what is maximum wifi password length??

tommls

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I've tried using a 63-character wifi password key on my Nexus 7.
I get a message saying it can't connect to the network.
It can't be that I incorrectly copied and pasted in the key...
A shorter key, 30-some characters, works.
I know not to use special characters, it is a randomized series of letters and numbers obtained from grc.com's password generator.
Does anyone know the Nexus 7's maximum length for its wifi password??
Thank you, Tom

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I've tried using a 63-character wifi password key on my Nexus 7.
I get a message saying it can't connect to the network.
It can't be that I incorrectly copied and pasted in the key...
A shorter key, 30-some characters, works.
I know not to use special characters, it is a randomized series of letters and numbers obtained from grc.com's password generator.
Does anyone know the Nexus 7's maximum length for its wifi password??
Thank you, Tom

802.11 - maximum length of a wifi access point's SSID:
According to the documentation of the standard, the length of an SSID should be a maximum of 32 characters (32 octets, normally ASCII letters and digits, though the standard itself doesn't exclude values).
Some access point/router firmware versions use null-terminated strings and accept only 31 characters.

source:
802.11 - What is the maximum length of a wifi access point's SSID? - Server Fault

tommls

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I am not asking about the SSID aka the "name" of the wireless network.
I am asking about the passphrase, the password, the WPA2 key, the sequence of characters one enters to authenticate for usage of the wireless network which has a given assigned SSID.
Thank you, Tom

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Keep typing until it stops you and then count how many letters and or numbers you typed. Hey I'm a genius!

My GS3 sleeps in the bed and I make my girlfriend sleep on the couch

tommls

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Keep typing until it stops you and then count how many letters and or numbers you typed. Hey I'm a genius!

rather impractical since changing the pass requires rebooting both the router and the nexus....trying to find an answer to this question w/o spending HOURS on it...thank you, :) tom

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Why does changing the password require you to reboot? Once you hit save the router should automatically update itself and all you would have to do on the nexus us disconnect and re connect.

At least that's how every router I've ever owned has worked.

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS ;)

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Why does changing the password require you to reboot? Once you hit save the router should automatically update itself and all you would have to do on the nexus us disconnect and re connect.

At least that's how every router I've ever owned has worked.

I didn't wanna say anything because then they'd say I was hating but thanks because that's what I thought.

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
My suggestion is just make something you will remember. Mine is 8 characters long, but you'll never guess it.

The chances of someone spending a considerable amount of time trying to hack into your personal wifi is slim to none.

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
and unless you work at the pentagon guarding the secret of obama's underwear size, why would you need a key that long?....:confused:

Hey I'm thinking the same thing you guys are but if I say it, they'll call me a troll lol. So I am so glad you guys are saying it. Keep it coming!

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I am not asking about the SSID aka the "name" of the wireless network.
I am asking about the passphrase, the password, the WPA2 key, the sequence of characters one enters to authenticate for usage of the wireless network which has a given assigned SSID.
Thank you, Tom

My misunderstanding, sorry. The 802.11 std maximum key length is apparently dependent at least on the security protocol employed:
WEP
ASCII requests an input of 5 characters for a 64-bit key and 13 characters for a 128-bit key.
For Hexadecimal, enter 10 characters for a 64-bit key or 26 characters for a 128-bit key in hexadecimal notation.

WPA-PSK:
In the Passphrase mode, the input must be 8 to 63 characters. In the Hexadecimal mode, enter 64 characters.

That does not exclude the possibility that ANY DEVICE manufacturer may decide to create it's OWN maximum, herding cats being what it is and since humans do not always follow standards. Feel free to sue them, hahahaha.

Last edited:

paulgj

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
For what its worth, I have a 63 character WPA2 key and it does work on my N7. Luckily it copied it from the settings on my Galaxy Nexus phone so I didn't have to type it in again.

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
For what its worth, I have a 63 character WPA2 key and it does work on my N7. Luckily it copied it from the settings on my Galaxy Nexus phone so I didn't have to type it in again.

I'm going to hack it Lol I only have 62 more characters to figure out. I'm coming for that for wifi bro!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463