1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Question about leaving screen turned on 24/7

So I've been looking all over and haven't been able to find anyone talking about this yet. Are there any statistics on how long a tablet will last if left with the screen turned on 24/7. I don't mean battery life, I mean tablet life, like will it just give out or wear out or just break. Or are there stability issues or such. With tablet prices so low, I've thought about wall mounting a few around the house and leaving their screens turned on with web cam views or weather or music controls or whatever. I would want to be able to walk in a room and not have to mess with turning the screen on and opening an app. Any ideas, links, or comments would be appreciated!

Default Re: Question about leaving screen turned on 24/7

the longest unrooted wait-until-timeout you can set is 30 minutes which means that after 30 minutes of inactivity, your N7 WILL go into sleep mode.....

You can examine the stats presented by your settings > battery or app to tell you how long your tablet will run using various projected usage models but none are going to be completely accurate.

I am sure that median time to failure data is presented someplace on the Asus website but those are not necessarily going to be accurate either.

edit:
    BTW, you can root the device but I have no clue if you can find something already preset to allow changes to the 30 minute sleep setting....you would think so tho....

I'm pretty sure there is a setting in the developer settings (no root required) that will keep the screen on all the time as long as the device is plugged into a power source...that being said, I'm pretty sure this is a bad idea...
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Hi all, thanks for the discussions on this. My main question is less about how to make it stay on than if there is any data on why you shouldn't leave the screen turned on 24/7. Or if anyone is currently doing this and has had no issues. I don't want to limit it even to the Nexus 7 if someone has had an experience with a different tablet. My goal would be to get at least 2 yrs out of a tablet running 24/7 with the screen on while wall mounted. I know this is a topic that probably won't have much hard data since tablets haven't been around that long and each tablet is different, but any ideas and theories are welcome!

The only issue I can think of is the screen's LED backlight wearing out, it won't fail just get dimmer over time, and I suspect it will be noticeably dimmer after 2 years constant use. And I suppose there is the obvious one of it being more likely to fail, but I don't think there will be significant damage from running out 24/7.

While browsing the tips thread here I saw something that will definitely solve your display all the time issue. Read up on "Daydream":

http://forums.androidcentral.com/goo...ml#post2453953

You might want to root your device in any case but that will get your started at least. I would go ahead and just try out your idea. These tablets probably will go obsolete pretty quickly since this area of hardware has a tremendous innovation rate at the moment.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Cool tip, thanks for the info! I agree about how obsolete the tablets get so fast. I currently have the very first Samsung Tab 7" tablet that was released a few years ago, but for the purpose of just being on and displaying camera feeds or weather or sonos music control, it is still a great device. I'd love for a wall mounted system to last a number of years since they don't need to be all that powerful to do some simple tasks.
    Last edited by jimrogers1212; 12-21-2012 at 02:13 PM.

I don't know what the backlight is, but if it's an LED I say you can go two years easy.

If you don't want to open the app every time, go to Settings---> Security---> Screen Lock---> Choose 'None'. Now, open up the app and lock the screen. Every time you unlock your screen, it'll go straight to your application.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by ohmslaw View Post
    I don't know what the backlight is, but if it's an LED I say you can go two years easy.
    Yea, I don't think LED's "dim" over time. And they have an extremely long life span....