Got the Nexus 7 for xmas..some thoughts

sr2012

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Yeah Nexus devices are very optimised so you don't need ROMs... Other devices, different story except for S3 for example.

I use SmoothROM on my Nexus 7 because I can overclock and also run Shadowgun DZ on High settings.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

Lee_Bo

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
I also got mine for Christmas and it's been great so far.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

bitek

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Yes Nexus 7 is pretty good. However spakers are bad. no rear camera and fron camera has no hd (unless you hack N7)
Also it is difficult to talk over skype in landscape because of location of camera.
Sent from Blackberry Playbook using TapaTalk 2

Last edited:

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I run CM on my phones, but here I really don't think it's needed on the N7 for me. I didn't even root. Got the 32GB, so I don't really need any extra space with an external drive or anything. When a need comes, I'll prolly root and do CM. But for now it's perfect.

Remember that in order to root, you have to unlock the bootloader. Unlocking the bootloader will wipe the ENTIRE device, so you run the risk of losing all your data. I'm not rooted now, but I'm unlocked so that if I root and install a ROM later I don't have to worry about losing data.

jstar8000

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Remember that in order to root, you have to unlock the bootloader. Unlocking the bootloader will wipe the ENTIRE device, so you run the risk of losing all your data. I'm not rooted now, but I'm unlocked so that if I root and install a ROM later I don't have to worry about losing data.
it is recommended that when you install a rom that you wipe data along with it because that old data may not cooperate with the old os.
if you are talking about TitaniumBackup, then you can keep your data

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
it is recommended that when you install a rom that you wipe data along with it because that old data may not cooperate with the old os.
if you are talking about TitaniumBackup, then you can keep your data

Yes, but wiping data before installing a ROM doesn't wipe the ENTIRE device the same way that unlocking the bootloader will. Unlocking the device will wipe the internal SD. Wiping data in recovery before installing a ROM will not. I'm quite familiar with the process as I've installed numerous ROMs on my Android phones, including a Galaxy Nexus.

bmoore0909

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I will agree that the speaker is lacking. I guess I don't use it much without headphones or bluetooth to notice that much. I don't really have the need for a rear camera, but I use the hangouts function all the time and the front camera does seem to do really well.

ski522

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I don't really have the need for a rear camera, but I use the hangouts function all the time and the front camera does seem to do really well.

Funny I'm the opposite...could careless about the front facing camera, but for depositing checks and checking bar codes the rear facing camera would have been my choice. Overall the N7 is great, but I do think not having a rear facing camera was a rather major oversight...clearly cost is an issue, but all tablets now a days need to provide both front/rear cameras.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NK01UK