Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Default Re: Are your N7's still Buttery Smooth?

Mine is still smooth as ice, using stock firmware.

Global Posts
    403 Global Posts

I noticed that after 4.2.1 came out and I added a 2nd account to my N7, the LAG definitely increased...

Global Posts
    403 Global Posts

Also, I found that my first N7 was incredibly laggy when filled up...

See this YoutTube video

I found that by wiping it (factory reset) that fixed it. But I never found out why it was the way it was in the video...

If your screen is lifting I would guess that's the problem. My current N7 runs very smooth. The first one I had though was not. I got to experience it with 4.1 and 4.2 and the screen was lifting the whole time I had it and it was always super choppy. I don't know if yours is the same way, but it felt like the touch sensitivity of the screen was bad, thus making it not a smooth experience at all.
    Especially if you have done a factory reset and still get the same poor performance then you can basically rule out software.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #30  

Default Are your N7's still Buttery Smooth?

Ya socratesman, the touch sensitivity seemed not so great. But the weird thing is I could put it to sleep sometimes an have it work better a few sec later. Other times it took shutting it off for a while to get results.

Ya I'd def miss the more customizable nature of android if I did switch. Lets hope when I get it back from Asus in another week or two it will work well enough to keep.
    Sent using TouchPal on my Nexus 7.

Ya, 4.2 lagged pretty bad for me after I added a second account. I removed the account, still lagged. I was also having issues with root and stickmount (not sure if fixed yet or not, TBH). Went back to 4.1.2 and I am pleased. I do miss the new upgrades to the keyboard in 4.2.

Still buttery smooth here, but I'm still on 4.1.2 (never saw a real reason to update to anything newer) and I'm using the AOSP browser instead of Chrome (which is disabled) because I find it runs circles around it. Disabled the update notification via the Auto starts app linked in a previous post (requires root). I understand this is a Nexus device and the vanilla Android experience is OK (features in my Note 2 kill it!), but one thing I've found I absolutely hate about a Nexus is being a beta tester for Google (something AC's Jerry has admitted we are). So, I'm very happy to be off that roller coaster and just enjoy my 4.1.2 Nexus 7.

ROM
    Stock 4.1.1 JB. (for Now)

No lag on my N7. But then I have not had it long and it came with 4.2.1 already on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eduardo06sp View Post
    If I download any more applications, my device gets noticeably slow. I have about three gigabytes free.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    I had a similar problem - I loaded about 12 GB of music onto my N7, and it started behaving very poorly. In the end, I had to remove the music and do a factory reset to get back to a usable state.
    Just removing the music to release space wasn't enough.

Like all the guys who replied before me renewing your battery cycle or simply rebooting the device speeds things back to normal for me but yes the nexus 7 does get sluggish over extended time with no reboot

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Since factory reset and not using encryption this time, things seem better. And Netflix isn't slow as snails anymore. But I've had a crash or two. Most recent crash was YouTube, the video started skip repeating a few frames while sound continued. Then it pixelated and rebooted. I had recently rebooted manually after running for days.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #37  

My issue is solved! I sent the tablet out to Asus who fixed my screen lift(took 2 trips to them though) I then disabled Google Currents which others said cause major issues and its very smooth now

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Sent using TouchPal on my Nexus 7.

It never really was "buttery smooth" but 4.2 seemed to make it a little worse for some reason.

If I really cared about buttery smoothness, I would have gotten an iPad since Android is never going to match it for UI smoothness no matter what promises Google makes. I'm OK with that though, for $249 I absolutely got my money's worth and then some. I'm satisfied.

Mine was starting to get slow and laggy so I installed a task manager. I found that a LOT of games I downloaded were auto-running themselves at startup in the background. I removed any of them that were. They don't deserve to be on my device if they're going to be sneaky.

Now my only issues are when apps cause problems. For example, if I open the Facebook app and exit within a minute or so it will leave my GPS icon up at the top and make my N7 slow until I reboot. I can go turn off GPS and it won't get rid of the icon. It's really odd, but I can only assume it's a problem with FB and not my tablet. So now any time I use FB I have to sit there in it and wait for the GPS icon to go away before I exit the app, which can sometimes take 3 or 4 minutes.

Searched for this thread for a while I but I knew Id find it. Ill answer with a very loud NO. My Nexus 7 is no longer buttery smooth, and noticeably slower compared to my N4. Pulling up the keyboard is the big challenge and that really contributes to the slowdown especially when you want to do a quick search in twitter then go back to scrolling. Other apps its having lags with are Chrome and Drive. Ive been using the Xfinity app recently, a lot, beginning to think that might have contributed to the slowdown.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris2 View Post
    Searched for this thread for a while I but I knew Id find it. Ill answer with a very loud NO. My Nexus 7 is no longer buttery smooth, and noticeably slower compared to my N4. Pulling up the keyboard is the big challenge and that really contributes to the slowdown especially when you want to do a quick search in twitter then go back to scrolling. Other apps its having lags with are Chrome and Drive. Ive been using the Xfinity app recently, a lot, beginning to think that might have contributed to the slowdown.
    Go into the app list and uninstall updates from Chrome. I did that and it seemed to speed up my entire device, not just Chrome. Very weird, but it helped me. I did it yesterday and it has felt faster since.

Not horrible but no it is not buttery smooth. I would say that I am more frustrated with the performance of my Nexus 7 than I am by my Galaxy Nexus (both running 4.2.2). Hoping a future Nexus 7 fixes this but also looking to buy an iPad to see what the other side is like (never owned an iOS device before).

Global Posts
    403 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Saturn1217 View Post
    Not horrible but no it is not buttery smooth. I would say that I am more frustrated with the performance of my Nexus 7 than I am by my Galaxy Nexus (both running 4.2.2). Hoping a future Nexus 7 fixes this but also looking to buy an iPad to see what the other side is like (never owned an iOS device before).
    You might like an iPad... many do. We have two iPad 4's and for me, they are too big and heavy. I also dislike the lack of customization that I have grown used to with Android.

So I picked up an iPad Mini on a whim and kept it about a week. Form factor is better than iPad 4 but it is definitely a first Gen product .... and you should never buy a first Gen Apple product IMHO ...

If one of your complaints about the N7 is that it is too small, you will appreciate the iPad 4's size. Otherwise me thinks you won't like it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Saturn1217 View Post
    I bought my Nexus 7 in February just a few days after buying a Nexus 4. The Nexus 7 still has it's good points and bad. I had a problem where I would barely get to use mine thirty minutes to an hour and the battery would be ready to be charged after 17-20 hrs or so.This week, it seems to be much better with two hours usage and 1 day 5 hrs standby with 50% battery. I don't think that my Nexus 7 has slowed down any at all in these few months.

I did buy an iPad Mini two weeks ago and I have to say that I love using it more than the Nexus 7. Many of the apps available for the iPad are made 100% better than the versions of the same apps that I have on the Nexus 7. Many of the N7 apps are just scaled up phone versions whereas the iPad versions actually look much different than the iPhone version. Not sure why the Android developers just don't care enough to make a proper tablet version yet. I also am getting between 10-15 hrs usage with 1 day to 1.5 days standby on my iPad Mini. Wish I could get that on my Nexus 7.

A few weeks back, I made a lengthy post in one of the threads comparing several of the apps between iPad/Android and included screen caps.

I'm still happy that I own both, a Nexus 7 and an iPad Mini. Buying the Mini was the best decision I made in months.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12