes both data and voice because AT&T is not allowing 4G on their prepaid (don't quite understand why, stupid if you ask me especially when you figure you could get it with 3G..so why not just throttle me back to 3G? I guess it's their way to try to force customers to contract plans.)

Thanks,
Randy

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I guess a tablet is a tablet, a bit of fiddling makes it worth the purchase and that all depends on expectations. I for one I have a expectation the n7 will do what I want it to.
I hope as a new androoid owner it can carry me to that goal. I see iPads are pretty good but our head office has intrigated blackberry into the IT system. My guess is security . But personal use, these are great. As for voice data plans, they have the reins and can dictate, yes stupid I agree, data alone plans are rip offs as they probably sell voice 1000 times more than data. To get voice and data on a tablet are probably not worth their effort. Most like myself would just go with a tab2 for the best of both worlds. The 7 inch tablet market may see voice data soon, just seeing sales and needs of most.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2fedes