Results 1 to 18 of 18
Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By luke31
  • 3 Post By dralezero
  • 5 Post By mathelm
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Netflix?

    Hello,

    Newbie here. I tried to search for an answer to my question, but was not able to find it.

    I have the Nexus 7 and would like to add some movies to my tablet. That I can view when I am traveling.

    How do I do this? Do I need Flash to view movies?

    If I get a membership to Netflix, can I download movies to my Nexus 7 or can I only live stream?

    Anyway to watch/download movies to the Nexus off Amazon Prime?

    I decided to get the Nexus 7 instead of the Kindkle Fire HD. I've been told I made the right decision. HA!

    I do have DirectTV at home, can I see this on the Nexus 7?
    Thank you in advance for all your help!!!
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Netflix?

    Netflix is for streaming. You'll have to go into the play store and purchase movies. In order to view DirecTV shows you have to download the app. Another method but I don't want to go into to much detail you have to know about ripping movies that you own.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
  3. #3  
    luke31's Avatar

    Posts
    542 Posts
    Global Posts
    634 Global Posts
    ROM
    All Stock (for now)

    Default Re: Netflix?

    You can only stream movies from Netflix. There is no dedicated app for viewing Prime video, but I believe that by installing a browser that supports flash and then side loading flash, you can watch Prime videos through that browser.

    I only have the 16gb Nexus 7, so I bought a USB OTG cable that let's me connect my flash drive to my nexus 7. I can then watch movies (offline) on the n7 that are stored on the flash drive.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    Sony Xperia Z1s
    Nexus 7 2012 (16GB)
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: Netflix?

    So how do you get the movies onto your flash drive? Off iTunes? Sorry...can you tell I'm not tech savvy. BTW....my Nexus 7 is a 32gb.
  5. #5  
    luke31's Avatar

    Posts
    542 Posts
    Global Posts
    634 Global Posts
    ROM
    All Stock (for now)

    Default Re: Netflix?

    Quote Originally Posted by IcePonyGirl View Post
    So how do you get the movies onto your flash drive? Off iTunes? Sorry...can you tell I'm not tech savvy. BTW....my Nexus 7 is a 32gb.
    Well, first you need a program to rip your DVD movies and convert them into a digital file. Then, you can either drag and drop that digital file directly into the directory of your Nexus 7 (assuming you're using Windows), or you can place them on a flash drive (as I mentioned above) if you don't want them taking up space on your device.

    Or, if you don't actually own the movie but want to buy it and watch it offline, I'm pretty sure you can physically buy (rather than rent) movies from the Google Play Store, then have the option to stream them or to download them to your device. You can delete the movie and re-download it at any time I believe.

    Many Blu-Ray movies come with a digital copy, which you can download onto your computer and again drag-and-drop directly into your N7 or to a flash drive.

    If you want to use the flash drive, you need to first buy something like this: Amazon.com: T & S Electronics Micro USB OTG Cable - Google Nexus 7, Xoom, Samsung Galaxy, Iconia A510, Toshiba Excite 305, & more. LIFETIME WARRANTY!: Computers & Accessories

    Then, in order to actually view the content of your flash drive, you need to download an App such as this:
    Sony Xperia Z1s
    Nexus 7 2012 (16GB)
    liljew likes this.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Netflix?

    The Google Play store is the "official" way to purchase or rent movies on the Nexus 7. When you purchase or rent from Google Play, you can Pin a movie (the thumbtack icon) and it will download and save to the Nexus 7 for watching while offline. Rentals are a couple dollars though, more than a traditional movie store. But for nontech savy, it may be the best option.

    In a better world we shouldn't have to pay double for using Netflix then renting movies elsewhere just so we can watch offline, and not spend extra.
    Last edited by dralezero; 12-17-2012 at 12:03 AM.
    Thanked by:
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Netflix?

    My suggestion would be to become tech savy, a little anyways.

    1. For viewing any and all video files, install from Google play. I use a program called to rip movies from dvd's onto my hard drive. It's pretty straight forward and you should be able to use it with all the default settings. All you need is a dvd drive in your "windows "computer. It will automaticly see a dvd in your drive, so all you need do is chose (or make a new one) a destination folder for it to put it in, then click the DVD icon.

    2. That file/folder will be quite large and need to be shrunk/converted for use on your Nexus. For this part you need a program called . With it, all you need do is click on the "Source" button (top left), then click on "Folder" in the drop down menu, and chose the folder you ripped the dvd to. Choose a "Preset" from the window on the right (Android Med or High). Then a destination for the new (smaller) mp4 movie file ( putting it on your Desktop would make it easy to find) and click the "Start" button.
    btw..On a 1hr 42min movie, "Android High" preset is about 646 meg, and Med is 500 meg ( I can't tell the difference in quality on the my Nexus).

    3. Once done just plug the Nexus into your computer via USB, right click and copy the movie file, then paste it to a folder on your Nexus. I use the "movies" folder.

    All these programs are free too so...

    The great thing about MX Player is that it will play any video file, so anyway or how you get a video, assuming it will fit on your nexus, MX will play it.
    Last edited by mathelm; 12-17-2012 at 04:51 AM.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Netflix?

    Quote Originally Posted by mathelm View Post
    My suggestion would be to become tech savy, a little anyways.

    1. For viewing any and all video files, install from Google play. I use a program called to rip movies from dvd's onto my hard drive. It's pretty straight forward and you should be able to use it with all the default settings. All you need is a dvd drive in your "windows "computer. It will automaticly see a dvd in your drive, so all you need do is chose (or make a new one) a destination folder for it to put it in, then click the DVD icon.

    2. That file/folder will be quite large and need to be shrunk/converted for use on your Nexus. For this part you need a program called . With it, all you need do is click on the "Source" button (top left), then click on "Folder" in the drop down menu, and chose the folder you ripped the dvd to. Choose a "Preset" from the window on the right (Android Med or High). Then a destination for the new (smaller) mp4 movie file ( putting it on your Desktop would make it easy to find) and click the "Start" button.
    btw..On a 1hr 42min movie, "Android High" preset is about 646 meg, and Med is 500 meg ( I can't tell the difference in quality on the my Nexus).

    3. Once done just plug the Nexus into your computer via USB, right click and copy the movie file, then paste it to a folder on your Nexus. I use the "movies" folder.

    All these programs are free too so...

    The great thing about MX Player is that it will play any video file, so anyway or how you get a video, assuming it will fit on your nexus, MX will play it.
    That is my method, although I use DVDFab version 8 . You can use their HD Decyrpter for free and it takes care of many things that DVD Decrypter won't do anymore because it is no longer in development.

    I also prefer to use a file explorer (ES File Explorer) to copy and paste the mp4s from my laptop to my N7 over my LAN (Wifi).
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Netflix?

    Didn't DVD Fab go to a monthly subscription deal? I bought the full version a few years back, and the next time I built a new system and went to install, it wouldn't work with my key code. Went to their site and was told I would have to subscribe to use my already paid for, non OEM, full version of the software. That's when I first found dvd dycripter. Kind of anti anyone who steals my cash you know....

    So is it free to use now? If so, will it still shrink and/or convert?
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Netflix?

    Quote Originally Posted by mathelm View Post
    Didn't DVD Fab go to a monthly subscription deal? I bought the full version a few years back, and the next time I built a new system and went to install, it wouldn't work with my key code. Went to their site and was told I would have to subscribe to use my already paid for, non OEM, full version of the software. That's when I first found dvd dycripter. Kind of anti anyone who steals my cash you know....

    So is it free to use now? If so, will it still shrink and/or convert?
    The shrink, convert etc., is free for trial for 30 days then it reverts to only HD Decrypter for free. I've been using DVDShrink for so long that all I really cared about was the Decrypter anyway. It really has been great for the bigtime kid's movies to load on the N7 and our laptop.

    I was using several free programs that were built on top of DVD Decrypter, but I started to run into problems constantly and a friend told me about DVDFab. They update their Decrypter everytime there is a new release with a new scheme. That is the only downside is that you have to keep up with the latest release (about every two weeks).
  11. #11  
    cognus's Avatar

    Posts
    126 Posts
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts

    Default Re: Netflix?

    I have used a number of these and at the moment I really like "Freemake" - it does the decrypting on the fly [at least for the dvd's I"ve tried so far], converts to the format of your choice, etc all with just the push of the "button". reasonably fast on my now-aging Pentium 4 lab mule - spitting out 720p mp4's for my laptop and nexus...
    Thanked by:
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Netflix?

    Quote Originally Posted by cognus View Post
    I have used a number of these and at the moment I really like "Freemake" - it does the decrypting on the fly [at least for the dvd's I"ve tried so far], converts to the format of your choice, etc all with just the push of the "button". reasonably fast on my now-aging Pentium 4 lab mule - spitting out 720p mp4's for my laptop and nexus...
    Looks like a good app but I would still need HD Decrypter from DVDFab. The website indicates that it does not rip protected DVDs (decoding/converting but not decrypting). Definitely does more than Handbrake and the price is right. If I need anything beyond simple conversion from DVD/iso to mp4 then I will give it a try.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Netflix?

    Quote Originally Posted by cognus View Post
    I have used a number of these and at the moment I really like "Freemake" - it does the decrypting on the fly [at least for the dvd's I"ve tried so far], converts to the format of your choice, etc all with just the push of the "button". reasonably fast on my now-aging Pentium 4 lab mule - spitting out 720p mp4's for my laptop and nexus...
    Aside from installing "Strongvault" without permission, it looks pretty good. Even handles a dvr-ms (pre win7) windows media center file, even has an editor. At 720p, the file size of a 8min 42sec vid is 208 meg (= 32.2 meg per min or 31 min per gig), and it says a 2hr 18min dvd movie at 720x480 (org dvd size) would be 2,295 meg (= 16.6 meg per min or 60 min per gig).

    I like it...
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Netflix?

    [quoted post deleted by moderator]

    Save it for later?
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 02-26-2013 at 09:29 AM.
    42... need I say more...
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Netflix?

    This one ?...
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Netflix?

    Quote Originally Posted by mathelm View Post
    This one ?...
    Yes, that is the one I have....
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Netflix?

    Quote Originally Posted by luke31 View Post
    You can only stream movies from Netflix. There is no dedicated app for viewing Prime video, but I believe that by installing a browser that supports flash and then side loading flash, you can watch Prime videos through that browser.

    I only have the 16gb Nexus 7, so I bought a USB OTG cable that let's me connect my flash drive to my nexus 7. I can then watch movies (offline) on the n7 that are stored on the flash drive.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    How did you do this? I believe I have the USB OTG cable also. That is exactly what I was trying to do and when I plugged in the cable the device never recognized that I had plugged anything in. Please help me!!
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Netflix?

    Quote Originally Posted by acts2lady View Post
    How did you do this? I believe I have the USB OTG cable also. That is exactly what I was trying to do and when I plugged in the cable the device never recognized that I had plugged anything in. Please help me!!
    Unless you are rooted you need to install Nexus media importer. If you are rooted you need to install stick mount.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Similar Threads

  1. EVO 4G Hotspot, PS3 and Netflix HD = success
    By xorg in forum HTC EVO 4G
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-22-2010, 09:39 AM
  2. Netflix on Android
    By cbfinger in forum Android Applications
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-10-2010, 12:47 PM
  3. Movie app (like Netflix)?
    By MissMe in forum Android Applications
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-07-2010, 01:34 PM
  4. someone needs to make a Netflix management app that works.
    By MannyZ28 in forum Android Applications
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-06-2010, 01:10 PM
  5. Netflix / Incredible TV out?
    By robh2 in forum Verizon Droid Incredible
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-26-2010, 11:05 AM

Posting Permissions

B