Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Default Re: Nexus 7 hdmi to hdtv

One use for an HDMI out is at hotels. Often their TVs have an input, so bringing a tablet and a cable can enable you to play your own content.
    Thanked by:

Yeah stinks that the nexus 7 doesn't have Hdmi port they always leave out one key feature they just can't let us have it all :/ I would love to stream right to my laptop or tv

The amazing galaxy s3

Quote Originally Posted by plumberdv View Post
    I have a serious (as opposed to sarcastic) question about the "need" for an HDMI output on the N7.

I've racked my brain and for the life of me, I can't come up with any possible reason that I would need one. I understand that it might be used to stream or output movies to a TV but I don't see where I would ever use that. I have two large and one small flat screen TV's which are either internet capable or have an internet capable Bluray player attached to them. I'd use them for movies even if my N7's had the HDMI output.

For any other uses I can come up with, I can (and do) hook up my laptop direct to the TV via it's HDMI output. In fact, I use a smaller (32") flat screen as the monitor for my office desktop computer.

What am I missing here? I'm honestly very curious to know so please excuse my ignorance on the subject.
    You're missing that not everyone is loaded with internet enabled devices like smart TVs and Blu Ray players, and the other thing you miss is that most people use their devices on the move in holiday homes, at work, at friends, in hotels, etc., not at home on their sofa.
    Thanked by:

Blackberry Playbook has HDMI output and the prices for the Playbook are WAY WAY down; it weighs slightly more than the Nexus 7, but is equally portable, and comes with MS Office already installed if you need that on your travels. I have loaded my own Windows Movie Maker video on it, to share with friends as I travel and it works well.

As others have said - good for movies/tv shows in hotels and such. Also, you can show your latest travel/baby/kids/what ever photos and videos to friends/family on their TV.

Another big advantage is an all digital path for audio. I plug my N7 (with Google Play Music) into my AV system a lot via the audio plug and it does pick up some noise - not sure the cause. It's not terrible but you can hear it on quiet passages. However, same AV system with a PC/HDMI source does not have much noise at all. I much prefer the all digital connection for music.

Phil

I guess the point you are missing sir, is that most of us cannot afford such luxuries and must try to improve upon which we may have. Just my two pennies worth.

Here's a previous thread of almost the same subject. Please refer to it for further assistance. http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho....php?p=2420823

Nexus 7|Android Forums

Global Posts
    35 Global Posts

I have a serious (as opposed to sarcastic) question about the "need" for an HDMI output on the N7.

I've racked my brain and for the life of me, I can't come up with any possible reason that I would need one. I understand that it might be used to stream or output movies to a TV but I don't see where I would ever use that. I have two large and one small flat screen TV's which are either internet capable or have an internet capable Bluray player attached to them. I'd use them for movies even if my N7's had the HDMI output.

For any other uses I can come up with, I can (and do) hook up my laptop direct to the TV via it's HDMI output. In fact, I use a smaller (32") flat screen as the monitor for my office desktop computer.

What am I missing here? I'm honestly very curious to know so please excuse my ignorance on the subject.
    So your situation applies to everyone in the world....

strong logic.

Good question. Here are my reasons for HDMI. Currently my nexus 7 doesn't have that capability, so i drag my lower resolution Droid Razr upstairs with me each night before going to bed and plug it in to my bedroom's hdmi cable which extends to my nightstand.

1)There, i control my DVR from downstairs via Slingbox. I pause what i was watching downstairs, come upstairs, and unpause.
    2)I also watch my netflix shows via HDMI on this phone's yucky resolution
    3)Occasionally, i'll watch a DLNA movie streamed from my server

4)Sometimes I just surf the internet and watch youtube or facebook videos on it.
    5)I sometimes take my phone/<wish i had the nexus 7> over to my friends and parents house and watch slingbox/netflix over there too. My folks have no cable, just a nice tv they watch old VHS movies on except when i get there.

Just a few of the typical situations i come across.

Lightbulb Re: Nexus 7 hdmi to hdtv

I just signed up so that I could answer this post. I don't know if you've traveled with anything that had a hookup to a TV in the last 10 years, but I have and have collected adapters of all kinds from the effort. Micro HDMI is truly a blessing, depending on who you are visiting. Here is a situation where you might use one.

A few months ago, I went to stay at a relatives apartment out of state to attend a funeral. A few other relatives from all over the country were also staying there. When we were not discussing travel arrangements, estate issues or what we will most about our dearly departed, we entertained ourselves with Netflix. Both my phone and tablet had micro HDMI so all I needed to do was plug the charger in close to the TV and hookup the cable. Luckily they had recently upgraded to their first flat-panel TV and it had an HDMI input. I mention that because I recently retired a flat screen TV that had component as its best input only because it wasn't worth repairing anymore.

If it weren't for that, I may have had to hookup my Netbook to do the job with its VGA port. It runs really slow and hot when streaming video or other processor intense activities. My latest TV has HDMI, component and even composite video, but no VGA or S-video. If they had that TV and I didn't have the tablet or phone with micro HDMI, there would have been plenty of times where we were either all huddled around my little 7 inch screen, watching live TV (commercials, ugh!), staring at each other or going out on the balcony to smoke a lot more cigarettes than they normally would (the few who smoked). Thank goodness their TV needed upgrading because I was seriously considering adding a HDMI-to-VGA adapter to my travel bag so I could at least borrow a computer monitor.

The point is, you me and just about everyone who visits a site like this may have all the technology they need to do what we want/need to do on a daily basis AT HOME. If everyone you know is withing 100 miles of you, congratulations! I sort of envy you. But you soon realize how much you take for granted when you visit people who aren't as up to speed. Next is a story about someone who was almost there.

Someone I've know for years (and lives close by) got their kids Nook Colors for Christmas and I helped them get them on the parent's account and a few choice apps downloaded. After two months I get an email asking why their Wi-Fi wasn't working anymore. Long story short, they (and I) assumed that Wi-Fi came with their internet connection even though an ISP rep hadn't been in their house since the day it was installed which I am guessing was at least 4 years since the family desktop PC is running Windows XP...and slowly. The Nooks were connected to a neighbor who (i assume) figured out someone else was on their Wi-Fi and finally added a password to it. So now they are looking for a Wi-Fi router because the only thing they had connected to the internet was their family PC, probably direct to the modem. When I visit, we usually just hang out, eat and talk so it never dawned on me to see just how they had internet access.

Now, I'm not putting them or anyone like them down, but experiences like these have taught me a few things:

• If I want my creature comforts, I have to take them with me (sometimes that includes turning your phone into a hotspot).
    • More people than not are perfectly happy not having the latest tech. Let them be.
    • Do not buy new technology as a gift for people who are either too far behind, or of a certain age. You're just buying yourself a tutoring job.

Took a few tries for that last one to sink in.

My Nexus 10 works great with my Panasonic Viera TX P42S10B

Quote Originally Posted by RonD View Post
    Unfortunately the Nexus 10 is not compatible with Panasonic TV's.
    My Nexus 10 works great with my Panasonic Viera TX P42S10B

Quote Originally Posted by RonD View Post
    The Nexus 10 and Panasonic TV's don't like each other and don't send audio, only video.
    My nexus 10 works great with my Panasonic's HDMI input, both video and sound.

Please tell me how to do the title
    Guy Stacpoole

I don't mean to be rude, but please read the thread, the answer is in the second post.

Default Re: Nexus 7 hdmi to hdtv coneckt

how conect nexus7 whid hdtv

Default Re: Nexus 7 hdmi to hdtv nexus

Bad thing about the N7 is that to watch a movie in it, the sound is awful. Always have
    To use earbuds... no stereo speakers. Next tablet I buy will have that AND an HDMI port

"Internet Capable" doesn't mean those devices can do every method or source of content you might want. They might be able to broad the web or pay flash video, but might not support streaming services like netflix for example.

DLNA functions aren't sufficient, because it only works for files stored on the tablet. It doesn't work for streaming services like Google Play movies - you need a native display connection like HDMI or MHL to display those on a TV.

Thumbs up Re: Nexus 7 hdmi to hdtv

Buy a google chromecast for 35 bucks. You can then watch anything from any android or computer via the chromecast hooked to your tv.

Quote Originally Posted by Unorthodoxmuse View Post
    Buy a google chromecast for 35 bucks. You can then watch anything from any android or computer via the chromecast hooked to your tv.
    Not anything

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    Tablets: 2nd gen Nexus 7 32gb, 1st gen Nexus 7 16gb
    Phone: Droid MAXX
    Retired: OG Droid, Droid RAZR (RIP), Galaxy Nexus (backup phone)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12