Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree20Likes

Default Re: I love my Nexus 7 but ..

yes! wow I just made a thread saying I miss the camera lol. I thought it had one, but oh well, it beats the iPad :P
    Thanked by:
    SonDan 

Nope, I don't miss a camera on the back. I've got one on my phone, which I carry with me all the time and I don't even use it.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #28  

Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    What's the point? Are there really so many people who are so cheap that they'll take pics of magazines instead of just spending a few dollars buying the magazine? Hell, the article might even be free online...
    Hope showing your rudeness and lack of knowledge made you feel better troll. I have purchased more books and mags than you will ever know.

Snapping pics is a great way to record something when there is no pen and paper. I do not photograph entire articles.

Merry Christmas.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by SonDan; 12-25-2012 at 09:47 AM.
    Proud Member of #TeamAndroid!
    Thanked by:
    Rich215 likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #29  

Quote Originally Posted by ZachA View Post
    There is no point of having a camera on a tablet. It would be nice if it had a micro SD card slot though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    When cameras were first added to smart phones lots of folks said their was no point until they found uses for it.

Now I so many on here say there is no point for the N7 to have a camera, but if it was available I guarantee you would find uses for it as I did on my Samsung gTab.

Proud Member of #TeamAndroid!

It seems that a lot of people think that having a rear camera on the Nexus 7 is silly because they already have their phone to use as a camera. Now if anything is silly, it's using your phone as a camera. Convenient perhaps, but crappy, crappy, crappy pictures, regardless of how mega its sensor may be! You can snap pics with a phone, but you take photographs with a camera, I proclaim with complete and utter snobbishness.

The reason for having a rear camera on the N7 is not for taking photographs or even snapping pics of friends at a party (though if the latter is your thing, then go for it). It's to:
    - make video calls more versatile when trying to show the caller a document or something other than yourself
    - make scanning a document or QR code or whatever easier
    - allow the use of artificial reality views utilized by some games, as well as some astronomy and aviation apps (FlightRadar24 let's you point the camera at the sky to identify specific airplane flights - kind of hard to do with a front camera only)
    - allow some apps to be listed as compatible with the N7 in the Play Store, because they have a requirement for a rear camera (yes, can often download from other app stores, and developers should update their apps, but adding a rear camera fixes the problem for all)
    - Oh look, my cat is hanging from the ceiling and cleaning her private parts! This will be great to take a quick snapshot since she'll drop any second now. Phone is in other room, real camera is who knows where, but I have N7 in hand, ready to snap and post to Buttbook or Guzzle+ or whatever. But, damn, every time I point the camera my face is in the way! Too late, cat dropped and private parts are now clean. Sure wish my Nexus 7 had a rear camera!

Okay, none of these reasons are imperative, and we'll all survive without a rear camera on our Nexus 7s. Some users might never utilize a rear camera (or even the front camera) based on how they use their device. But for some of us it would be convenient, not as a substitute for that magnificent photographic instrument known as a telephone, but to supplement and enhance the usage of our beloved N7 in the ways described above, especially the hanging cat scenario.

My cat says happy holidays (generic, non-denominational merry Christmas) to all, as she walks off to clean her private parts once again. What a life!
    Thanked by:
    devra1 
    B. Diddy likes this.

Not only dose it need a rear camera, it need's a side, left n right and most of all, a thermal camera. It needs to be water proof, shock proof and any other proof you can think of. I want the battery to have infinite power, enough to jump start my car if need be. I want it to walk, talk and do my taxes (I think those last two are already possible). Point is, to say some one doesn't need something is the height of ignorance. I know some take it as an insult to their N7 to say it needs this or that, but it's not. It's just a wish list vote. So plus one on the rear camera vote, and double plus on the Merry Christmas....

Quote Originally Posted by mathelm View Post
    Not only dose it need a rear camera, it need's a side, left n right and most of all, a thermal camera. It needs to be water proof, shock proof and any other proof you can think of. I want the battery to have infinite power, enough to jump start my car if need be. I want it to walk, talk and do my taxes (I think those last two are already possible). Point is, to say some one doesn't need something is the height of ignorance. I know some take it as an insult to their N7 to say it needs this or that, but it's not. It's just a wish list vote. So plus one on the rear camera vote, and double plus on the Merry Christmas....
    Uh, you forgot the lower right corner infrared camera. Geez, get with it, will you!
    mathelm likes this.

This all started with two questions.

"Anyone else miss it?"

My answer was no...my phone has that function covered.

"Anyone else have a Pet Peeve about this otherwise wonderful tablet?"

Yes, I know it is a value (inexpensive) based device but it needs a dual band Wi-Fi that connects without issues since the N7 is only good for games without a internet connection. Then again I wasted $60 on a Miracast PVT3000 that won't work.

So would everyone be willing to shell out $300 for a Nexus 7? By making it more comparable to other tablets with added features like a rear camera and SD slot, you'd probably also make the price comparable as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Shilohcane View Post
    This all started with two questions.

"Anyone else miss it?"
    My answer was no...my phone has that function covered.

"Anyone else have a Pet Peeve about this otherwise wonderful tablet?"
    Yes, I know it is a value (inexpensive) based device but it needs a dual band Wi-Fi that connects without issues since the N7 is only good for games without a internet connection. Then again I wasted $60 on a Miracast PVT3000 that won't work.
    Interesting. I have the complete opposite desires as you've stated. Want a camera, don't care about dual band. Ain't individuality great?! Neither of us is wrong!!

Quote Originally Posted by MJKearney View Post
    Interesting. I have the complete opposite desires as you've stated. Want a camera, don't care about dual band. Ain't individuality great?! Neither of us is wrong!!
    Or both of us are.....:rolleyes:

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    42... need I say more...

The IR blaster I miss from my GT 2 7 but a rear facing camera, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by mathelm View Post
    Or both of us are.....:rolleyes:

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Well actually, the other guy is wrong. I was just being nice because it's Christmas. :beer:

I'd only use (inside) for scanning codes and documents. Maybe the occasional Augmented Reality app...
    It would be nice to have but it's not too important and I like the price as it is.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Global Posts
    113 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SonDan View Post
    Hope showing your rudeness and lack of knowledge made you feel better troll. I have purchased more books and mags than you will ever know.

Snapping pics is a great way to record something when there is no pen and paper. I do not photograph entire articles.

Merry Christmas.

No doubt....I feel the same as you SonDan!

I don't have a smartphone either, nor do I want one. We are not alone as there are millions of us out there, though not sure how many with a tablet.

It is just amazing how some act so small and closed minded to think they speak for everyone and believe they should control what others think, use, buy, or the like.

Id love to have a 32g N7 with a high end cam on the back. I have 0 need for one on the front! I have so many uses I could use a high end rear facing cam for on the N7. I love how some say it looks so dumb and stupid that people use a tablet to take pics/vids.....well maybe odd looking using a large tablet, but this N7 is so small and is not much bigger than a large cell phone. I think it looks dumb when people use a SLR with a big lens and have to carry around extra equipment and cases.....then move the pics to some other device to email/edit/send the pics onward.

If I had a high end rear facing cam on my N7....I could accomplish so much with such less hassle and loss of time with how i use my tablet for every day work/pleasure.

So, just because some use a electronic device that is capable of so many different uses and applications in different ways or have different needs.....dos'nt mean that one person or a group of people should only be catered to or speak for all others.

RANT OFF.....................

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    So would everyone be willing to shell out $300 for a Nexus 7? By making it more comparable to other tablets with added features like a rear camera and SD slot, you'd probably also make the price comparable as well.
    That's how much I paid for 16 GB in Aus!

Sent from my Nexus 7

Oops! Sorry, mate. I can't help being in my US shell!

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Oops! Sorry, mate. I can't help being in my US shell!
    That's fine, it does get annoying though, seeing such good prices in the US, especially with the dollar the way it is!

Sent from my Nexus 7

I'm with you!!!!! It needs a decent rear camera. Also Bluetooth needs to be operating properly.
    Quote Originally Posted by SonDan View Post
    Subject line says I love my new N7. It is miles and miles ahead of my very first misplaced tablet -- the original orphaned Samsung Galaxy Tab 7inch running Froyo.

But there is one tiny negative for me -- I really, really miss having the oh so handy rear facing camera.

Anyone else miss it?

Anyone else have a Pet Peeve about this otherwise wonderful tablet?

Global Posts
    1,102 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock - but Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by Nychotxxx View Post
    I'm with you!!!!! It needs a decent rear camera. Also Bluetooth needs to be operating properly.

After reading thru this thread, I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus with ICS (not froyo) and love it. I was also considering a N7, but I too like the idea of a rear camera for those just in case times.

I am also surprised that these mid sized tablets, that no one has mentioned any sort of a kickstand to prop their device up when viewing movies and videos? I must be one of the weird ones that like to prop devices up and think they should be built in. With that being said, I have designed one as an add on kickstand for those that have a tablet. If by chance that is one of the things that you miss besides a camera, this might help - [Q] kickstand4u - Would you want a generic easy to install kickstand for your phone? - xda-developers

Ops! This was directed at the post #44 above.
    Last edited by mouseglider; 12-27-2012 at 02:05 AM.
    Samsung Galaxy S3 (tweaked and rooted)
    Samsung Epic 4G (retired rooted backup)
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
    Apple iPad 3 (yes, I have one of those also)
    kickstand4u mobile kickstands for all mobile devices

Oh my! I rooted my SGS3!
    Rock Solid and Perfect!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12