Should I buy the nexus 7?

bigjay1641

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
I received a laptop for Christmas and I'm not liking windows 8 at all. I currently have a verizon galaxy note 2 would it be dumb of me to return the laptop and buy a 32gig nexus 7?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Yes, that would be dumb.

1. I, personally, think it'd be redundant to have such a big phone and a small tablet.
2. You will be able to be more productive with the laptop, should you need to be. Tablets are great, but they're really just toys for the most part.
3. How do you know you don't like Windows 8? How long have you been using it?

Ohleo

May 23, 2010
Visit site
I dunno man I think that having a laptop for heavy usage is essential. Although tablets are legit they still are not laptop replacements IMO.

I am not sure what your preferences are and how much your PC is worth but I would swap it for a Mac if possible. It isn't even that I prefer Macs it just a better investment long term IMO.

Merry Christmas though, it sounds like it has been a great one.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Although I agree with ultravisitor's overall recommendations, I wouldn't say that tablets are just toys any more. It depends on what level of productivity you're looking for. If you need a device for relatively straightforward word processing, spreadsheeting, and presentation graphics, then Android tablets are quite good these days. But if you need more detailed document handling, then you should stick with a laptop.

bigjay1641

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
They laptop they purchased for me won't be an even exchange for a mac lol. I'm usually checking forums, YouTube, email, I wanna start gaming, reading books, that's kinda I wanna get a tablet

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

Live2ride883

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Tablets are good for casual games, although that is changing fast with games like Dead Trigger that have really great graphics. For email, surfing, checking forums, and YouTube I don't think a tablet can be beat. I have an N7, and an N10 honestly if I had to get rid of one of them it would be the N7. I know your main interest is in the N7 but you might want to take a more serious look at the N10, this display is truly something to behold. Even if you have to save a bit longer I believe it would be worth it.

retsaw

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Before anyone can answer that question, you need to tell us what you want to use that laptop for, and what you may need to use it for in the future. If you already have another computer you can use it might be worth making the trade, or if you mostly use the laptop for web browsing and email, and won't need a real computer to do school/college work on, then maybe, but there really are some things that are a lot harder to do on a tablet.

If your main problem with your laptop is Windows 8, you could install Linux distro on it, like Linux Mint, alternatively I believe there are some tweaks you can install to add back the start menu to Windows 8 and make it work a bit more like Windows 7.

socialcarpet

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Having a Note AND a Nexus 7 makes absolutely no sense. What is the point in having a 7" tablet when you have a 5.5" phone?

I'd keep the laptop and give Windows 8 a chance. You JUST got it FFS. I'll never understand why people are having such a hard time dealing with Windows 8. You change the start button idea and throw a launcher on the screen and people freak out.

If anything a Nexus 10 might make sense for you, if you really can't stand Windows 8.

Comineeyeaha

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
Having a Note AND a Nexus 7 makes absolutely no sense. What is the point in having a 7" tablet when you have a 5.5" phone?

I'd keep the laptop and give Windows 8 a chance. You JUST got it FFS. I'll never understand why people are having such a hard time dealing with Windows 8. You change the start button idea and throw a launcher on the screen and people freak out.

If anything a Nexus 10 might make sense for you, if you really can't stand Windows 8.

I agree. Windows 8 is perfectly fine once you get over the new Start screen. And if you really just can't get past that, install something like Start8 or any of the other tools to give you back the classic start menu. The improvements to the OS are worth keeping it, imo.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Shawn Hickman

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm got to my parents a new computer with Windows 8 installed, and they have adjusted to it just fine, with a little help from me. I got the Nexus 10 for Christmas, and I'm using the voice recognition typing to post to this thread. The screen resolution is amazing, and 1 of the first apps I downloaded was the new need for speed. And I'm absolutely addicted.

I also do design work and although somewhat complicated I downloaded infinite design app which has a lot of similarities to Adobe illustrator including layers and anchor point editing. I'm still in the review phase of this application but so far so good. good luck with your decision.

Zero Hunter

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Having a laptop is better if you're thinking of using it for work/school. If you're in the field where you won't be doing a lot of work on a laptop or your company pays for one already, then go for the nex 7.

JobiWan144

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Isn't there some way of installing Windows 7 on the laptop? One would think that there would be.

If not, you'd probably be better off with a Nexus 10 than a Nexus 7. I have to agree with the earlier posters, getting a 7-inch tablet to complement a 5.5-inch phone doesn't make much sense. You will probably want to buy a keyboard to go with it, but that shouldn't be much of an issue. Nexus10Keyboard.com is first in a Google search, so there must be something to this site.

benhidalgo

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
would it be dumb of me to return the laptop and buy a 32gig nexus 7? - NOPE! not at all. I used windows OS since they came out on floppy disks. After Google gave us Nexus, I don't even remember who Bill Gate is! I'm satisfied with my 32gig Nexus 7. My buddies at work are jealous. They want to test it and I tell them to get their own. At home I connect it to my 22 LED TV and play games @720p. I get into it so much I forget I'm using a tablet for gaming. My girlfriend doesn't believe me I'm not using my big old tower to play game. At work I do lots of emails, texts, and web browsing. Sometimes I make a few phone calls on it too. No hiccups or "blue" screens lol, the biggest joke in widows, look it up if you haven't seen it yet.

Any how, go for it. I know other windows geeks like myself using nexus 4,7,10 and are saying the same thing.
BTW: windows 8 reminds me of windows me for some reason, hmmm!