Installation/operation of Skype on Nexus 7

jf101

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Hi!

I am planning to get my 71 year old mother in law a WiFi-only Nexus 7 so she can Skype with my family.

Is installation easy (I heard that I need to get a the Nexus 7 camera launcher app, first?)?

Will launching Skype be as easy as tapping the icon?

Thanks in advance!

kimikookskookis

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
normally Skype com es Wirth it's own camera interface. the nexus 7 camera launcher is there Tod take pictures for Tour gallery in the tablet

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

kimikookskookis

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
yep, only landscape, which nicht be a Problem regarding the Position oft the camera in the nexus 7

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Might I suggest trying Tango instead of skype.

Skype for me has been nothing but headaches on the android platform. We still use skype when we video conference on wondows based PCs, but when talking on mobile devices, we don't even bother anymore. We just use Tango.

(Fair disclosure I haven't actually tried Tango on my N7, as I just use my phone.)

-Suntan

tabletnovice

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
Skype for me has been nothing but headaches on the android platform. We still use skype when we video conference on wondows based PCs, but when talking on mobile devices, we don't even bother anymore.

I wholeheartedly agree!

Skype, on my N7 is a waste. Recent upgrades have made a mediocre app less than mediocre. Sykpe on my PC is great but I rarely use it on my N7, especially since it's landscapre only as of this writing.. All you have to read are the user reviews in the Google Play store to understand why you should seek an alternative, unless you use it only for audio (and not text or video conferencing).

Skype on my N7 has been a huge disappointment!

CGleas85

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Landscape also makes the picture look like you are looking to the side.. Try it take a pick and look in the center of the screen.

kimikookskookis

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
And what are good alternatives? And I mean those that have an Android App and PC program? I was sky ping with my parents today and holding the tablet in landscape was very awkward!

iHelpYouShy

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I use Skype all the time and when I cam, I just hold N7 in portrait mode and it works fine. Although when you chat, its always in landscape mode. Maybe its just me.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
And what are good alternatives? And I mean those that have an Android App and PC program? I was sky ping with my parents today and holding the tablet in landscape was very awkward!

Tango has a PC app. The PC app isn't as full featured as the Skype PC app, but it is an option.

-Suntan

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I am planning to get my 71 year old mother in law a WiFi-only Nexus 7 so she can Skype with my family.
Are you sure an Android device is the right choice for your 71 year old mother? I love Android and my Nexus 7, and have no use for iPads, but I'd be more likely to recommend an iPad than a Nexus 7 for an older person who is not technically adept. For all I know, your mother might be a retired computer programmer, but more often someone that age is a bit gadget-challenged, even if they use a Windows computer for common tasks.

An iPad, for all of its closed ecosystem, boring and dated interface, and horrid, cult-like media following, is simpler to learn and more polished. My 81 year old mother uses an iPhone pretty well, though even that is sometimes a challenge (it took her awhile, but she is finally able to post photos taken on the phone to her Facebook page, all on her own). If she had an Android phone, I just have a feeling her learning curve would be much greater.

So, depending on the gadget prowess of your mother, as well as the generosity of your pocketbook, maybe (gasp!) an iPad or iPad Mini would be a better choice. I've used Skype on my mom's iPhone, and it works quite well. I'd assume it would be the same experience on an iPad. Just food (very bad tasting food for us Android aficionados) for thought.

By the way, I refuse to update Skype on my N7 until they bring back the portrait mode option for tablets.

bwees

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
Why would you want to compare N 7 tab to iPad? Ipad is overpriced and mainly restricted to iTunes, like for Kindles, Android is freedom, so pointless to compare, they are two different things, it's up to you and depends what you want to do, what's better a 4x4 or a sportive car? It's nonsense. I'd rather discuss and compare android 4.0 to 4.2 compatibility in the today web scenario to see how long it'll take for the web to be 'in the future' and the costs for doing so

tabletnovice

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
Are you sure an Android device is the right choice for your 71 year old mother?

I'm close to that age and thoroughly enjoying my Nexus 7, my first ever tablet (and I've never used a smartphone)! I think there is a learning curve for any tablet but, with a little help, anyone can learn to use it, even a technically challenged young person. I use the tablet to read books, keep up with the news, watch a few videos, check email and my calendar and occasionally use Skype. I have no need or interest to get into all the geeky stuff that many forum participants are into.

Base your buying decision based on features and how you will use the tablet, not age.

Before the recent update, the Skype app would go into portrait mode. Now it's only in landscape mode, making it less than ideal for video chat (but not voice only chat). I'm sure this problem will be fixed in a future upgrade because there have been so many complaints about it.

Last edited:

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Why would you want to compare N 7 tab to iPad? Ipad is overpriced and mainly restricted to iTunes, like for Kindles, Android is freedom, so pointless to compare, they are two different things, it's up to you and depends what you want to do, what's better a 4x4 or a sportive car? It's nonsense. I'd rather discuss and compare android 4.0 to 4.2 compatibility in the today web scenario to see how long it'll take for the web to be 'in the future' and the costs for doing so
Please re-read my post and pay attention this time. The point wasn't to compare devices, but to match different devices to different users. In the end, they're both tools that achieve the same result (run apps, access internet, etc.) in slightly different ways. I doubt the OP's mother gives a flying donut about the freedom of Android. I suspect that what is most important is simplicity and ease of use. The sacrifice to attain this is often a more restrictive, less customizable, system. Depending on the person, this might be the much better choice. For me and you, no. But for a lot of older or non-gadget savvy people, yes it is.

As for your last sentence, I have no clue what you are talking about.

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm close to that age and thoroughly enjoying my Nexus 7, my first ever tablet (and I've never used a smartphone)! I think there is a learning curve for any tablet but, with a little help, anyone can learn to use it, even a technically challenged young person. I use the tablet to read books, keep up with the news, watch a few videos, check email and my calendar and occasionally use Skype. I have no need or interest to get into all the geeky stuff that many forum participants are into.

Base your buying decision based on features and how you will use the tablet, not age.
You are correct! Ability is not necessarily age related, though I think, on average, those in their 70s and 80s might have a slightly bigger learning curve (yet learn, they can certainly still do!). As always, though, it depends on their background and individual abilities. I know younger people who are extremely computer and gadget-challenged, so age is far from the only factor. So for those needing a smaller learning curve (yet learn they still must do), and who don't care about all the geeky stuff, then an iSomething might be the better choice, without regard to price.

In this case, though, I was referring specifically to the situation of the OP, and I think I referenced that it depended on the gadget-prowess of his mother. I was careful not to make a blanket statement, simply based on age. My 85 year old father, who does basic Excel spreadsheets as part of his volunteer coaching duties for the local school children's track and cross country teams, would certainly make sure that I never made such a blanket statement! Granted, I get a little frustrated when he asks me the same questions a few times about how to do some basic Excel task, but he always reminds me that it is because he is a very, very old man!

bwees

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
I think it doesn't change much especially if you are using the tablet clicking icons and getting what's already there or d/l applications. I can't see any difference for an old mom using either the ipad or androids it should be the same, maybe the iPad with iTunes it's a bit more complicated

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I think it doesn't change much especially if you are using the tablet clicking icons and getting what's already there or d/l applications. I can't see any difference for an old mom using either the ipad or androids it should be the same, maybe the iPad with iTunes it's a bit more complicated
There is a learning curve regardless, this is true. I think iOS is a bit easier to learn, since it has fewer bells and whistles. This also means that it is slightly more stable and less prone to crashing and odd behavior, though Android has come a long way in that respect and is now a mature OS.

I agree that iTunes seemed to be designed with the opposite philosophy of the iPhone, and is complicated and not intuitive. It even confused me, and I can usually pick up the basics of new programs pretty quickly. Luckily, it's really not needed much, as Apple uses the Cloud for most things. My mom's iPhone no longer needs to be attached to the computer, as backups are done to the Cloud, plus her contacts and calendar and apps are there. Even pictures she's taken with the phone are automatically downloaded to her computer without her even knowing, and photos can be uploaded from her computer to the phone by dragging into a folder (yes, I know Android can do the same with the right apps). So iTunes sits on the computer unused, quite thankfully so. This was always one advantage of Android - no special software on the computer was ever needed.

In the end, it depends on the user's ability (not necessarily age, as tabletnovice reminds us) and what they'll use it for as to which device to get. But in general, on average, overall, and by a whisker, iOS devices, overpriced and boring as they may be, are slightly easier to learn and maintain for a complete novice. If the only thing the tablet will be used for is Skype, then you're right, it probably doesn't matter, except that the newest version of Skype sucks on the Nexus 7.

bwees

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
I totally agree with the use of iTunes, it's how to make simple things complicated at the point it takes ages to do what usually takes a short time. Did you check the Kindle Fire HD? That's very straight forward to use, easy, it's restricted to amazon but it's very intuitive and I think as a tablet is quite nice

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000