Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
gift_guide-4.jpg

FUZZY FINGERS FTW!

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
it's glass. use glass cleaner. if you want it slippery, follow the cleaning with an application of Klear Screen, which is a polymer. OR, if you have some Meguiar's Last Touch Detail on hand, use that--it's essentially the same thing. buff it off. makes it slick for sliding your finger across the screen.

The real IanR

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
it's glass. use glass cleaner. if you want it slippery, follow the cleaning with an application of Klear Screen, which is a polymer. OR, if you have some Meguiar's Last Touch Detail on hand, use that--it's essentially the same thing. buff it off. makes it slick for sliding your finger across the screen.

solvents or abrasives will wear the oleophobic coating prematurely - then finger marks will be harder to clean off.

ohmslaw

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I have been using a soft wet cloth with a tiny drop of dish washing liquid. I then wipe with just a damp cloth, then dry with another cloth. Work's great for me.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Unless the screen is caked with crud, all that's needed is a microfiber cloth and maybe a little water. DO NOT USE HOUSEHOLD GLASS CLEANER. If that stuff manages to seep under the glass, your LCD is toast.

Paul Ronne

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Unless the screen is caked with crud, all that's needed is a microfiber cloth and maybe a little water. DO NOT USE HOUSEHOLD GLASS CLEANER. If that stuff manages to seep under the glass, your LCD is toast.
This. I have a Invisashield on so microfiber with a couple spritzs of water work perfect. And yea I'm a tool. Paid someone 15 to install Invisashield.... But soooo glad I did.

mathelm

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site

"Glass cleaner" contains water and ammonia. Plain water has a much better chance of doing damage than a alcohol and water mix. I think you may mean to say not to spray it.

Now if you have absolutely pure water, you could submerge the whole thing in it, with it still running. Assuming their isn't much contaminating material on the device that would mix with the formally pure water of course.....:eek:

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

dude_hdt

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Aren't these glass supposed to be pretty darn durable? My old HTC smart phone's screen is perfect and I've only wiped it with my T-shirt every couple of days. That said, I do have some micro fiber cloth around the house and will start using that...might as well.

mathelm

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
A microfiber cloth I think is the best solution, if you happen to have one. Unless you are, or are around hair product type people, a damp/dry cloth/napkin/paper towel etc. should be all you ever need. But you shouldn't be afraid of windex and such if the need arises. If you want the driest read of your life, check out the white papers from Corning....

Corning? Gorilla? Glass / White Paper

Household Solvent Testing

Similar to environmental testing however more specific to device end-use environment is testing of common chemicals towhich
the display may become exposed. Display end-users will handle and treat the display surface in varying manners and without
regard for what detrimental effects may be imparted.Thus, rigorous solvent testing is required for all proposed display products.
Specifically addressing interest in Corning Gorilla Glass and its easy-to-clean coating for the mobile device community,household
solvents were selected based on those most likely for the device to be exposed to during use and in end-user efforts to clean the
device. Table 3 lists numerous household materials and solvents selected for testing, again using the maximum 10? drop
in post-exposure, static water contact angle as the pass/fail criteria. Each material was tested after exposure to the material/solvent
for a 24 hour period, whether the material was smeared onto the surface without removal or soaked in solution. Specific values for
resulting water contact angles are listed, with the coating passing all tests.

Static contact angle data for easy-to-clean
coated Corning Gorilla Glass exposed for
24 hours to various materials. All data is
for static contact angle measurements
using 10 μL water droplets

Solvent Tested:
Acetone
Butter
Canola Oil
Citrus Cleaner (dilute)
Dish Soap
Ethanol
Ketchup
Lipstick
Lotion
Make-up Foundation
Mayonnaise
Mustard
Olive Oil
Orange peel
Sunscreen
Spray Glass Cleaner:eek:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't be concerned about the effect of the solvents on the glass itself--I'd be much more concerned about the effect if those solvents seeped under the glass, which is not out of the question considering the well-known screen lift issue.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I don't worry about things that others do. I've no concern that the once a month or so application of a tiny bit of glass cleaner on a rag is going to ruin the screen, or my life. relax, guys! :) If you are paranoid, use what I mentioned as the second item, in my first post! Klear Screen. oleophobic surfaces are overrated.