Update to 4.2?

Dude1134

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I just got a Nexus 7, and its great. Its running 4.1 right now and I'm reluctant to update to 4.2 because I've read it causes issues on the N7. So should I update or UST stay on 4.1, Its not like I'll be using photosphere.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Richard Devine

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
My wife's new N7 seems to be working just fine on 4.2, but then her use case would be different to someone like me.
If you're comfortable flashing back to a 4.1 factory image if it doesn't go well give it a shot.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Update! Problems might exist, but are overstated. 4.1 wasn't perfect, 4.0 wasn't perfect, 4.3 and 5.0 won't be perfect. You'll hear horror stories about all of them. No OS, not Android or iOS, is perfect, none ever will be. So update now, before you clog up your N7 with tons of apps. Besides, you'll continually be nagged to update, so just DO IT!

Comineeyeaha

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
Here's my take on that. I was extremely pleases with 4.1.2, then 4.2 gave me some hassle. With 4.2.1 I was more satisfied. Now I'm on Cyanogenmod 10.1 and I'm extremely pleased again. If you don't intend on going the custom ROM route, I'd hang out on 4.1.2 for a bit longer. All you really gain is some new apps and multi user support.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm still on 4.1.2...not seen a compelling reason to update and thanks to Autorun Manager, I don't get any update nags anymore.

rxgadget

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Well I should have read this about 5 hours ago. My Nexus 7 arrived this afternoon. (I was unable to enjoy the new gadget un boxing because my wife opened and plugged it in to charge it up for me till I got home)

Anyways, I logged in and started to look into apps ant the update popped up and I hit yas. Doh. Then it showed up twice more and I though the was a glitch si I allowed it to do the next 2 so on 4.2.1.

Not rooted is there a way to roll back. The only thing so far I like is multi user potential

Thank you

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

CGleas85

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Its not like I'll be using photosphere.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Hey photosphere is not on 4.21 so no need to make that your reason to upgrade other features of the upgrade are multi user and landscape or portrait mode one of those may be more important. 4.2 has shown some lag with me though and I keep my nexus fairly bare bones with only 6 non Google apps or 6 out of 16 GB used. also a few apps are not ready for 4.2 so may a reason to stay behind. Really I wish I would have not gone to 4.2 the clock is ugly too and I have not use for lock screen widgets

NealJ777

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I disagree with Phil.

I agree with MJ.

I disabled Google Current and since then I haven't had any issues. I'm sure Google will address the problems in another update.

I like 4.2.1. My Razr is now running 4.1.2 (the leaked upgrade from 12/24) and I can't do things such as the two finger swipe in the notification area and lock screen widgets (on the Razr).

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
what did u do to turn the update message off ?

Pasted from another thread (you need to be rooted to use autorun manager):

I think I found a reasonable solution to this thanks to a link someone posted in another thread here:

"Or a free alternative...

Autorun manager - https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...apps/details?id=com.rs.autorun&token=USdnV1Tm

With the second, you need to select advanced mode, then in settings check 'show system entries' and then find Google services framework, and disable the one with 'system update receiver' in the name
(you may need to refresh the list first) "