Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default 4.2.1 Restrict background data bug

    It appears that with 4.2.1 you can no longer restrict background data for individual apps? When you try to do so, it instead winds-up restricting background data for all apps.

    Can someone confirm this and/or is there a fix for it?

    Thanks!

    My device = Nexus 7 3G with 4.2.1.
    Last edited by kane456; 01-04-2013 at 12:58 PM.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

    Default Re: 4.2.1 Restrict background data bug

    Can someone please test it on their device to confirm whether or not this is a universal issue?

    Settings > Data Usage > Select any random app listed > Go to top right menu and select "Restrict Background Data"

    Does a notifcation bar disclaimer pop-up saying data has been restricted for all apps?

    Thanks!
  3. #3  

    Default Re: 4.2.1 Restrict background data bug

    You are correct, in 4.21 its all or nothing for background data limiting.

    Hope its just blocked and functions still there, then making an app is still possible to have do it.

    Admiralcrom, on Nexus7 using Tapatalk2
    Thanked by:
  4. #4  

    Default Re: 4.2.1 Restrict background data bug

    Quote Originally Posted by kane456 View Post
    Can someone please test it on their device to confirm whether or not this is a universal issue?

    Settings > Data Usage > Select any random app listed > Go to top right menu and select "Restrict Background Data"

    Does a notifcation bar disclaimer pop-up saying data has been restricted for all apps?

    Thanks!
    there is your problem selecting restrict background data from menu(3 dots) on top right will restrict data for all apps.

    if you want to do it on individual app. select the app and scroll down to see a checkbox to restrict for that app.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: 4.2.1 Restrict background data bug

    Thanks so much for confirming admiralcom!

    It's a rather horrendous slip-up by Google. Especially since you really don't want to restrict data on apps like Email or other messaging apps vs. those like news readers or other google apps which download data loads of data in the background.

    Hopefully a fix would be released for this!
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: 4.2.1 Restrict background data bug

    Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    there is your problem selecting restrict background data from menu(3 dots) on top right will restrict data for all apps.

    if you want to do it on individual app. select the app and scroll down to see a checkbox to restrict for that app.
    When you select each individual app within Data Usage, there's no checkbox when you scroll down. I believe this is only the case for ICS. Whereas for Jelly Bean it's always been the three dots in the top right corner... this is the same for when you want to restrict data for all apps which you do on the apps list screen or individual apps screens.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: 4.2.1 Restrict background data bug

    Its there for me. Select the App from the list and scroll to the bottom and check the box. I'm stock Android 4.2.1.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: 4.2.1 Restrict background data bug

    Quote Originally Posted by TonyMaher View Post
    Its there for me. Select the App from the list and scroll to the bottom and check the box. I'm stock Android 4.2.1.
    No checkbox for me. Nexus 7, 4.2.1 Rooted.



    Looks like a bug to me.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: 4.2.1 Restrict background data bug

    Most apps that have the ability to sync in the background have an option in their menus for you to switch to manual refresh. Examples include Facebook and Pulse. That's probably your best solution.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Similar Threads

  1. Background data restricted? And phone idle
    By Loki0402 in forum Droid RAZR MAXX
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-30-2013, 03:36 PM
  2. restrict background data
    By puppa in forum Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2012)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-30-2013, 03:40 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-15-2010, 12:01 AM
  4. background data?
    By Lurch81#AC in forum Motorola Droid
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-13-2010, 11:14 AM
  5. no longer able to turn off background data?
    By mps623 in forum Motorola Droid
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-19-2010, 12:16 PM

Posting Permissions

B