Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Default Re: Nexus 7 Poor Battery Life

I ran "cpuspy" for a week to ensure mine was sleeping properly and no apps were keeping it awake in the background. Maybe give that a try for a day or two before returning it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

For those with battery problems: Try minimizing how many things (Folders, Apps, Widgets, etc) you guys have on the homescreen. For some odd reason (with my nexus 7 anyways) having a crap load of things on my homescreen caused my display to use up almost 70% of my battery life. It was only fixed when I took some stuff out from the homescreen.

Quote Originally Posted by Patricia Peutrill View Post
    I have read with interest all comments relating to limited battery life on the N7. Bought mine last week and can't get more than a couple of hours usage just using the net. Everything disabled backlight at 20% no apps no widget's. Battery drains when turned off???
    Should I return it?

can you provide screenshots of the battery usage page after it has been on for most of the day?

Hey just want to give a heads up. I was having battery and wifi issues as well. I turned off all the back up options. That definitely doubled my battery life. I also disabled the nfc option under more in settings. I also disabled all of the Google apps like currents, books, Picassa, magazines, movies, music, +, sound search, wallet, Pinyin, face unlock. I removed chrome and use dolphin browser. I lose about 10% battery for each hour of screen use. So that's about the 10 hours of battery life they say you can get with 4.2.2. Before all of that I was losing about 20% for each hour of screen use. I am also rooted . I use autorun manager and disabled the update receiver under google services framework. that seemed to be the big culprit with the wifi issues. It was constantly searching for updates and was causing the wifi dropouts. Just fyi, I downloaded flashplayer apk. And use Mx player as default for video and it plays flash videos perfectly. Hope this helps some of you out there.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
    MaryMR 

What fixed my battery issues - on my Nexus 7 (went from about one day to 5 days) was to turn off the WiFi battery saver in WiFi settings. Seems with some APs that the deep sleep causes disconnects & reconnects. This problem only happened with the last two system upgrades. Actually on my Xoom, the option is not present.

I usually get five hours screen time. Today I got almost 4.5 hours by watching a few videos, Netflix for about 20 minutes, XM Radio app on for several hours both with screen on and off, and a few phone calls (Yes, I made some calls) here and there and some other apps. I think that's great with the screen on as much I have had it on. You can see when I put it on the charger.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nexus 7 Poor Battery Life-screenshot_2013-03-03-21-37-25.png   Nexus 7 Poor Battery Life-screenshot_2013-03-03-21-39-46.png  
    Last edited by NexusGirlX; 03-04-2013 at 09:31 AM.
    Thanked by:

Brightness is the culprit, I get 6h screen time but my brightness is nowhere near 60%, I find the dimmed screen is easier on my old eyes.

Sent from planet earth

trappem: I've only just come across your message - after posting a new thread on much the same topic. As I understand it, your Nexus also loses its charge when actually 'powered off'. On mine it would take only 4 hours to drain a fully-charged battery completely. My advice is to take it back - hopefully you did not buy it from Currys / PC World. If you have, you'll wish you hadn't!
    Last edited by Nexus7_Abe; 03-07-2013 at 11:54 AM.

Since I only use my tablet an hour or so a day I normally power off between uses. Are you saying that it is best not to power off until I use it again?

This makes sense; where do you leave them? In Applications? Which would mean that each time I want to access Gmail for example, I would go into Applications and access the mail app there, but not on the home screen...correct?

Is that the Advanced setting that reads: "WiFi optimization" where one can select for 'on' and deselect for 'off'?
    Quote Originally Posted by chessmck View Post
    What fixed my battery issues - on my Nexus 7 (went from about one day to 5 days) was to turn off the WiFi battery saver in WiFi settings. Seems with some APs that the deep sleep causes disconnects & reconnects. This problem only happened with the last two system upgrades. Actually on my Xoom, the option is not present.

My nexus 7 drain its batt from full to 64% without being used in duration of 9 hrs. Is that normal?

Global Posts
    386 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rawon87 View Post
    My nexus 7 drain its batt from full to 64% without being used in duration of 9 hrs. Is that normal?
    I have disabled Google+, turned off location services except when needed, and turn off WiFi when away from a network and in that mode mine dropped 2% in sleep mode over a 10 hour period yesterday.

No, that isn't normal rawon87. After it has been sitting for 9 hours, post the pics of your battery screen.

Hi guys, I just bought the Nexus 7 yesterday, updated to 4.2.2 and gave it a full charge. I tried a couple games out today and noticed battery decrease at a rate of about 10% per 15-20 minutes. At this rate we'd be looking at 2-3 hours runtime. Is this normal for games or will my battery get better over time?
    Secondly, how do I take a screen shot on these devices, let alone upload it from the nexus 7?

Edit: Well that's funny, the store where I bought it had a sale on today. I just exchanged the Nexus 16gb for the Nexus 32gb, same price. Strangely enough, the cost of all their Ipad Minis went even higher.
    Last edited by Greg Chambers; 03-20-2013 at 05:34 PM.

Playing games will drain your battery faster than anything else, especially if they are 3D games. If the game is single player, put it into airplane mode while you play to disable WiFi, Bluetooth, NFC, etc. Also, turning down the brightness will tremendously help.

I would expect 4 hours of gaming on this device.

To take a screenshot, hold the power button while holding the volume down button. To upload it, you can use an image hosting service like imgur; they have an app that makes it pretty convenient.

I've had the same issues as described here with my brand new nexus 7. I finally worked out it was chrome sucking up all the battery. Not WiFi, not the screen..something funky with chrome. now using dolphin and much better battery life.

Has anyone tried to see how hard it is to order a replacement battery??? The device is easy open and the battery looks really easy to replace.

Quote Originally Posted by rsxtcy4me View Post
    Has anyone tried to see how hard it is to order a replacement battery??? The device is easy open and the battery looks really easy to replace.
    See following ref and there are more out there.

http://www.newpower99.com/Google_Nex...0nexus%207.htm

A new battery may not help. People may expect too much cycle time. The N7 is good for 6 hours with moderate use but maybe 4 to 5 when gaming or web surfing.

From my N7 or BBPB or HPTP or HP Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by rsxtcy4me View Post
    I considered an iPad when they first came out but as soon as I found out how ridiculously hard Apple made the battery replacement NOTHING else about them could overcome that design flaw, it's an instant Deal Breaker (As is no working USB port).... If I ever designed a high end device where you had to use a heatgun just to change out the most failure prone part of any device I'd be ashamed to show my face in public .... Besides I've never been a big fan of Proprietary Hardware computers where your choice of options are basically limited to One, just like a dictatorship

First thing I did when I got mine was take off the back cover and check the tightness of the screws around the screen since this is a Common Fault as well as check the battery connector (not an issue anymore) And if something does go wrong because of a bad part I'm not the least bit worried about warranty, with Apple I'd be screwed.

Hi guys, I have a question about my N7 battery life, cause' I don't know if it's normal.

It's normal that tablet's screen on eats about 75%-85% battery? When I use it just for web browsing or watching a couple of videos on Youtube, the battery drains off about 3 min per 1% (1 hour per 20%) . Is THAT normal? I'm using Franco's Kernel r65, and it's suppose to safe my N7 battery life, while improving performance. Do u think maybe it's a rogue app draining the battery as hell?

The screen should take the most power from the battery. Most people seem to report between 4 to 8 hours of time depending on how heavy the use is. Try installing an application that monitors the use of your tablet better (do a search for comparisons).

I'm running a test at the moment when I immediately switch off the tablet after using it so that I can see a true indication of what is eating the power. Currently the OS is taking about 20% - when I don't switch it off the OS takes 10%. Some of the battery time indicators seem a little odd to me and don't reflect what I've actually been doing. I did notice slightly better battery life after training the battery (again) by draining it to about 2% then fully recharging but it is debatable whether this really does anything with a Li-Ion!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12