Nexus 7 TMobile sim card?

ryjb

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I have been looking at the 3G Nexus 7 model. I have a SIM only TMobile value plan. Could I swap that card between my Nexus 4 and the Nexus 7 to use data? I have no interest with tethering. I've got the unlimited 4G data option.

Just want to make sure there is nothing holding me back using this in a tablet.

Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

ryjb

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Looking at the specs I was thinking it could work?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1356647618400.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1356647618400.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 41

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
The Nexus 7 with cell radios is compatible with T-Mobile's network. However, T-Mobile is apparently doing something to keep their phone SIM cards from working in the Nexus 7 (although they're happy to sell you a tablet data plan).

Dude1134

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I would just tether. I know you said you didn't want to but if you root the N4 you can tether for free without paying $15 dollars a month on T-Mobile. That's what I did, and I am also on T-Mobile.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

ryjb

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I would just tether. I know you said you didn't want to but if you root the N4 you can tether for free without paying $15 dollars a month on T-Mobile. That's what I did, and I am also on T-Mobile.

If I were just to use the built in tethering would it be detected easier?

ryjb

May 11, 2011
Visit site
spec looks like it will work but there was thread about this before and few said that it didnt work. Iet me see if i could dig that thread up.

I was reading over on XDA postpaid plans were having some luck and prepaid were blocked. However anything you can dig up would be appreciated. Thanks.

Dude1134

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
If I were just to use the built in tethering would it be detected easier?

I used an app to do it, Its called WiFi Tether. Requires rooting because you have to give it superuser permission, and the Nexus 4 should be easy to root.

ryjb

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I used an app to do it, Its called WiFi Tether. Requires rooting because you have to give it superuser permission, and the Nexus 4 should be easy to root.

Thank you, I will look into it.

James Changstein

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I've tried both SIM cards on my Nexus 7. The AT&T plan costs $30 for 3.0 GB whereas T-Mobile charges $35 for 3.5 GB... Same price per GB monthly.

No luck with T-mobile's $30 deal......

For my location, I will go back to AT&T next month for it has a more comprehensive coverage at a much higher download speed on average than T-Mobile, from which I often get less than 1 Mb /sec..... The highest speed I'd gotten was outside a T-Mobile store in a parking lot...... It clocked in at a mere 5.5 Mb/sec....

Often I get connections so slow the nexus 7 is not practical to use. At home, I have clocked speeds from 0.7 to 3.0 Mb/sec... I don't live in the boonies and there often is a long wait before the download starts..... It drives me crazy...... Rarely had that issue with AT&T at the same locations. I switch back to WiFi at home when my Nexus 7 works on the T-Mobile network...

It's difficult for me to imagine T-Mobile's high speed connections as people have raved about...... Am I doing something wrong?

AT&T gets me 3.5 Mb/sec on average where I live, about 20 miles NW of Detroit. Occasionally, I'd get as high as 12 Mb, and but not too often.

I would recommend that you check out the coverage with both networks where you'd be using the Nexus 7 to make a right decision for you...

With my Samsung Galaxy SIII on Verizon network, my average DL speed is 15 Mb and a few spots with 56 Mb close by......

Only if the nexus 7 works with Verizon LTE..... I think it's the only fault with the new Nexus 4, and 7....

Of course, your mileage may vary.

Mr.Audio

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
It's difficult for me to imagine T-Mobile's high speed connections as people have raved about...... Am I doing something wrong?

AT&T gets me 3.5 Mb/sec on average where I live, about 20 miles NW of Detroit. Occasionally, I'd get as high as 12 Mb, and but not too often.

As always, it's largely about location. TMo has lots of areas with HPSA+ 21 or 42, but there are still lots of areas, that don't have them yet. Industry-wide, a market is generally considered to be "active" on a higher tier of service, such as HPSA+ 21 or LTE, when 40% of the cell towers in that region are updated. It may take years to get the other 60% completed, especially in big cities where there are thousands of small, short-range cells mounted on buildings, rather than in rural areas that have a few tall independent towers.

In my area (SF Bay Area), HSPA+ 21 is probably close to 80%, and 42 is probably 50%, so speeds on TMo are very fast in most places, but there are still pockets were you drop down to 2 Mb. Every month brings improvements, but every couple of years, more is desired. The one advantage is that cells being installed today will be 42 Mb compatible even if only 21 Mb is being deployed at the moment.

walesmd

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
The Nexus 7 is 100% unlocked - it merely comes with an AT&T SIM card because Google and AT&T have some sort of agreement going on. Nevertheless, the mobile companies are able to distinguish between data-only cards and the card from your phone (data and voice). Order a data only micro-SIM from T-Mobile (make sure you mention the micro-SIM, they sent me a full-sized SIM) and pop it in, you're good to go.

Source: Me, owner of an N7 on T-Mobile.

rxgadget

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
T-Mobile and AT&T both said I would have to go into a corporate store to get the micro. Both also said they can't give without purchase or activation. I finally got through to a local AT&T store who had micro sim in stock and would not charge me $25 for the card. T-Mobile was harder to get to.

I know have a micro sim card installed but not activated. In order to buy data for once in a while rather than contract I can't make an account till I am ready to pay and use immediately.

darkoman4

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Would somebody please tell me if N7 comes with micro sim preinstaled ready for activation. If yes, then do they charge you activation fee, and is it added to your account or is it credit card prepaid plan? I have N7 3G, but for the love of god can't remember if I got ATT package with it and what I did with it. I had my sim from my old HTC Jetstream tablet 4G LTE so I just stick it in Nexus and dont remember about SIM that came with it. The thing is I am gettin exstremely slow speeds in Atlantic City area, no more then 1Mbps down and 1 up, and wander if it has something to do with my old LTE SIM and should I replace it with the one that comes with it.

ddvil00

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
hey i recently purchased the nexus7 w/ 3g... and just wanted to make sure it was unlocked version. it does say it in the specs also one of the customer service reps said it was as well, i just wanted your opinion on whether it is truly unlocked, the only way i would be sure is when i take it over seas and pop in another sim card in....

secondly.... i have the micro sim that came with the nexus and i also have my working tmobile sim card in my blackberry with unlimited data.... ive tried popping in the card and it just doesnt work....any info on why this could be? do i have to activate a separate sim just for the nexus?? or is there a way around the situation.... i read you comment on how they can detect whether the sim is "data" only or "voice & data", i just wanted to know if i had any otherway to use just the one sim, the current one i use on my phone, as the sim for dadt on my nexus7.... will i also have the same issue overseas or might i have the chance there of using one sim>>>??

i know that was alot but thanks for the input, if you havent noticed by now im kind of a newbie at this....

ddvil00

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
The Nexus 7 is 100% unlocked - it merely comes with an AT&T SIM card because Google and AT&T have some sort of agreement going on. Nevertheless, the mobile companies are able to distinguish between data-only cards and the card from your phone (data and voice). Order a data only micro-SIM from T-Mobile (make sure you mention the micro-SIM, they sent me a full-sized SIM) and pop it in, you're good to go.

Source: Me, owner of an N7 on T-Mobile.

hey i recently purchased the nexus7 w/ 3g... and just wanted to make sure it was unlocked version. it does say it in the specs also one of the customer service reps said it was as well, i just wanted your opinion on whether it is truly unlocked, the only way i would be sure is when i take it over seas and pop in another sim card in....

secondly.... i have the micro sim that came with the nexus and i also have my working tmobile sim card in my blackberry with unlimited data.... ive tried popping in the card and it just doesnt work....any info on why this could be? do i have to activate a separate sim just for the nexus?? or is there a way around the situation.... i read you comment on how they can detect whether the sim is "data" only or "voice & data", i just wanted to know if i had any otherway to use just the one sim, the current one i use on my phone, as the sim for dadt on my nexus7.... will i also have the same issue overseas or might i have the chance there of using one sim>>>??

i know that was alot but thanks for the input, if you havent noticed by now im kind of a newbie at this....

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000