Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By alazose
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default is it possible many of our battery problems are misreporting?

I've been having issues, and I've been looking at other thread, it seems to be a relatively common problem. But we don't all have the same symptoms.

Could it be less an issue of actual battery problems, and more that jellybean is misreporting? I still can't tell if it's hardware or software.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/goo...-problems.html

http://forums.androidcentral.com/goo...new-issue.html

Default Re: is it possible many of our battery problems are misreporting?

Wait until your device dies from lack of battery, and then you'll know. Part of my issue is that the battery declines slowly for the first ~10%, then decreases rapidly after that. But I also have worse than average battery in general, I think. How many hours of web browsing, with screen at min brightness, do you get? Because I get ~5 hours at best, with everything else turned off. It kinda pisses me off that Google advertises 10 hours--unless that's really what I should be getting.

It doesn't bug me a whole lot since I don't spend like 6 hours on the device, but it's still annoying. I doubt ASUS will do anything about it, I've had battery issues with their laptops in the past and they usually attribute it to user consumption habits. A Google rep once literally told me that it was because I have 4GB of music on the device.

Iím lucky to get 5 hours between charges, and thatís with wi-fi, Bluetooth, and GPS turned off. Iíve started using reduced brightness, but that takes the joy out of using the device. Iím sure the next updated Nexus 7 will have a 5MP back-facing camera, an SD card slot, and a removable battery that lasts for an actual 15 hours. Then we can recharge the drained battery - which will only take 30 minutes for a full charge Ė while we insert the spare. And the price of the unit will not increase. You listening, Google?
    rollandl likes this.

Battery is removable....

Thanked by:
    Yorker 

Impressive didn't know the back would come off that easily. Believe the manufacturers don't want you taking the battery out because they can be dangerous if mishandled.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by alazose View Post
    Iím lucky to get 5 hours between charges, and thatís with wi-fi, Bluetooth, and GPS turned off. Iíve started using reduced brightness, but that takes the joy out of using the device.
    If your N7 isn't the 3G version, then this won't apply, but using wifi uses less battery than 3G.

Quote Originally Posted by alazose View Post
    Iím sure the next updated Nexus 7 will have a 5MP back-facing camera, an SD card slot, and a removable battery that lasts for an actual 15 hours. Then we can recharge the drained battery - which will only take 30 minutes for a full charge Ė while we insert the spare. And the price of the unit will not increase. You listening, Google?
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Android was ever designed to have partitioned storage space, so even if the next N7 does have a camera, there most likely won't be a microSD slot.

Outdated yet Young Motorola Photon 4G

Quote Originally Posted by jpash549 View Post
    Impressive didn't know the back would come off that easily. Believe the manufacturers don't want you taking the battery out because they can be dangerous if mishandled.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Actually I don't think it is that easy. He's just had his off so many times that the hooks are worn down. But the point still stands, the battery is replaceable....

I find my battery to be pretty good, if I browse the net, use a few apps which dont use to much processer I can easilly 10 hours out of it. Play a 3d heavy game like MC4, Dead Space or watch a 720p film it does drain real quick, but thats obvious. Im overall pretty happy.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Just a quick comment... I was using it while it was on the charger, then took it off.

So I've been off the charger for 38 minutes using Wi-Fi, and it says it is still charged. This follows an issue over the last two or three weeks where suddenly the battery was draining 25-33% faster regardless of Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, airplane mode, etc

I have battery monitoring apps and they all say the battery is good, but it has to be misreporting. Wtf?
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

The "battery drain" thread is my own post

you know, I am wondering that too.. interesting question

I generally use my Nexus 7 about an hour or less most days. Then I let it sit with the display and Wi-Fi off until the next time I need it. What I have found is that the Nexus 7 turns off completely when it gets to something just below 40% in battery status. Most times, I just figured the battery just ran out quickly to 0% but today I turned on the Nexus right after I plugged in the charger and it said there was 36% battery left. If so, there was no reason for it to turn off like it did.

In total, I would say I get the battery life I would expect as it takes about 3 or 4 days to get there. But that strikes me as misreporting.