How do I uninstall Chrome

entrancing1

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm a noob. How do I uninstall chrome? I am having problems downloading some PDF files and I see in other posts that Chrome can be a problem. What browser do you recommend and where can I get it?

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm a noob. How do I uninstall chrome? I am having problems downloading some PDF files and I see in other posts that Chrome can be a problem. What browser do you recommend and where can I get it?
why do you want to uninstall chrome? just dont use it. download other browser and set it to default when prompted.
uninstalling system app will cause issues. far more issue than having problem downloading pdf.

and btw, pdf files download fine for me on chrome.

other browsers, dolphin or firefox.

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
You can't uninstall it (unless you're rooted, I suppose) because it's built into the Android operating system. You can disable it by going into Settings > Apps > All > Chrome, and pressing Disable, though I wouldn't recommend that.

I've not had a problem downloading pdf's and opening them in 3rd party pdf readers (I use Adobe Acrobat Reader). However, it is true that the mobile version of Chrome cannot open a pdf from within the browser. I don't know of other browsers that can do this, as I've not had a need for that.

Zapflashgone

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Just hold it down until it flashes, then drag it to the button at the top of the display.
It disappears into the app file, not uninstalled or disabled... just gone from your app screen and you then go get a different browser in the GPlay store...

WOP_Drive

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
Sooooo... is it okay to uninstall Chrome in favor of Chrome-Beta to free up about 40MB (have root)?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

STVEIDE

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
When I try uninstalling chrome it will not uninstall. I do not see the install/uninstall options, all I see are Update and Install. I'm trying to permanently uninstall because for the last three days I have had to uninstall Google Music Downloader because it launches itself all the time. It also doesn't allow me to uninstall. In my opinion, Google IS a virus. I'll never install anothe google app, that's for sure. Is there a way of permanently deleting these apps? I've got a Samsung Galaxy Note III.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
When I try uninstalling chrome it will not uninstall. I do not see the install/uninstall options, all I see are Update and Install. I'm trying to permanently uninstall because for the last three days I have had to uninstall Google Music Downloader because it launches itself all the time. It also doesn't allow me to uninstall. In my opinion, Google IS a virus. I'll never install anothe google app, that's for sure. Is there a way of permanently deleting these apps? I've got a Samsung Galaxy Note III.

Chrome is installed on the system partition. Meaning, the user can't uninstall it without root access.

ljxdaly

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
i have most of the gapps disabled. only gmail, play books, and keep do i have going.

settings...apps....all....chrome....disable.

Quport99

Jun 9, 2016
Visit site

2 things: first of all, you cannon uninstall system apps unless you have rooted your device. Second of all, ANY app downloaded from google play store is definitely uninstallable, not including updates to system apps. For rooting, I used kingroot. If you have root access, then I would suggest ex file explorer.

jennygirl84

Jul 24, 2016
Visit site
You can't uninstall it (unless you're rooted, I suppose) because it's built into the Android operating system. You can disable it by going into Settings > Apps > All > Chrome, and pressing Disable, though I wouldn't recommend that.

I've not had a problem downloading pdf's and opening them in 3rd party pdf readers (I use Adobe Acrobat Reader). However, it is true that the mobile version of Chrome cannot open a pdf from within the browser. I don't know of other browsers that can do this, as I've not had a need for that.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
How do I root my phone. And will that help me get back on the internet because Google chrome is encrypted obsolete cipher suite
That would completely depends on what model of phone you have, which we can't know or assume since this is the forum for the Nexus 7 tablet.

Mr_Frodo

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
why do you want to uninstall chrome? just dont use it. download other browser and set it to default when prompted.
uninstalling system app will cause issues. far more issue than having problem downloading pdf.

I have set Firefox as the default three times now, yet chrome keeps opening when I click on links. When I go back to the default settings, chrome has set itself to be the fricken default again! Don't want it! How do I lock in my default choices?

Dani B1

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site

I would like to uninstall because I do not want to update it and that banner asking me to do it so all the time is driving me crazy!

Sanjeeva Shukla

Jul 31, 2019
Visit site

Allowing Chrome to stay on means causing problems for other MORE important 3rd party apps like the Blackberry Hub. Despite all their efforts, The Hub is not able to deal with the errant bugs in the Mobile version of Chrome.

Sanjeeva Shukla

Jul 31, 2019
Visit site
A.B.S.O.L.U.E.L.Y!

That's exactly what's driving me mad too. Every freakin two hours, the darn thing decides to enable itself! I use DuckDuckGo under the Proton VPN. I hate the Chrome everywhere. It disturbs other applications, and crashes more often than I've seen any other app in my life!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'd say it has more to do with trying to use a 7 year old device with an outdated Android version (assuming you're also talking about the 2012 Nexus 7).