Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Get files off Nexus 7 onto to USB flash drive

    There has been a lot written about extending the capacity of the Nexus 7 using an OTG cable and USB flash drives and how to load files from the USB to the Nexus 7 BUT can you take photos stored on a Nexus 7 and transfer them via OTG to a USB flash drive. I travel a lot in remote areas without wifi and plan to use the Nexus 7 as a photo back up device but after I load up as many as I can on the Nexus 7, I would like to drop these off to a USB drive, if I can.
    Thanked by:
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Get files off Nexus 7 onto to USB flash drive

    You can move files to the USB flash drive, but it requires rootimg the nexus.

    Admiralcrom, on Nexus7 using Tapatalk2
    mr_nobody likes this.
  3. #3  
    Android_Lee's Avatar
    Android Addict

    Posts
    711 Posts
    ROM
    Stock rooted 4.1.2 JB

    Default Re: Get files off Nexus 7 onto to USB flash drive

    Yes, I believe the only way to copy from N7 to USB is by rooting.
    @Android_Lee
    Galaxy Note III
    KitKat 4.4 Stock
    Nexus 5
    KitKat 4.4 Stock
    Nexus 7
    KitKat 4.4 Stock Rooted
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Get files off Nexus 7 onto to USB flash drive

    Root and use stickmount.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ickmount&hl=en
    Easiest way I've found to do it.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    --- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --OCTO-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Get files off Nexus 7 onto to USB flash drive

    Use Airdroid from Google Play Store. It uses wifi to connect PC website to your wifi phone or tablet. I just tried today and I was wondering able to download and upload files using my Nexus 7 and my Galaxy S3.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by 2:
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Get files off Nexus 7 onto to USB flash drive

    Quote Originally Posted by rxgadget View Post
    Use Airdroid from Google Play Store. It uses wifi to connect PC website to your wifi phone or tablet. I just tried today and I was wondering able to download and upload files using my Nexus 7 and my Galaxy S3.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Yes, that's true, and airdroid does an amazing job. But if you don't have a LAN to connect with, and you really want the files on a flash drive, then stickmount is Tue way to go. Or the media explorer thingy that was mentioned earlier. :thumbup:

    *EDIT*

    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...importer&hl=en
    This is what you can use without being rooted.
    **GO MAKE SOMETHING HAPPEN**

    sent from my N7, using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by indestructibleguy; 01-11-2013 at 04:04 PM.
    --- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --OCTO-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Get files off Nexus 7 onto to USB flash drive

    Nexus Media Importer is READ ONLY ACCESS to connected USB devices... FYI. And all read data must be piped thru NMI to a NMI selected destination app.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Get files off Nexus 7 onto to USB flash drive

    Quote Originally Posted by bigtroutz View Post
    Nexus Media Importer is READ ONLY ACCESS to connected USB devices... FYI. And all read data must be piped thru NMI to a NMI selected destination app.
    Oh... My N7 is rooted, so i never had any need to try it. So stickmount is the only way to go?



    **GO MAKE SOMETHING HAPPEN**

    sent from my N7, using Tapatalk HD
    --- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --OCTO-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Get files off Nexus 7 onto to USB flash drive

    Quote Originally Posted by indestructibleguy View Post
    So stickmount is the only way to go?
    correct - unless there is another app/kernal/mod for rooted n7s out there equal to stickmount - i am totally clueless about all the alts available for the rooted crowd...so far ...muhahhahaha - just waiting until my warranty is tested well enuf for root.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Get files off Nexus 7 onto to USB flash drive

    Quote Originally Posted by bigtroutz View Post
    correct - unless there is another app/kernal/mod for rooted n7s out there equal to stickmount - i am totally clueless about all the alts available for the rooted crowd...so far ...muhahhahaha - just waiting until my warranty is tested well enuf for root.
    ...what do you mean, 'until my warranty is tested' ?



    **GO MAKE SOMETHING HAPPEN**

    sent from my N7, using Tapatalk HD
    --- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --OCTO-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Get files off Nexus 7 onto to USB flash drive

    equals ---- >> I will root my n7 after I run it for a few more months (it is only two months old) just in case I need warranty service since supposedly rooting voids the warranty. I don't really need all the bells and whistles provided by rooting at this point, so no rush for me. Soon tho.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Get files off Nexus 7 onto to USB flash drive

    Quote Originally Posted by bigtroutz View Post
    equals ---- >> I will root my n7 after I run it for a few more months (it is only two months old) just in case I need warranty service since supposedly rooting voids the warranty. I don't really need all the bells and whistles provided by rooting at this point, so no rush for me. Soon tho.
    Soon. you'll get tired of stock, and then the fun begins.



    **GO MAKE SOMETHING HAPPEN - I.Guy*

    sent from my N7, using Tapatalk HD
    --- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --OCTO-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Get files off Nexus 7 onto to USB flash drive

    Hi, i just read all ur comments on the usb and nexus. I am trying to transfer photos, music and more from my nexus to the 8gb sandisk flash drive. i have no clue what rooting is. can u help me. i have been searching for answers for a while now. pls help;
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Get files off Nexus 7 onto to USB flash drive

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicole Koerner View Post
    Hi, i just read all ur comments on the usb and nexus. I am trying to transfer photos, music and more from my nexus to the 8gb sandisk flash drive. i have no clue what rooting is. can u help me. i have been searching for answers for a while now. pls help;
    I would highly recommend you forget about rooting. It doesn't really sound like the right course for your needs.

    Instead, simply connect your Nexus 7 to your computer with the USB cable, and transfer your files to the computer, and from the computer to the flash drive. Or transfer directly to the flash drive that is connected to your computer. You'll use Windows Explorer to locate files and perform the transfers.

    You can also use the free app AirDroid (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....sand.airdroid) to transfer files wirelessly. You'll use your internet browser on your computer as the interface to interact with your Nexus 7. You don't even have to have your N7 with you after the initial setup. The interface is very intuitive, making transfers simple. Plus, it offers many other utilities, such as locating and locking your lost N7.

    Alternatively, Nexus Media Importer (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ususb.importer) now has the ability to transfer files from the N7 to a flash drive. You do not need to be rooted. However, the flash drive must be formatted as FAT16 or FAT32 in order for that to work. You'll also need a cheap OTG USB cable, and the app itself is a paid app, so this isn't a free solution.
    Thanked by 2:
    mr_nobody likes this.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Get files off Nexus 7 onto to USB flash drive

    If not rooted, install Nexus Media Importer but gonna cost you
    Last edited by Patrick Schroedl; 06-07-2013 at 03:44 PM.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Get files off Nexus 7 onto to USB flash drive

    Nexus Media Importer is not free but it still is relatively cheap as I recall. You will need an OTG cable to use the Nexus 7 USB OTG feature and you may have to order this on line say from Amazon where you will see a choice for a few dollars. Good idea to plan ahead since some are from Hong Kong and take several weeks to arrive. Good idea to add this feature to the N7 and will allow you to store a lot of files on flash drives for offline use and reducing the clog on your N7 memory.

    From my N7 or BBPB or HPTP or HP Laptop
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Get files off Nexus 7 onto to USB flash drive

    Hi, Just bought a Google Nexus 10 and have started to get familiar with it. I read your comments on this thread and I bought the Nexus Media Importer. I had already bought an OTG. As far as I can tell, when I connect a USB stick to the tablet, I only have read permission. Is there some way I can transfer photo files from the Nexus to an attached USB stick? Or is that utterly impossible?
  18. #18  
    sparksd's Avatar

    Posts
    332 Posts
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts

    Default Re: Get files off Nexus 7 onto to USB flash drive

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Atroshenko View Post
    Hi, Just bought a Google Nexus 10 and have started to get familiar with it. I read your comments on this thread and I bought the Nexus Media Importer. I had already bought an OTG. As far as I can tell, when I connect a USB stick to the tablet, I only have read permission. Is there some way I can transfer photo files from the Nexus to an attached USB stick? Or is that utterly impossible?
    Couple of questions - are you using Connect as Export in the NMI menu? Is your stick formatted FAT32 (only supported format for writing)?
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Get files off Nexus 7 onto to USB flash drive

    I am using a stick formatted FAT32. No problem reading files. Movies play well from USB stick so I don't have to import the movie files onto the Nexust itself. They simply disappear when the USB stick is unplugged. I can't see any sign for "Connect as Export" in the NMI menu. The dialog box says that the USB stick is Read Only. No mention of write privileges.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Get files off Nexus 7 onto to USB flash drive

    On another topic, are there any anti-virus apps for the Nexus 10, like AVG (the free version) or Spybot? Is there any reason to use anti-virus apps here?
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Get files off Nexus 7 onto to USB flash drive

    I found the box to tick for write to USB privileges. Just sent some photos across from the Nexus to the FAT 32 USB stick. Slowly learning to use the Nexus 10. It is a very nice tablet!
  22. #22  
    stormborn's Avatar

    Posts
    1 Posts
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts

    Default Re: Get files off Nexus 7 onto to USB flash drive

    Kaspersky One is an antivirus that allows you to install it on Mac/PC and Android. Android has the most malware of mobile OS's out there so yea it's a good idea
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Get files off Nexus 7 onto to USB flash drive

    AVG, Avast, Lookout, Norton, McAfee, BitDefender, Saphos & Webroot all make anti-virus apps for Android. Search the Play store.

    Posted via Android Central App
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Get files off Nexus 7 onto to USB flash drive

    where did you find the box to tick for write to privileges?
  25. #25  

    Default Re: Get files off Nexus 7 onto to USB flash drive

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Atroshenko View Post
    I found the box to tick for write to USB privileges. Just sent some photos across from the Nexus to the FAT 32 USB stick. Slowly learning to use the Nexus 10. It is a very nice tablet!
    Where did you find the box to tick?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-24-2012, 05:36 AM
  2. Cant get S-off, Need someone to double check me PLZ!
    By jackwagon06 in forum Incredible 2 Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-23-2012, 05:07 PM
  3. getting the google nexus 7 to work in the uk
    By DJMandroid in forum Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2012)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-27-2012, 05:03 PM
  4. USB Flash drive
    By REHolt218 in forum Motorola Xoom
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-28-2011, 09:39 PM
  5. USB Flash drive?
    By buurin in forum Motorola Xoom
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-25-2011, 08:35 PM

Posting Permissions