4.2.1 Update Always Fails. What to do Next?

68laurieann

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I purchased my Nexus 7 32GB last weekend and have really enjoyed it. I have no issues with it except when I get the notification of the 4.2.1 upgrade. I begin the install process and then the green Android robot falls on his back and there is a red triangle over his abdomen. The device seems to hang for a few minutes and then it reboots and it is still running 4.1.2. I've attempted this update everytime that I am prompted to install it but the update always fails. Does this mean that there is something wrong with my Nexus? Should I take it back to the store and exchange it? I purchased it at Office Depot in a sealed box. It was the last Nexus 7 in their store. Or is this a common issue that will eventually get sorted out on its own?

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Try a factory data reset. That will wipe all your data and you'll have to setup from scratch again, but this might solve the problem. If not, exchange it.

theCman

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Did you install stock browser and change any system files? I had the same problem with my nexus 7

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

68laurieann

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I've done a factory reset twice and that didn't solve the issue. It is running the stock software and I did not change any system files

Cman, did you end up exchanging yours? Or did you find a workaround?

theCman

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Sorry for the late reply, I actually was able to fix mine although my problem was that I had changed system files. Sounds like you'd be best off contacting customer support as stated earlier.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

68laurieann

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I ended up returning my Nexus 7 to Office Depot after several failed OTA update failures & factory resets. This device had version 4.1.2 installed even though on the outside of the box it stated it came with 4.2 brand new. I suspected that either I received a refurbished device or there was something really wrong with the stock software that wasn't allowing the OTA to be installed.

I didn't want to deal with the hassle of troubleshooting over the phone. According to my receipt, this was purchased during Office Depot's Holiday Season. I could return it without having to get an exchange or do a refund without having to pay a restocking fee. I read online that normally their return policy is really awful so I just would rather take advantage of the small window of opportunity to get a refund. Perhaps after the holidays are over, I'll give it another go and purchase it from Walmart or Amazon.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Unknown