Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 25 of 25
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Dude1134
  • 1 Post By hornbroo
  • 1 Post By MJKearney
  • 1 Post By WordPainter
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Update to 4.2?

    I just got a Nexus 7, and its great. Its running 4.1 right now and I'm reluctant to update to 4.2 because I've read it causes issues on the N7. So should I update or UST stay on 4.1, Its not like I'll be using photosphere.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Update to 4.2?

    My wife's new N7 seems to be working just fine on 4.2, but then her use case would be different to someone like me.
    If you're comfortable flashing back to a 4.1 factory image if it doesn't go well give it a shot.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Manning the AC Euro office since 2011
  3. #3  
    Phil Nickinson's Avatar
    Android Central Editor in Chief

    Posts
    3,836 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,002 Global Posts

    Default Re: Update to 4.2?

    Honestly? I'd wait. I'm getting REAL close to rolling mine back.
    Thanked by:
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Update to 4.2?

    Update! Problems might exist, but are overstated. 4.1 wasn't perfect, 4.0 wasn't perfect, 4.3 and 5.0 won't be perfect. You'll hear horror stories about all of them. No OS, not Android or iOS, is perfect, none ever will be. So update now, before you clog up your N7 with tons of apps. Besides, you'll continually be nagged to update, so just DO IT!
    Thanked by:
  5. #5  
    pretext's Avatar

    Posts
    323 Posts
    Global Posts
    335 Global Posts

    Default Re: Update to 4.2?

    I agree with Phil.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
  6. #6  
    Comineeyeaha's Avatar

    Posts
    692 Posts
    Global Posts
    709 Global Posts
    ROM
    GNex: CM10. N7: stock

    Default Re: Update to 4.2?

    Here's my take on that. I was extremely pleases with 4.1.2, then 4.2 gave me some hassle. With 4.2.1 I was more satisfied. Now I'm on Cyanogenmod 10.1 and I'm extremely pleased again. If you don't intend on going the custom ROM route, I'd hang out on 4.1.2 for a bit longer. All you really gain is some new apps and multi user support.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: Update to 4.2?

    OK thanks for the feedback. I'll stay on 4.1 for now.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
    Slender Troll likes this.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Update to 4.2?

    I'm still on 4.1.2...not seen a compelling reason to update and thanks to Autorun Manager, I don't get any update nags anymore.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Update to 4.2?

    4.2.1 has been flawless on my 32GB Nexus 7. I'm not sure what all the fuss is about!
    Thanked by:
    Slender Troll likes this.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Update to 4.2?

    Quote Originally Posted by T-Rex View Post
    I agree with Phil.
    I disagree with Phil.
    Thanked by:
    Slender Troll likes this.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Update to 4.2?

    Well I should have read this about 5 hours ago. My Nexus 7 arrived this afternoon. (I was unable to enjoy the new gadget un boxing because my wife opened and plugged it in to charge it up for me till I got home)

    Anyways, I logged in and started to look into apps ant the update popped up and I hit yas. Doh. Then it showed up twice more and I though the was a glitch si I allowed it to do the next 2 so on 4.2.1.

    Not rooted is there a way to roll back. The only thing so far I like is multi user potential

    Thank you

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Update to 4.2?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dude1134 View Post
    Its not like I'll be using photosphere.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Hey photosphere is not on 4.21 so no need to make that your reason to upgrade other features of the upgrade are multi user and landscape or portrait mode one of those may be more important. 4.2 has shown some lag with me though and I keep my nexus fairly bare bones with only 6 non Google apps or 6 out of 16 GB used. also a few apps are not ready for 4.2 so may a reason to stay behind. Really I wish I would have not gone to 4.2 the clock is ugly too and I have not use for lock screen widgets
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Update to 4.2?

    I think 4.2 is more amazing than 4.1 with many features, and photoshere is just one aspect.
    Love Android, Love Android Phone.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Update to 4.2?

    Quote Originally Posted by mr_nobody View Post
    I'm still on 4.1.2...not seen a compelling reason to update and thanks to Autorun Manager, I don't get any update nags anymore.
    what did u do to turn the update message off ?
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Update to 4.2?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rosaura1234 View Post
    I think 4.2 is more amazing than 4.1 with many features, and photoshere is just one aspect.
    On the nexus 7 how? Backwards and upside down... or USB dongle an app and some tape ? Please elaborate I would like this feat
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Update to 4.2?

    Quote Originally Posted by MJKearney View Post
    I disagree with Phil.
    I agree with MJ.

    I disabled Google Current and since then I haven't had any issues. I'm sure Google will address the problems in another update.

    I like 4.2.1. My Razr is now running 4.1.2 (the leaked upgrade from 12/24) and I can't do things such as the two finger swipe in the notification area and lock screen widgets (on the Razr).
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Update to 4.2?

    Quote Originally Posted by nilesh8582 View Post
    what did u do to turn the update message off ?
    Pasted from another thread (you need to be rooted to use autorun manager):

    I think I found a reasonable solution to this thanks to a link someone posted in another thread here:

    "Or a free alternative...

    Autorun manager - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...com.rs.autorun

    With the second, you need to select advanced mode, then in settings check 'show system entries' and then find Google services framework, and disable the one with 'system update receiver' in the name
    (you may need to refresh the list first) "
  18. #18  
    sushiguy732's Avatar

    Posts
    796 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,190 Global Posts
    ROM
    Gummy ICS

    Default Re: Update to 4.2?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Nickinson View Post
    Honestly? I'd wait. I'm getting REAL close to rolling mine back.
    I rolled mine back several weeks ago already and couldn't be happier.... Well I could if 4.2 actually worked well. :-)
    עם ישראל חי
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Update to 4.2?

    I have no issues on my nexus 7 32GB running 4.2.1

    Sent from my brand new Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Update to 4.2?

    Quote Originally Posted by CGleas85 View Post
    On the nexus 7 how? Backwards and upside down... or USB dongle an app and some tape ? Please elaborate I would like this feat
    You can upgrade Nexus 7 to 4.2 to enjoy the features.
    Love Android, Love Android Phone.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Update to 4.2?

    I have upgraded just photosphere is not one of those features that are available ...
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Update to 4.2?

    Quote Originally Posted by CGleas85 View Post
    I have upgraded just photosphere is not one of those features that are available ...
    It's because there is no rear camera.

    Sent from my brand new Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Update to 4.2?

    Here is a reason to not upgrade to 4.2.1:
    I can no longer smoothly stream media while listening to it with Bluetooth headphones. Netflix and YouTube stutter badly. Pandora and streaming podcasts stutter at first, then performance improves, I assume, after buffering has completed.

    Streaming works fine with headphones plugged in. Listening to content with Bluetooth that has already been downloaded also works fine.

    I like a lot of the new features from 4.2.1, but this issue really bugs me. Hope they fix it soon.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
  24. #24  
    WordPainter's Avatar

    Posts
    127 Posts
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7(Nook)

    Default Re: Update to 4.2?

    Quote Originally Posted by hornbroo View Post
    4.2.1 has been flawless on my 32GB Nexus 7. I'm not sure what all the fuss is about!
    Same here! No problems at all!
    Thanked by:
    Slender Troll likes this.
  25. #25  

    Default Re: Update to 4.2?

    Quote Originally Posted by AFM1204 View Post
    Here is a reason to not upgrade to 4.2.1:
    I can no longer smoothly stream media while listening to it with Bluetooth headphones. Netflix and YouTube stutter badly.
    This plus the terrible auto-brightness bug they introduced.

Similar Threads

  1. Root droid... update to 2.1 step by step?
    By Ignitros in forum Motorola Droid Rooting, ROMs and Hacks
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 03-18-2010, 11:06 AM
  2. Replies: 211
    Last Post: 02-12-2010, 01:20 PM
  3. My DROID died. Software update to blame?
    By matrix2004 in forum Motorola Droid
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-18-2009, 12:37 PM
  4. Is updating to 2.0.1 even worth doing?
    By MtDewElite in forum Motorola Droid
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 12-15-2009, 10:44 AM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-09-2009, 05:26 PM

Posting Permissions

B