Ereader App Question

couper72

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
If I download a dictionary app such as M-W and I am reading a book in a Ereader such as Coolreader or FBreader will tapping on a word automatically search the dictionary for the meaning? Any suggestions for a good reader app?

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I use the Kindle app because I like the great selection in the book store and that has a dictionary. Adilko is also a good ereader app if you want to use your own epub files, but the last time I used it, the book store was garbage.

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
If I download a dictionary app such as M-W and I am reading a book in a Ereader such as Coolreader or FBreader will tapping on a word automatically search the dictionary for the meaning? Any suggestions for a good reader app?

Most ereaders have a predefined set of possible dictionaries that can be installed. Some are on-line, some downloaded on install. For instance, CoolReader has a list of about 10 dictionaries.

I did not see M-W on the list of possibles in CoolReader or MoonReader, but it is a downloaded type. I would think that M-W is not going to be very cooperative in letting others use their proprietary app in another persons app, if you know what I mean.

At any rate, you should give CoolReader and MoonReader a try and see if they suit you better than the Kindle. There is no reason you can not use more than one eReader...I have 3 on my N7 atm.

Donoghan

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. Can the Kindle dictionary be accessed off-line? Not always connected to wi-fi.

Yes. Just be sure to try to define a word so that it prompts you to download the dictionary, then it is available offline.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

couper72

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Most ereaders have a predefined set of possible dictionaries that can be installed. Some are on-line, some downloaded on install. For instance, CoolReader has a list of about 10 dictionaries.

I did not see M-W on the list of possibles in CoolReader or MoonReader, but it is a downloaded type. I would think that M-W is not going to be very cooperative in letting others use their proprietary app in another persons app, if you know what I mean.

At any rate, you should give CoolReader and MoonReader a try and see if they suit you better than the Kindle. There is no reason you can not use more than one eReader...I have 3 on my N7 atm.

Did not consider the proprietary angle - don't want to upset the Merriam-Webster folks. Guess I'll give CoolReader a shot.

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Also, you CAN install Amazon Mobile app and purchase/download their books or everything else, although I would guess wireless delivery would require the Kindle app to be installed at least. I have a kindle device so don't have a clue how it all would work without one. Possibly you can download to your PC and then transfer to your N7 without too much difficulty.

see here as well:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...oogle-nexus-7-tips-tricks-13.html#post2380493

Donoghan

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
Also, you CAN install Amazon Mobile app and purchase/download their books or everything else, although I would guess wireless delivery would require the Kindle app to be installed at least. I have a kindle device so don't have a clue how it all would work without one. Possibly you can download to your PC and then transfer to your N7 without too much difficulty.

see here as well:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...oogle-nexus-7-tips-tricks-13.html#post2380493

Inside the Kindle app you just tap "Kindle Store" and shop for books within the app. Google aren't greedy about that like Apple. Apple doesn't "allow" Amazon to even have a link to the Kindle Store within the iOS version of the Kindle app.