Help: How Can I use Nexus 7 (no HSPA+) through a cellphone?

Stephanie Thomas1

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Hi --

New here, and not entirely an electronic geek. Just got a Nexus 7 (no HSPA) and someone said I could "tether" (?) it to a cellphone if I need/want to check email in a car or use it as a GPS. How do I do this? Does one "tether" through a simple USB cord, connecting the two devices? I travel a lot, but only have a pay-as-you go phone, and am frustrated when I am not near a WiFi. Nexus 7 was a gift...

Thanks for any help.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Actually you dont tether to your smart phone. you tether from your smartphone to your Nexus 7.

what phone do you have?? if its an unlocked phone you can use the inbuild tether. 3 options there. USB, wifi and blutooth.

or if its a contract phone you can use an app called FoxiFi in market. you should do this in your phone.

once you enable this lets say by wifi(best and easy method) then your Nexus 7 will see a wifi connection just like normal wifi. connect and enjoy.

axo959

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I've heard it depends on your cell service provider and your phone.

I've got this to work with my T-Mobile LG GX2 and Nexus 7 (no HSPA+)

On my phone:
settings | wireless & networks | tethering & portable hotspot | portable wi-fi hotspot
(USB and 'portable wi-fi hotspot' were the two options)

On my Nexus 7:
turn on wi-fi | selected my phones' wi-fi (the wi-fi network name was the model of my phone)

Hope that helps.

jdauria

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
This doesnt work if you have AT&T right? You have to pay for hotspot to get tethering? Is this correct? Is there a way around this without AT&T calling me up to say "you need to add hotspot to you plan"

darkoman4

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
This doesnt work if you have AT&T right? You have to pay for hotspot to get tethering? Is this correct? Is there a way around this without AT&T calling me up to say "you need to add hotspot to you plan"
That's correct unless you are on a new share family data plan. You can still use apps from play store to activate hot spot on your phone and two of these apps have been mentioned already above. You also should know that by doing this you are in violation of your TOA with your provider.

jdauria

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
That's correct unless you are on a new share family data plan. You can still use apps from play store to activate hot spot on your phone and two of these apps have been mentioned already above. You also should know that by doing this you are in violation of your TOA with your provider.

This is what I thought :( I don't feel like paying the extra money a month for hotspot. I used to do this on my blackberry all the time with no problems on AT&T

CampCash

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
My DSL has been on the blink for two weeks. So, have used my Verizon Rezound as a 4g LTE mobile HotSpot for my Nexus 7, wife's Nexus 10, laptops, and to download big patches on my sons PlayStation 3. It really works great (actually faster than my DSL), but the usage limits keep you in check.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance