"Unfortunately, Settings Has Stopped"

carlcopsey

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
I can open settings and go to every area within settings, but when I try to go into "Storage", I get this error. I can't reboot unless I Unmount my sd card or it will say it's damaged upon reboot. Any idea why i'm getting this error?

And...is there a way to Unmount sd card, without going into settings?

Thanks.

James Falconer

Former Community Manager
Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Carl,

On which device are you trying to do this? Let me know and I'll move this thread to the appropriate location... will help you get a speedy response.

Goth Angel

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Can I jump in here as well? I get that message only when I try to change my user picture from Settings but it's got me a bit worried (and annoyed). Could it be because I disabled some apps like Google + and the voice search? I enabled them again to try and see if it helps, but still nada :( I'm using Nexus 7 32GB

Goth Angel

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Can I jump in here as well? I get that message only when I try to change my user picture from Settings but it's got me a bit worried (and annoyed). Could it be because I disabled some apps like Google + and the voice search? I enabled them again to try and see if it helps, but still nada :( I'm using Nexus 7 32GB

Can someone please, please help? It's really bugging me now that I can't put a user photo. I know it's not vital, but if I'm supposed to have the option and it doesn't work, then something's wrong, and I want to find out what it is :-/

syantra

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem with my nexus 4 with security settings. this is really annoying as I cannot lock the screen or install apks which are not secured. my phone is rooted and on 4.2.2 Android version. I tried factory reset, with no luck. Please can someone help me with this?

James Falconer

Former Community Manager
Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Moving this thread to Nexus 7 forum. Seems most applicable there... syantra, the solution will no doubt apply to your Nexus 4 as well, so be sure to subscribe to this thread!

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem with my nexus 4 with security settings. this is really annoying as I cannot lock the screen or install apks which are not secured. my phone is rooted and on 4.2.2 Android version. I tried factory reset, with no luck. Please can someone help me with this?

I had the same problem with my Nexus 4 after the 4.2.2 upgrade and this is how I fixed it:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2150392

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

JTKDaddy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I had a similar issue with my Epic Touch 4G upgrade to Jellybean. Fixed it by first toggling bluetooth off from the notification panel and then launched settings.

[Edit] Spoke too soon. If I enable bluetooth and wait for a couple of minutes and then try to launch setttings, the same issue occurs again. Disabling bluetooth will allow me to get back into settings, but it looks like this is a bug in Jellybean.

AndrewRich

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I had a similar issue with my Epic Touch 4G upgrade to Jellybean. Fixed it by first toggling bluetooth off from the notification panel and then launched settings.

[Edit] Spoke too soon. If I enable bluetooth and wait for a couple of minutes and then try to launch setttings, the same issue occurs again. Disabling bluetooth will allow me to get back into settings, but it looks like this is a bug in Jellybean.

Yes, I get this when turning on Bluetooth, but seemingly only when BT connects to my car's handsfree right away. If there's no auto-connect device within range, no error.

E4GT, GB27 (Jelly Bean), rooted.

cattracks31

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Have an Epic 4G Touch from Sprint with exactly same problem. Upgraded to JB, followed all instructions. Did not load any new apps. When Bluetooth pairs with a device the "Unfortunately Settings blah blah" error message comes along and Settings goes bye-bye. Comes back when Bluetooth un-pairs with the device. It's only when the device is paired for my phone. Definitely not just Nexus.

Last edited:

Michael Parmley

May 1, 2013
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy SII Epic 4G Touch with Sprint and after I upgraded to Jelly Beans, I could not get into settings at all. I would choose settings and then get the message "Unfortunately, Settings has Stopped." After reading the comments above, I tried turning off bluetooth and was able to get in just fine. Now, the only problem is I cannot get the phone to pair with my bluetooth headset. When I put the Plantronics headset into pairing mode and scan for bluetooth devices, it does not see it.

Okay, update. While posting this, the pairing expired on my headset and then, voila, my headset suddenly appeared in the device list as paired even though the headset said "Pairing unsuccessful, powering off." I powered the headset back on and voila again, it changed status to connected for both audio and phone. I then exited settings and tried to go back into settings and no problem.

Jithin Jothikumar

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
my sony xperia L is showing "Unfortunately, Settings Has Stopped" when i access 'transfer apps from internal storage to external sd card'
in settings. what should i do? i just upgraded it to android 4.2.2 through pc companion

GiveMLHarry

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Google this is pure BS! This is the kind of crappy programming we expect from MS. I thought you were better, but obviously not. I can't get in and even set my time and date without getting the message "setup has stopped working". I guess I will have to try Apple for my next phone. You have had a long time to post a fix for this and haven't. You obviously don't give a damn about your customers.

Lucky Jon

Apr 15, 2016
Visit site
I can open settings and go to every area within settings, but when I try to go into "Storage", I get this error. I can't reboot unless I Unmount my sd card or it will say it's damaged upon reboot. Any idea why i'm getting this error?

And...is there a way to Unmount sd card, without going into settings?

Thanks.