Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Where is thumb drive?

How can I find the contents of a thumb drive that's plugged into the N7? If it were a PC, I'd go to Computer/Removable Drive/contents. How is that done on the Nexus?

JP

Default Re: Where is thumb drive?

if you have adaptor to connect your Nexus 7 to USB drive then all you need is nexus media importer

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ususb.importer

ROM
    .246 ICS

works great
    http://www.speedtest.net/android/82639714.png
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Yes, I have the adapter and I already have Nexus Media Importer installed. What I want to do is access Mp3s on my thumb drive using ES File Explorer, allowing me to play songs sequentially. I currently do that with ES File Explorer where the Mp3s are stored in Dropbox and on Google Drive, but I don't know how to tell the software to find my thumb drive.

JP

you are using an otg usb cable correct?
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Yes. I can successfully play Mp3s with Nexus Media, but only one at a time. ES File Explorer can play more than one. I can direct the software to either Dropbox or Google Drive, but can't figure out how to direct it to my thumb drive.

JP

With Nexus Media Importer, you access the files via the NMI interface. A standard file browser won't work.

To be able to read and write other file types, as well as media and documents, you need to be rooted and have an app like StickMount. You then use other apps, like ES File Explorer or your media player, to view and manipulate the files on the flash drive.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

That sounds technically a little over my head, so I'll learn to be happy with NMI. To me, it just made sense that if NMI can play tunes from my thumb drive, ES File Explorer should be able to do so, also, but apparently, no. Thanks, anyway.

JP

ROM
    Stock Sense 4+

Using Stick Mount, the external drive can be found at sdcard/usb storage

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by jpjgolden View Post
    Yes. I can successfully play Mp3s with Nexus Media, but only one at a time. ES File Explorer can play more than one. I can direct the software to either Dropbox or Google Drive, but can't figure out how to direct it to my thumb drive.

JP
    Using Nexus Media Importer means that ALL USB memory access must be routed thru THAT APPLICATION. It does not allow other apps to directly access the USB flash drive nor can you write to the drive even in NMI.

What you CAN do is tell NMI which app will run with the various media types, like MXplayer will receive the mp4 files selected in NMI.
    If you can not get a MP3 playlist working using this technique, you can always build one file from a playlist and make that one big file play. See this useful PC app that takes only a few seconds to build a MP3 file from a selection of songs. 20 songs equals about an hours worth of music on average.

Merge MP3
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Stick mount looks cool, wxrusss8, thanks. I'll check it out...BUT I discovered how to do what I want with NMI. bibtroutz got me to take another look at it and I figured out how to play several tunes, back-to-back.

So I learned something new and found something else to play with.

JP