Downloading *.epub books from non-Google websites

KennethR63

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Assume the Nexus 7 e-reader can read books of e-pub format? I want to download books from the Gutenberg project, but not sure how. I connect the Nexus 7 to my PC, and the PC recognizes it. But, I don't know which folder under Nexus 7 to place the books inside. Do I need to download a different e-reader app to view these books? Thanks!

Live2ride883

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I just use the Kindle app for those books, just make sure that they era in the .mobile format. Then drop them right into the kindle folder.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Hello fellow book lover :)

The books app on the N7 is only for content purchased from Google Play. That sucks, but there is nothing we can do about it. The good news is that there are plenty of other apps that read ePubs, and several of them are really good. The one I use is Aldiko Book Reader. It allows you to import files from any folder on your device.

Just drop them in a folder named books, then open Aldiko or any other app and import them into the program via the settings menu.

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
The Kindle app can NOT read an ePub format download - period.

Reading ebooks on any device is dependent on what that device allows by way of format / application and there are many many formats. The kindle app and kindle devices only allow by default .azw, .mobi, .prc, .txt, .pdf files but NOT .ePub. Because the Nexus 7 has the latest Android OS, you may use as many eReader applications you like and there are many more good ones than you have fingers and toes. Some of the best ones can read most all of the most common ebook formats like ePub as well as those employed by the kindles, like CoolReader. More on eBook formats here: MobileRead Wiki - E-book formats

Second, eBook converter / DRM removal tools are also as common as leaves on trees and I would never say one is best. However, the freeware Calibre is very widely used in the eBook community and has versions for PC, Mac, Linux and Android. Hamster is the converter subset of Calibre. Much more info here: MobileRead Wiki - E-book conversion

some more useful links:
calibre - E-book management --> Calibre home
Calibre: a single place to view, tag, and manage your ebook collection - freewaregenius.com
Hamster Free Ebook Converter: converts ebooks across a wide range of formats - freewaregenius.com
MobileRead
614 Places for Free eBooks Online ---> currently 600+ places for free books online
Best Free eBook Reader for Android ----> reviews of some of the best Android eReader Apps
Top Apps for Reading Ebooks on Android Devices | VikiTech.com -----> same as above reviews
Comparison of Android e-book reader software - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ----> real nice comparison tables

mrmw

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
+1 Aldiko

As soon as you download an epub file, you are offered the choice to import it into Aldiko. Couldn't be slicker.

Alternately, install Calibre (an open source program) on to you PC. Calibre will translate Kindle/BN/PDF/ePub files across all formats, AND manage exporting files to your reading devices: phone, e ink reader or tablet.

I have 157 epub books on my tablet and phone and an external 5000 MAH battery and will never be in a plane or hotel without something to read ever again.

Njshoregurl

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I downloaded aldiko and fb reader both are great apps.I bought a few from the Google play but I have via fire v and love my kindle library and also have many e books for the nook app.
I'm a hard core e reader and new to nexus and android.
I am having fun reading b on the nexus and the fire was neat as well. Fire belongs to my daughter so now I have my own reader.
I do miss eink I had. Have a great day and BTW I saved many ebooks on drop box.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
+1 Aldiko

As soon as you download an epub file, you are offered the choice to import it into Aldiko. Couldn't be slicker.

Alternately, install Calibre (an open source program) on to you PC. Calibre will translate Kindle/BN/PDF/ePub files across all formats, AND manage exporting files to your reading devices: phone, e ink reader or tablet.

I have 157 epub books on my tablet and phone and an external 5000 MAH battery and will never be in a plane or hotel without something to read ever again.
Calibre can only natively convert non-DRM'd books from one format to another. Google searching is necessary to find additional plug-ins to convert DRM'd books.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12