You tube videos stop & start on N7?

Little Squirt

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
I love the clarity and hi-def. of this Nexus 7 screen, but sometimes the tutorials, etc. that I watch on it on You Tube stop for a few seconds here and there (buffering?) and then go forward again. I still have 24.69 GB of memory available, so is there some kind of app I need to d/l in order to avoid this vid. stopping & starting off & on? :confused:

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
excessively slow buffering indicates a poor connection someplace between your display software and the source of the vid stream. Check your settings along the part of the route you control - N7, WiFi, Router. DNS service. The part you do not control is generally not the problem but there are lots of exceptions there as well. You need to find where along the line the problem is coming from 1st.

settings > wifi >3 dots at top rt > Advanced > wifi optimization (try toggle both ways)
settings > wifi >3 dots at top rt > WiFi Direct > nothing checked
android ping & trace https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...oid.ping&feature=search_result&token=-KQgThcY
---------- general apps ----------
Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test <---- Android version available - will tell you about the general speed of your internet connection
SpeedGuide.net :: Broadband Tweaks, Tools and Info <----utilities and info on internet connections
namebench - Open-source DNS Benchmark Utility - Google Project Hosting <------ find the best DNS server
PingPlotter Freeware <-------- see the speed of the packet-hops to your machine

Little Squirt

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks bigtroutz.
I'm not all that tech-savvy so some of those (link) procedures look way over my head, but I checked out those two wi-fi settings on my N7, and for some reason my wi-fi was checked "off". It was connected to my PC via USB for 2-3 hours, so maybe it's supposed to auto shut off wi-fi after being inactive for that long, I don't know?

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
you can change all of the various time-outs for inactivity in settings (including the new "Dreaming" mode while charging), but that should have nothing to do with the slow buffering when viewing videos.

You should at least run speedtest from speedtest.net or equal, so that you can see the specifics about what the connectivity issue is. A solution could be as simple as getting a WiFi signal booster or moving your router to a higher or more central location.

Ryano89

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Just reading this thread because I have the same YouTube problem on my N7(Netflix, and play movies seem fine). I ran the speed test, but I have know idea what the numbers mean, can someone advise?... Download =6040.....Upload =4182......ping=98ms. Is this good or bad?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Ryano89

May 3, 2011
Visit site
The download speed is fine, but the ping is a little slow. Longer ping times lead to more delays or lag with online stuff, which might contribute to your problem:

Ping Test - What Is a Computer Ping Test?

Thanks for the response. I read the article you linked and it says that a good broadband connection should return a ping of less than a100(mine was 98). So in assuming a lower number means less lag? Any idea how to improve this number? I'm sitting ten feet from the router.

Update: When I run the test with the tab OUT OF THE CASE the ping number drops dramatically into the upper twenties! The download speeds jumps to 11,000! This is disturbing since I'm rocking a very expensive Portenzo Alano case... Booo

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Most good internet connections have a ping of around 30 ms or less. I don't know how old that article I linked is, but it might be out of date--100 ms seems pretty long to me.

I have read about how some cases can interfere with reception. That's a pretty significant difference!

Ryano89

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Most good internet connections have a ping of around 30 ms or less. I don't know how old that article I linked is, but it might be out of date--100 ms seems pretty long to me.

I have read about how some cases can interfere with reception. That's a pretty significant difference!

I reset my router, put the N7 back in the case and now the numbers look good again, I have no idea why, but YouTube still buffers. All other streaming apps seem to work fine, it's there anyway to get the option to preload, like I have on my gs3? Or is there a replacement YouTube app that will cache?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
My speedtests data:

Nexus 7 ping 22 ms ----- 2232 kbps down ----- 2221 kbps up WiFi to router

Desktop ping 52 ms ----- 16.24 Mbps down ---- 7.54 Mbps up gigbit ethernet w/cat5 to router

I never see YouTube buffering unless I set it for HD quality or the network is trashed someplace out of my control.

Ping is a function of the number of hops and the load on the servers thru which the hops pass. This is why we SHOULD optimize our DNS server since a good portion of each connection we make involves DNS resolution (determining where our packets of data need to be sent). It is also why we want a large capacity and well maintained service provider network. You really need to get a traceroute program like ping plotter so you can visually see how your data moves across the world and how bad things can happen in certain places out of your control.

100 ms ping is not terrible 150 and up is getting bad and anything over 200 is poor/unacceptable quality. These numbers will ALL CHANGE throughout the day based on network traffic and routing of your data packets. When the pathway to YouTube is borked on the 4th or 5th hop, there is not much you can do about it but you can optimize your connection in other places that really count. You need to make sure that the ping to the 1st and second hop, which are controlled by your router and ISP are NOT the problem and that your DNS (domain name server) is excellent and not part of the the problem.

The tools I linked will give you the information you need to take action on that portion which IS under your control after determining WHERE the problem is. .

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital