Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    906 Global Posts

Default email group question

This is not a Nexus 7 specific question, but since I have one of these devices, I thought I'd start here.

I have a Gmail account and have around 80 contacts in my contacts application. I have created a group which contains around 75 of them. What I want to do is send an email to everyone in that group.

The trouble is that neither the Gmail or the Email application will recognise the group name. It will happily add in any existing contact name, but not the group.

So, how can I get the email app (either of them) to recognise my group name?

Thanks for any advice

Alan

Global Posts
    3 Global Posts

Default Re: email group question

That is what i am trying to find out. I have an app on cellphone that works (contacts groupu) but it is not compatable with nexus 7 tablet. HELP
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    906 Global Posts

I found a program on Play - gContacts - which does what I want. Not perfect, but I hope Google are listening (ha ha ha)

Alan

I created groups in gmail on my desktop. The contact list synced to the nexus 7 including the groups. Seems to work.

Global Posts
    3 Global Posts

Yes i have groups on my desktop also, However they dont sync to my cellphone or tablet google. Should be a no brainer but for some reason google does not allow, I think ita an anti-spam thing. HELP

I too have the groups showing in my contact list, however I cant seem to select the group as an email recipient. Any ideas?

What email program are you trying to use? If I click on the group in the contacts list I'm given a choice of Comcast email or Gmail. Comcast mail only lists the first member of the group as a recipient. Gmail lists them all. My groups are fairly short, no more than 15 or so contacts. I don't know if that makes a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by donlbrn View Post
    Yes i have groups on my desktop also, However they dont sync to my cellphone or tablet google. Should be a no brainer but for some reason google does not allow, I think ita an anti-spam thing. HELP
    I found this on the Google website: "make sure you add your Google account to your android device. Any existing contacts from that account are synced with your device". I assume you have done that?
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    906 Global Posts

I have done everything Google recommends. But still no joy using Gmail or the "native" email client. I think they have missed it off.

Alan

I have the same issue. I have an outlook.com account set up as exchange and I can see the groups in my contacts but cannot send an email with the group as a recipient. Same thing on my RAZR MAXX HD.