1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts

Default Tethering?

Could someone tell me what "tethering" is, why to do it and also how to do it? I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 phone with Verizon, data plan but no texting.
    Thanked by:

Default Re: Tethering?

Tethering is using your smartphone's to provide your Nexus 7 a Wi-Fi Hotspot. Just installed "Portable Wi-Fi Hotspot" from the Playstore that supports ICS & Jelly Bean. It is simple to use like a light switch to turn on and off. Just down load to both your phone and N7. Then set up you 8 letter password on you phone after you turn on the tether option. Then connect the N7 like you do to any other Wi-Fi. Just understand that depending on your data plan your Verzion bill could get very expensive if you use a lot of data.

Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts

Thanks for the info. Now that I have an idea of what it is, I don't see any reason that would make me want to do it. I have wifi at home and for the most part, every place I frequent and use my N7 has it also. If I'm somewhere that doesn't have wifi, I'll just use my phone. It also does everything that I do on the N7 for the most part, just a bit smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by Shilohcane View Post
    Just down load to both your phone and N7.
    dont need it on both device. just on the device that tether the data. in this case just the phone.
    Thanked by 2:

Well is there a free way to tether my phone avoiding T Mobile to charge my bill?? I want a wifi for my nexus 10 when im outside.......

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by plumberdv View Post
    Thanks for the info. Now that I have an idea of what it is, I don't see any reason that would make me want to do it. I have wifi at home and for the most part, every place I frequent and use my N7 has it also. If I'm somewhere that doesn't have wifi, I'll just use my phone. It also does everything that I do on the N7 for the most part, just a bit smaller.
    You would do it for the very reason you have a N7 in the first place. BECAUSE you'd rather use your N7 to do most things, regardless of there being a wifi signal or not....

Now thank those above who took the time to help you by actually clicking the "Thanks" button, and remember, google is your friend....

edit: I didn't mean to thank me...lol

but right back at ya...
    Last edited by mathelm; 01-01-2013 at 04:23 AM.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by SamsungGalaxySII View Post
    Well is there a free way to tether my phone avoiding T Mobile to charge my bill?? I want a wifi for my nexus 10 when im outside.......

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Android Central Forums
    Not sure to be honest, maybe get a sim for a network who do allow tethering. I know orange do as ive got an extra allowance for tethering.

I've tried at least 3 different hotspot apps on my TMo Note 2 and none of them work. When I had my S2 on TMo about 7 months ago I never had a problem using the hotspot apps so I dont know if its a device issue or if TMo has just clamped down on this.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Android Central Forums