Nexus 7 hdmi to hdtv

valpd

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I want to buy my father a Nexus 7, but I need help in determining what HDMI adapter would work so I can connect it to his HDTV. He will be using an app to watch European tv.

Any help is appreciated.

pbelfi

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
The Nexus 7 doesn't have HDMI capabilities unfortunately..... It was thought that when miracast was implemented, that it would support that, but that didn't happen and so far there are no compatible devices for the Nexus 7.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site

valpd

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
While you can not directly link the N7 to a TV via cable, you can use the N7 to stream media either via a streaming DLNA or UPnP app or via a remote control app (many to choose from eg Gmote)

iMediaShare Lite https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...SwxLDMsImNvbS5iaWFub3IuYW1zIl0&token=PiaRAsFK.

BubbleUPnP https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...bbleupnp&feature=search_result&token=hWokhQk6

Gmote https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...5nbW90ZS5jbGllbnQuYW5kcm9pZCJd&token=8c225UYZ

Thanks. Unfortunately my Panasonic and Samsung plasma TV's don't have the capability
that iMediaShare Lite has. Any workaround? If I don't have the TV for this can I buy something for my TV to make it capable of it?

Last edited:

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. Unfortunately my Panasonic and Samsung plasma TV's don't have the capability
that iMediaShare Lite has. Any workaround? If I don't have the TV for this can I buy something for my TV to make it capable of it?

Yes, the work around is buying a Nexus 10 that has Micro HDMI

Nexus 10 Tech Specs

I have already wasted $60 buying a Miracast PTV3000 that won't work on Nexus 7 or Nexus 10 but I have been told is supported on the Nexus 4 phone...

pbelfi

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
According to the specs on the Nexus 10, it has a micro HDMI port, so all you would need too make it work would be a cable.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
According to the specs on the Nexus 10, it has a micro HDMI port, so all you would need too make it work would be a cable.

That is correct. I just went and read the Nexus 10 forum and they are sending HD video and Audio over the micro HDMI port to the full size HDMI port on the TV. It works out of the box but some people have had issues with bad cables.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
There are a number of tablegs on the market with hdmi output capability. Even some 7" ones in the same price range as the N7.

If tv output is a big requirement, look elsewhere. There are lots of options.

-Suntan

Weirdo0815

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
You could buy a UPnP capable set top box like Google TV devices or Roku devices. These can range from $50-100. You will also get additional capabilities by using such devices.

As far as what to use on your Nexus 7, my recommendation is BubbleUPnP. I use it on all my Android devices. Works fantastic as both a client and server.

Although it doesn't get great reviews, I use and love my Vizio Co-Star Google TV. I have it hooked up to a non-smart LG TV and the built in UPnP program on the Co-Star works great when I load up BubbleUPnP on my phone and my tablets. My only warning is to have your tablet plugged in if you want to stream for a while, it's not friendly to battery life.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site

Yes, there are tons of DLNA and UPnP compatible devices. My device shows up automatically in both iMediaShare and in BubbleUPnP but frankly, the DLNA device itself and my LAN are both better and more capable video source than the N7, even tho the apps do have useful features. I have mine wired to my gigabyte LAN but it also has WiFi that works fine.

KDlinks Player -> Amazon.com: kdLinks HD680 Extreme Network 1080P HD Media Player w/ Realtek 1185 & Built-In Wifi: Electronics

plumberdv

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I have a serious (as opposed to sarcastic) question about the "need" for an HDMI output on the N7.

I've racked my brain and for the life of me, I can't come up with any possible reason that I would need one. I understand that it might be used to stream or output movies to a TV but I don't see where I would ever use that. I have two large and one small flat screen TV's which are either internet capable or have an internet capable Bluray player attached to them. I'd use them for movies even if my N7's had the HDMI output.

For any other uses I can come up with, I can (and do) hook up my laptop direct to the TV via it's HDMI output. In fact, I use a smaller (32") flat screen as the monitor for my office desktop computer.

What am I missing here? I'm honestly very curious to know so please excuse my ignorance on the subject.

pbelfi

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
I may be ignorant but I have to ask......by running a UPnP device, will that give me the capability to "mirror" my N7 to my TV? What I mean is will I be able to bring up my browser, and games from my N7, and it'll display on my TV, or does UPnP act as a media server, to just stream content?

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Before I got the N7, I had the Acer Iconia A100 and it has an HDMI out that works really well. Both tablets have their ups and downs, so it all depends on what you are looking for. After that one bit the dust (cold killed it), I went with the N7.

A100:
+Rear Camera
+Micro SD
+HDMI out
-crappy screen
-Not Google: very few updates
-crappy Battery Life
-Pretty Heavy
-Dual Core & Tegra 2

N7:
+Google: great update support
+Awesome screen
+Lightweight
+Better battery life
+Quad Core & Tegra 3
-No Rear Camera
-No SD slot
-no HDMI out

IMO, those are the best 2 Android tablets out there right now (maybe the fire, but I don't like how Amazon trashed the OS and locks down the system).

DVDmike

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
The reason why I want an HDMI out if for portability. If I take a tablet outside of my home to someone else's home, I want a fast and easy way to hook it up to the TV at the new location. I had my heart set on the Nexus 7 until I read that it does not have an HDMI out. Am I missing something?

roblox84

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I really miss an hdmi port also since all my media is digital and kept on my laptop and N7 but there are no good 7 inch tablets out there besides this one. In order to watch downloaded movies/tv through hdmi ill be stuck with lugging around my heavy gaming laptop, charger, chiller mat and mouse up and down the stairs for a while yet.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I love my N7 but I will never buy another tablet that doesn't have a either a HDMI port or something like Miracast. DVD and Blue-Ray disk are going the way of the dinosaur.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I have a serious (as opposed to sarcastic) question about the "need" for an HDMI output on the N7.

I've racked my brain and for the life of me, I can't come up with any possible reason that I would need one. I understand that it might be used to stream or output movies to a TV but I don't see where I would ever use that. I have two large and one small flat screen TV's which are either internet capable or have an internet capable Bluray player attached to them. I'd use them for movies even if my N7's had the HDMI output.

For any other uses I can come up with, I can (and do) hook up my laptop direct to the TV via it's HDMI output. In fact, I use a smaller (32") flat screen as the monitor for my office desktop computer.

What am I missing here? I'm honestly very curious to know so please excuse my ignorance on the subject.

I travel a decent bit for work. When on business travel my day tends to end around 2:30 in the afternoon and the towns I have to travel to are not filled with things to do. Fortunately, I have hotels with flatscreen TVs and HDMI inputs. I enjoy the ability to watch shows on the tablet when running on the hotel treadmill, then being able to hook into the hotel TV when I get back in the room.

Currently I do this with my phone (Galaxy S3) and it is fairly trivial to move the video files from the N7 and the phone (but still an annoyance.)

Games are a different story. I'm half way through Nova 3 on the N7. It would be nice to be able to plug in and continue playing on the TV (with a BT controller) when the situation allows, but I don't have that option with the N7.

As for lugging a laptop all around, no thanks. I got rid of that boat anchor years ago and have no desire to go back to toting that on travel.

-Suntan

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I travel a decent bit for work. When on business travel my day tends to end around 2:30 in the afternoon and the towns I have to travel to are not filled with things to do. Fortunately, I have hotels with flatscreen TVs and HDMI inputs. I enjoy the ability to watch shows on the tablet when running on the hotel treadmill, then being able to hook into the hotel TV when I get back in the room.

Currently I do this with my phone (Galaxy S3) and it is fairly trivial to move the video files from the N7 and the phone (but still an annoyance.)

Games are a different story. I'm half way through Nova 3 on the N7. It would be nice to be able to plug in and continue playing on the TV (with a BT controller) when the situation allows, but I don't have that option with the N7.

As for lugging a laptop all around, no thanks. I got rid of that boat anchor years ago and have no desire to go back to toting that on travel.

-Suntan

sounds like you should get a Speck player, suntan

Amazon.com: Micca Speck 1080p Full-HD Ultra Portable Digital Media Player For USB Drives and SD/SDHC Cards: Electronics