1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Is it possible to access Network Shares?

First post so be gentle!

Like a lot of people I was lucky enough to get a Nexus 7 on Christmas day and I've hardly put it down since. I'm starting to figure out most things but I'd like to stream movies to the Nexus from my large library on my NAS. Essentially I've got 3 network shares (folders) on it - Movies, Music and Pictures and I use a WDTV SMP connected to my TV in the lounge to stream movies, TV shows etc.

Is there an app that I can install on the Nexus that would allow me to stream movies from my NAS over the network? My first thought was VLC but that only seems to allow local content or the option to enter a network address. Ideally I'd want something that would allow me to access the network share, browse the folders and play/stream the content.

TIA Griff.

Default Re: Is it possible to access Network Shares?

Have you tried ES Explorer?

I use it to transfer files, but you should be able to stream from it as well. There is a local mode and a LAN mode, so you just change it to LAN, scan for other devices and connect.

BS Player has a built in LAN mode which works great.
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

BS Player worked perfectly thanks!

My 720p content looks awesome on the Nexus
    Android Addict

ROM
    Stock rooted 4.1.2 JB

I just installed ES Explorer and it worked perfectly. Then again, I'm only streaming music.
    @Android_Lee
    Galaxy Note III
    KitKat 4.4 Stock
    Nexus 5
    KitKat 4.4 Stock
    Nexus 7
    KitKat 4.4 Stock Rooted

Question Re: Is it possible to access Network Shares?

Hi there, late to the fray but just figured this one out.
    I ended up using Total Commander and its LAN plugin to access my shares.
    I noted afterwords that I could also access them all via ASTRO file share via the Local Lan selection.

The difference between the two is that ASTRO only allows the temp download to play the file and not streaming.
    I like ASTRO because its what I use to copy and paste the files so they actually reside on the nexus (not just temp cache).
    It works the other way too, can easily copy and paste file from nexus to my network shares.

I too have NAS boxes.
    TCommander allows me the optioin to temp download, or stream.
    I use MX PLAYER as my video player and it works great, DIce is not too bad either.
    I went with MX player as I found a needed DTS plugin which caused some movies not to play.
    I now can play a 1080p file with sound. Vhappy bout that.

MY signa other is an iphone user, so I use unFUNBOX to get the files off the iphone to my network shares, easy peasy.
    Depending upon format issues I may use dvdfab to convert to best match for smartphone or tablet both android.

I do have a question about conversion programs though. Doesnt the video player automatically adjust all files to teh device.
    In other words starting to think conversion is a scam, or is it better to convert a QT iphone video to samsung s3 format prior to using on the phone?
    My ignorance abounds. :-)

Finally, only one of my 3 nas boxes allows me to stream data. The other two I have to do the temp download thingy and then play the file.
    I want to be able to stream from all three. What would be the difference between the 3 boxes. I can access all files without issue and there are no passwords etc.???

Ahh, solved my dilemma, took heed from an earlier post and tried ES explorer. It rocks!! All NAS boxes can stream.
    I am throwing Total Commander and its pukey lan plug out the door!!

If you would like to reformat the stream for any reason (perhaps a file with an incompatible format) you can use Plex Media Server running on your desktop and a Plex client on your N7. There are actually a pretty large number of Media Servers that can provide context (like IMDB rating & blurbs) to the files you select, etc Plex is perhaps the easiest to install and get running.