Using 3G Nexus 7 as a Wi-Fi hotspot

Ibraheem_h

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Hi there,
I have a 32GB 3G Nexus 7 and a Samsung Galaxy SII.
I want to use my 3G Nexus 7 as a hotspot for my Galaxy SII. I have searched for this feature everywhere in the device, but couldn't find it.
I have tried some apps such as:
___ FoxFi (WiFi Tether w/o Root): Stopped working as I turn tethering on
___ WiFi HotSpot / WiFi Tether: Doesn't work at all
___ 1-Click WiFi Tether No Root: Works well but my Samsung Galaxy SII wasn't able to obtain IP Address through the Tethering
___ Wifi Hotspot & USB Tether Lite: The same as 1-Click WiFi Tether No Root

Is there anyway to enable Wi-Fi Tethering on my Nexus 7 as a hotspot?
NOTE: I don't want to root my Nexus 7

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
You can work round your problem by using a MIFI. In case you do not know about this product;- It is smaller than any cell-phone. Turn it on and put it in your pocket. It picks up the normal cell-phone signal and outputs it as a normal wifi signal. Up to 4 computers can log on to its wifi signal (if they are in the normal wifi range and you have told the other computers what your code is) (like a normal router). I use the O2 one, no contract - Just PAYG. This gadget is also useful if your N7 is not equipped with a phone card. You can then use the N7 as a Satnav, Using Google Maps or Mapquest (both of these require you to be online whilst setting up the route).

jg12899

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Does it work without an ATT tethering plan, that is the MobileShare that explicitly permits tethering at additional cost? I do not want to sign up for MobileShare. Thank you.

jg12899

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
SUCCESS: 3G Nexus 7 as a Wi-Fi hotspot!! No rooting, no ATT sharing plan!!

It is possible without any special ATT tethering plan. I just did it with a regular ATT 30-day prepaid plan.

The answer is the FoxFi.com app. No rooting is necessary.

This takes care of hiding the passed through packets or whatever. Interestingly enough, using a VPN will apparently do this also.

I created a wifi hotspot, which my Win7 laptop can see. Unfortunately, it can't connect but I attribute this to the wonders of Windows.

So I tried the USB cable option. This requires installing a small FoxFi application on Windows that installs a USB driver. The only thing that was a little work was setting the Nexus to developer mode (press "Build number" 7 times) and then turning on USB debugging. Then I simply connected the stock Nexus USB cable to the laptop and a well-behaved install proceeded.

And then, something incredible happened. Very un-Windows. It. Just. Worked. Everything in the install just wrapped up and I am submitting this post from the laptop through a USB cable to my Nexus 7 3G. Amazing.

Your mileage may vary, but this literally took about 10 minutes and I have a tethered hotspot.

UPDATE: My Kindle won't connect either. I tried the developer's FAQ suggestion to change the name and pwd and restart. Did not help.

At the end of the FAQ he says "If your WiFi issue is not addressed above, please use USB mode instead! It is faster, more stable and it works on ALL Android phones!" I suspect it is really hard to get wifi to work consistently and he is just tired of trying :) I am just happy to have a USB tethered laptop!!

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae