Getting started without WIFI

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I don't have WIFI at home, and am just powering up my Nexus 7 for the first time. A screen appears asking for me to select WIFI, and I can't figure out how to skip it. What can I do to get past this screen and just start using the tablet without WIFI?

Also: does this happen every time you switch the tablet on? I will almost never have access to WIFI in day-to-day life, so if this screen always comes up, it will effectively block me from ever being able to enter the OS...

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I find that odd that there is no skip button for wifi. but if the tablet dont detect any wifi it skips login and everything.

I have never had that situation since i always had wifi

Mikesnexus

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
It will only do the search for wifi during initial setup. Why no option to skip this is beyond me.
After you complete the setup, it wont look for wifi again( I mean you can use tablet without a connection)
Do you have a local McDonald's or Starbucks? Do you're setup there and be done.

From my device to yours

cl chambers

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
The product should come with a warning that it is unusable without wifi access! I have never heard of a product on which nothing could be accessed unless you set up the wifi first. We gave this tablet to our daughter for Christmas while we were at a relative's house where there was web access but not wifi. We thought she would be able to play around with the non-web apps (like I can on my iPad and iPod when there isn't any wifi) and learn a bit about how Android works. She was so, so frustrated and upset because she never could get past the wifi set up page. I felt like throwing the thing on the floor and stomping it into tiny pieces. I will be buying her an iPad Mini and returning this piece of junk back. Android and Nexus -BAH HUMBUG.

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
The product should come with a warning that it is unusable without wifi access! I have never heard of a product on which nothing could be accessed unless you set up the wifi first. We gave this tablet to our daughter for Christmas while we were at a relative's house where there was web access but not wifi. We thought she would be able to play around with the non-web apps (like I can on my iPad and iPod when there isn't any wifi) and learn a bit about how Android works. She was so, so frustrated and upset because she never could get past the wifi set up page. I felt like throwing the thing on the floor and stomping it into tiny pieces. I will be buying her an iPad Mini and returning this piece of junk back. Android and Nexus -BAH HUMBUG.

Wow, you must be pretty upset to post the exact same thing in two different threads! Anyway, as respondents in both threads indicated, you don't need wifi after initial setup. I think it's a little harsh to refer to anything as a piece of junk without actually really trying it. This is like buying something that needs batteries, but the batteries don't come with it, so you can't use it immediately because you forgot to buy the batteries. That doesn't automatically make it a piece of junk. But whatever.

plumberdv

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Excuse me, but it appears that both you and your daugter a pretty childish, but since she probably is a child, she at least has an excuse.

How many kids do you think got presents for Christmas that couldn't use them right away? New bicycles for instance and pouring rain outside for the next few days! It's a bummer, but she will get over it and so will you. It's certainly nothing to throw a childish temper tantrum about!

jpash549

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Can you set up an iPad without wifi? Setting up a BB Playbook as I recalled required internet and so did setting up the HP Touchpad.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Are you telling me you need internet access to setup a device that is completely reliant on Internet access to function?

-Suntan

samkatz

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
yes, I was "childish" too when I took my Nexus out of the box and couldnt set it up, even though I had Wifi. My Wifi was "locked down"...only can hook up devices that I had put the MAC device number into the Wifi setup first....So you can't even get the Nexus 7 MAC device number w/o having it be on-line.....

I called Google support and they told me I had to either go to another (open) wifi access point first or lower the security on mine.(which I did).

While not the end of the world, it is a really stupid way to setup....It shows that Google did not think this out, or basically is saying 'we are selling you this so you can be on-line, connected to OUR services'........... So to the OP, just go to a library or friend, get online so you can get past the setup, than do what you want to.

samkatz

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
so Mr. Nobody, do you imply that it's a waste of effort to turn it on? I have the pw WPS encryption on, and the network name hidden. That's all I can do. Live in a high rise, don't want neighbors on my network

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
If you have a strong password for your network, that is all you need. You should get rid of the MAC address filtering, as it is pretty pointless and the least of any hacker's worry if they were going to try to hijack your network.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Less than worthless. If anything, they just make your network stand out among the crowd if a person is intent on being a **** and hacking a network in the area.

Personally, I would guess that said **** would target the guy that thinks he is "safer" with his SSID "hidden."

And yeah, Google's whole motivation to create this android thing was to get people to access google servers as much as possible. If you have a hangup with that, you really shouldn't be buying any google devices.

-Suntan

Cezapetty

Apr 23, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

I don't have WIFI at home, and am just powering up my Nexus 7 for the first time. A screen appears asking for me to select WIFI, and I can't figure out how to skip it. What can I do to get past this screen and just start using the tablet without WIFI?

Also: does this happen every time you switch the tablet on? I will almost never have access to WIFI in day-to-day life, so if this screen always comes up, it will effectively block me from ever being able to enter the OS...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34