Youtube App Eating Up Data

LittleBro98

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
The YouTube app on my nexus 7 is eating though my storage. Every video I watch it increases. Is this normal and is there why to fix this without switching to another app.

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Go to settings, applications, youtube and clear cache or data. See if that helps

My GS3 sleeps in the bed and I make my girlfriend sleep on the couch

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What do you mean by "eating through your storage"? Are you saying that your available storage memory decreases? It is normal for YouTube to use storage temporarily while watching videos because it stores the video data in the cache. It's smart enough not to increase the cache indefinitely. Unless it's impacting your device's overall performance, you shouldn't have to worry about it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The cache is up to 6 GB? That does sound abnormal. To be clear (and no offense intended), you're sure that it's the YouTube cache that's 6 GB, and that it's not the Data Usage that says 6 GB? Data Usage tracks how much cumulative data an app has used over a specified time period, to allow those who have limited data plans to keep a close eye on their usage. It's typically not an issue for Wifi-only Nexus 7's.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, still scratching my head here. Where exactly are you looking that says YouTube is taking up 6 GB of storage? Is it Settings/Storage? That doesn't list specific apps, only categories. Is it under Settings/Apps? That should only show you Data and Cache.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

mathelm

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
How bout posting a screen shot (hold power n volume down buttons down for a sec) of your settings> storage>

190757_4592508263253_1623231453_n.jpg

mathelm

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Looks good to me. You have 24.37 of 27.58gb free. So you've only used a total of 3.21gb....

Not seeing the 6gb you were speaking of.

btw, if you goto advanced at the reply window, you can upload images via the "manage attachment" button farther down on the page. I personally like to upload mine to facebook (private setting) and copy n paste the url here via the little pic icon next to the film strip icon in this reply window...

Flicker makes it impossible to post your pics on another website...

LadyOfTheWord

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
That's where I got it from.

That screen tells you how much data you have used in a given time period.
It's really useful when managing your data plan usage. It has nothing to do with your "data" on the device (unless you are downloading files with your data plan)

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Android Central Forums

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
This is what I suspected the OP meant--if you use YouTube for a while, the total data downloaded (which is what the Data Usage screen tells you) will build up. It just tells you how much data has been downloaded from the web over a period of time, not how much storage has been used. The downloaded data does NOT build up indefinitely in your storage.

As I mentioned before, YouTube will store some data in its cache, but it shouldn't reach the 6 GB range. The amount that was on your previous screenshot is more like it, in the MB range.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc