Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    93 Global Posts

Default ipad mini or nexus 7

hey guys im debating between which tablet to get the mini or the nexus 7 i currently own a droid so i am familiar with the software, but for some reason i just like the screen clarity on the mini, what ones is going to be the one thats best for me? dont be bias either, i would always own a droid over an iphone. just for some reason the mini is catching my eye
    Android Addict

ROM
    Stock rooted 4.1.2 JB

Default Re: ipad mini or nexus 7

Look at it this way......what good is a nice screen going to be if the device doesn't do what you need it to do?
    @Android_Lee
    Galaxy Note III
    KitKat 4.4 Stock
    Nexus 5
    KitKat 4.4 Stock
    Nexus 7
    KitKat 4.4 Stock Rooted
    Thanked by:

Nexus 7. Well I'm biased to Android and I've never seen an iPad mini so don't listen to me haha.

But Nexus 7 has higher pixel density and some better hardware. And less expensive.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    ROM
    All stock for now.

Doesn't the nexus 7 have a higher resolution than the ipad mini?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
    Slender Troll likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by angman619 View Post
    hey guys im debating between which tablet to get the mini or the nexus 7 i currently own a droid so i am familiar with the software, but for some reason i just like the screen clarity on the mini, what ones is going to be the one thats best for me? dont be bias either, i would always own a droid over an iphone. just for some reason the mini is catching my eye
    Ohh man another one, I have played with both and the only reason I gave the mini the time of day is because I was in a good mood that day. Nexus 7 blows the mini out of the water. People at work are jealous of my Nexus and these are full out apple guys. Point blank Nexus7 hands down.
    Rooted and flashed: HTC EVO 4, Motorola Photon 4, Motorola Razr Maxx, and Nexus 7

Yes, the mini has a lower resolution, so the N7 has the better screen hands down.

You are coming to the N7 forums, so everyone here is obviously biased.

If you want to buy what's 'cool' for a lot of money, get the mini. If you want the all around better device, get the N7.
    Thanked by:

I love my Nexus 7 but if the Mini had a better display and faster hardware, even at the same price, I'd probably choose that and simply Jailbreak! The gaming and app experience is just generally better on it. Mind you, I much prefer the aspect ratio, design, feel, screen size, portability and software on the Nexus 7.

Sent from my Nexus 7

I would definitely go for the Nexus 7. I'm getting sick and tired of my iPad. Would love to have a Nexus 7 now.

from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2, baddest phone on the planet.
    If I were never here, you would never know.

mini is expensive, low resolution, low end processor than Nexus 7
    mvp4him3 likes this.

Yeah, N7 beats the Mini in almost everything. Only thing the Mini has over the N7 is back camera and bigger screen in almost same size. But tablets aren't for picture taking and the N7's screen is much better.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

I'd go with the iPad mini. My house has the Kindle Fire, iPad-2, and Nexus 7. I like the idea of the Nexus 7 and android, but hands down Apple wins in product quality, app quality, and app selection. I had to buy 3 Nexus 7's to get one working unit for my son. I still need to find one more working Nexus 7 for my daughter. If I didn't have my family buy google gift cards for the kids Christmas gifts, I think I would have returned both Nexus 7 units after the second return and purchased iPad minis. Although I really like the Nexus 7 form factor, quality leaves something to be desired from android manufacturers. I also had a Asus Transformer Prime and Acer A200 which I returned prior to buying the iPad-2.
    Ry likes this.

Fairly new to the android world (I'm an apple fan boy with an open mind) I have in my house 27" iMac, MacBook Air, Mac mini 13" Ali MacBook I use an iPhone 4S my wife has the 4. I also own iPad 1 and 3 (still hurts apple) mini was my natural choice... I played with both read the review and brought 4 nexus 7's.. 1 for me and 1 each for the kids for Xmas... Havent looked back.

My view on ios vs android (from a very new user to android point of veiw is that android is more open lets you change more stuff and has widgets ( which apple need to copy). My only slight concern is my kids downloaded a free app and a popup came up saying you might have a virus (it was a link to some rip of software) never seen this happen in ios. No harm done reported the app and installed a antivirus app.. Really mixed views on here as to the need for one..

Apple has a system called iTunes Match they charge 25 per year. Google has one that's free for 20,000 songs.. As long as your music isn't drm protected you can put it in the cloud and access it on the nexus 7..

Video chat (FaceTime on apple is very good and very stable and works across platform (well mac iOS and PC) but only 2 people at a time.

Google hangouts video chat is amazing my kids and their friends were in a 7 way video chat the other night.. Google+ app means its across platform...

I get to upgrade my phone on a few months time, before the nexus it would have been an iPhone 5... Now I'm going to seriously look t the s4 or rumoured new google phone..
    TomsAndroid likes this.

Thanked by 2:
    Live2ride883 and Stefan Bosch like this.

Reasons to get the mini
    • you have invested in apple infrastructure and apps
    • you like being part of the "apple" crowd
    • you are more likely to read books than watch movies (4x3 screen shape)
    • you are cost insensitive

Reasons to get the N7
    • Better screen resolution
    • you want to play moves in wide screen format (almost 2X the pixels for a movie than the mini)
    • you want to save about $140
    • you have invested in the google infrastructure
    • You like being able to use USB cables for charging (standard vs apple proprietary cable)

To illustrate the infrastructure point. I gave my girl friend an N7 for xmas and after she signed in, all her downloaded android phone apps showed up on the N7. Talk about a good experience. I had her do google play music on her PC and now all her music is on the N7. She didn't have to do any downloading. Though, play music requires you set up an account and give it a CC number even if you are never going to buy anything. I hated that.
    Stefan Bosch likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BostonDan2 View Post
    I'd go with the iPad mini. My house has the Kindle Fire, iPad-2, and Nexus 7. I like the idea of the Nexus 7 and android, but hands down Apple wins in product quality, app quality, and app selection. I had to buy 3 Nexus 7's to get one working unit for my son. I still need to find one more working Nexus 7 for my daughter. If I didn't have my family buy google gift cards for the kids Christmas gifts, I think I would have returned both Nexus 7 units after the second return and purchased iPad minis. Although I really like the Nexus 7 form factor, quality leaves something to be desired from android manufacturers. I also had a Asus Transformer Prime and Acer A200 which I returned prior to buying the iPad-2.
    Given my experience and the reports on this forum, your experience with search for a working N7 seems very unusual. I have purchase 5 and all of them were perfect - no mechanical issues, booted up just fine and have reasonable battery life. As for app selection, what specifically are you not seeing on android?
    Thanked by:
    nemov and TomsAndroid like this.

Talking Re: ipad mini or nexus 7

Hum...
    I purchased both the N7 and Mini last week and returned the N7...kept the mini. It really depends on what you want to use the smaller tablet for...I am on my 3rd Android phone and think the N7 was such a disappointment "for me" simply because I was comparing it to my Galaxy Note 2. My GN2 is so freaking sweet the N7 didn't come close to performance of my Note. Although the N7 was very fast sliding launcher screens the browser(s) I used just seemed to be a bit jumpy and i thought here we go again.

The mini has lower specs than the N7, that's obvious, but in practical use I can't tell the differnce since apple software is so efficient in utilizing the guts of the ipad.

My main desire for a small tablet was to be able to read books, mags and better browsing. I REALLY like the 7.9" size and thinness of the mini versus the 7" N7. Just check out the difference in viewing websites in landscape mode on either tablet, I still squinted on the N7 and didn't have to on the mini.

I don't hold allegiance to any company (well except Triumph motorcycles, ha)...just use what I like and serves my needs. Thus the Galaxy Note 2 is my main flame and and is now supported by a Mini for mainly reading and tethering though my N2 if I'm travelling.
    Note (ha) that 90% of the apps I use on my Android are also available on the mini so I have few issues keeping things in sync. AND the Google software suite runs great on the mini...Google Search is extremely nice on the mini in addition to Chrome browser.

If I were you I would compare the 2 at the store (i.e. Staples is where I got my N7) and decide what works for ya.

Just my opinion...couldn't be MORE happier with my GN2 (CleanROM highly recommended) and Mini (stock) setup.

Some good advice from everyone here. I got the Nexus 7 32GB and like it and have had no issues with it despite horror stories on the boards. It has updated and works like a champ. I like the size when traveling and liked the fact that it is like my Galaxy Note 2 in terms of being Android. I also have an ipad 3, and it is a seriously smooth device. I downloaded Beach Buggy on my ipad and Nexus 7 and it is no contest on which runs the game better. The ipad is smooth as butter. The Nexus 7 is okay but does have the occasional lag and hiccup when playing.

If the ipad mini had a better screen resolution it would be a closer comparison. Depending on which app store you are plugged into etc. I would give the edge the Nexus 7 right now over the ipad mini due to screen, price and size. I think the ipad mini is a tad too wide to hold and carry for my hands.

Have fun deciding. You may want to get them from places that you can return them so you can try them both out for a few weeks at a time and then decide.
    LG G3, Lumia 925 8.1 Dev Pre, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8
    and yes...an iPhone 5 too...

Very impressed with the Nexus 7, OK battery life could be better but I love the size format for practical use and the performance is great,whether gaming or numerous other tasks it surely betters the iPad mini and when you factor in price, a no brainer for me!
    Sent from my Nexus 7
    TomsAndroid likes this.

I have both and enjoy Mini much more. It is one hell of a great built tablet. Apps developed for tablet look awesome on Mini screen. Even though I prefer android phones, when it comes to tablets, Apple wins, I have no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by darkoman4 View Post
    I have both and enjoy Mini much more. It is one hell of a great built tablet. Apps developed for tablet look awesome on Mini screen. Even though I prefer android phones, when it comes to tablets, Apple wins, I have no doubt.
    Surprisingly, apps aren't everything. For movie watching, reading, gaming, music, portability etc. The Nexus 7 is better thanks to it's better display and better size and aspect ratio. At the moment, the iPad mini's main advantage is just the apps and as this will change over time (Android will catch up), it's not really enough to justify the extra cost and the limitedness of iOS.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Per the very good screen comparison from http://www.displaymate.com/iPad_mini_ShootOut_1.htm

---The mini has much greater glare or "screen reflectance" than the Nexus 7, 9.0% vs the nexus's 5.9%
    ---Color Gamut ie: range of color able to be produced, is 62/100% on the Mini vs 86/100% on the Nexus 7. BUT.... In their tests this didnt hinder it too bad. This is due to the "Factory Display Calibration" Which has a big effect on screen performance and they say that Apple has some of the best and most accurate Calibrations they have ever tested on any screen type, including HDTV's and other devices. In my personal observation, the screen looked better on the mini just not as crisp. Kinda hard to explain but it did.
    Some personal notes:
    ---Even though the mini has much slower hardware "specs" than the nexus this is the biggest trap. The mini is actually faster to load the same apps, scores faster in benchmarks(YouTube vid somewhere of this) and performs much smoother and quicker than the Nexus.
    ---the mini feels more premium due to the build materials
    --The Nexus is easier to hold though because of the rubbery back and smaller size.
    ---The iPad delivers Apples far superior screen response that is so smooth which for me is a massive consideration.
    ---The nexus is/was decently smooth and quick but not on par with the mini.
    ---Nexus Speakers are pretty quiet for most things, Mini's are supposed to be much louder And quite a lot more accurate per a YouTube Comparison.
    ---The Minis apps are actually formatted for a tablet while most Nexus Apps are scaled up phone apps.
    ---The Nexus's Volume and Power Buttons are too similar and I constantly hit the power button thinking its volume, the Mini's are easier to differentiate.
    ---If you use the Book Apps, Nexus ones are better because you can purchase and search for books in App, Apple does NOT allow that in their same apps

Here's a great overall review vid as well

To sum it up, my Nexus is in being repaired at the moment for screen lift and a touch screen response issues. I am very tempted to sell my refurbished unit and get the mini mostly due to the smoother, more pleasant user experience. But the nexus is still very good provided you get one that doesn't have issues.
    Sent using TouchPal on my Nexus 7.

I just got my N7 Friday and using it compared to my mini that I had I much prefer my mini. The nexus is a good piece of hardware but I have to agree with Rene the experience on Android tablets just doesn't compare.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    Thanked by:
    prophet968 likes this.

Android is getting much better but still lags behind in email tools and nnotifications. If you want to use the device for emails and MS exchange support/calendars for work iOS wins hands down. If iOS let you copy files to it without using iTunes such as air droid or USB I wouldn't own an android tablet. Even now I'm still tempted to sell up and go back to iOS as I'm finding android notifications useless and the built in email, calendar and productivity apps to be sub par.

Quote Originally Posted by totality View Post
    Android is getting much better but still lags behind in email tools and nnotifications
    Say what??? I've found it to be the exact opposite!

In any case, when I'm asked this suggestion, I always ask what kind of smart phone do the person have. It's always best to stick with what smart phone OS you're using since the learning curve will be smaller and data synchronization will be a bit easier on similar OS'.

Quote Originally Posted by angman619 View Post
    I've been using the n7 for about 5 months now and overall the nexus/android experience as been OK but not without its faults. It was laggy at first, screen lift, sound/speaker issue's, learning curve "being my first android device". On paper the n7 wins hands down but in a real life situation the iPad mini just feels better and a more polished experience and is the one I preferred. After trying it in store for about ten minutes it was clear that it's worth the extra cash. I'm in the UK and I paid 200 for the nexus which is a big difference between $200 U.S. I am in no way biased either way and this is my honest opinion.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast