1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Is there a proper way to turn off the Nexus 7?

I turn off the Nexus 7 by pressing the Power Button. I sometimes will then get a screen message to turn the Power off, and sometimes I will not get that message. Why is that? Is there a proper way to turn off the device, especially where it will not drain the battery while it is “asleep”? I only seem to get about 5 hours of battery life even without wi-fi, bluetooth, or location finding.

Default Re: Is there a proper way to turn off the Nexus 7?

I think if your gaming or using for 5 hours straight that might be how long its supposed to be. What model 8 16 or 32 if its near capacity I hear it wreak havok on speed and battery life. I would like to know if there is a proper way to turn it off as well but I have a different gripe, I have to hold the power button for 25seconds or so before the nexus responds I have read that means it did a hard boot or something but idk. Hope someone gets this one.

If you press and hold the power button, the menu allowing you to shut down the N7 will pop up. If you just tap the power button, the N7 will go to sleep.

Hope this helps!
    Thanked by:

Right I got the part to turn it off but it always takes 25 seconds or so to respond when I am turning it back on. Is that normal do they boot instantly or quick ever ?

That's the normal boot time for them, takes forever - being a tablet some say don't turn it off just the quick press of the power button to sleep mode is all you need. I power down fully every now and then, but mostly leave my n7 on sleep if not in use.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    416 Global Posts
    ROM
    it changes so much

He's not talking about boot time he's talking about holding down the power button for twenty five seconds before the begins to boot, I've been experiencing this as well. I think it started since the 4.2 update

tea candles are the duct tape of candles
    beamed from the mothership...
    but its only a proxy for my
    lubuntu 12.04

Quote Originally Posted by CGleas85 View Post
    Right I got the part to turn it off but it always takes 25 seconds or so to respond when I am turning it back on. Is that normal do they boot instantly or quick ever ?
    You think that's long, try 2min 30sec start up on the Photon 4g. The Motorola logo takes about 20 seconds, then the "Welcome to" takes about 5-10, then the "NOW" part takes the remaining part of the 2:30.

Outdated yet Young Motorola Photon 4G

Outdated yet Young Motorola Photon 4G
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by craZDude View Post
    If you press and hold the power button, the menu allowing you to shut down the N7 will pop up. If you just tap the power button, the N7 will go to sleep.

Hope this helps!
    So which is the preferred method of turning it off? Which method will result in the least battery drain??
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

So which is the preferred method of turning it off?? Which method will result in the least battery drain??

turning it off will save you the most power but takes a while to boot up. on the other hand just putting it to sleep gives you a quick wakeup with a small loss of battery.. it really depends on how you're planning to use it at the time if your just going to sit it down a few minutes put it on sleep, if you're planning to be away from it for a fairly long time (like 3 or 4 days) cut it off.

Quote Originally Posted by A-android-B View Post
    He's not talking about boot time he's talking about holding down the power button for twenty five seconds before the begins to boot, I've been experiencing this as well. I think it started since the 4.2 update

tea candles are the duct tape of candles
    . in that case I would not cut the tablet off, as I said I rarely cut mine off. no real need too, as sleep really does not account for much battery use (at least on my n7) maybe cut it off and on once or twice a month.