SIM Card Issues.

Synomenon

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Purchased a 32GB 3G Nexus 7 from Google. First one had a cluster of dead pixels so I returned it along with the Micro-SIM it came with.

They sent me a replacement, but it did not come with a Micro-SIM. So, I had some back and forth emails with Google for about a week, trying to get them to send me a Micro-SIM. I ended up just going to an AT&T corporate store to get one.

That was yesterday. I've had this Micro-SIM in the N7 now for a day and I did pay $15 to activate one month / 250MB of data just to try it out.

It works, but I keep getting two different messages on the screen randomly at different times, that say:

SIM card removed
The mobile network will be unavailable until you restart with a valid SIM card inserted.

I press the restart button and once it's on again and on the pin screen (where I enter my 4-digit code), it says, "NO SIM CARD" beneath the number pad.

I'll proceed and enter my pin. Do some stuff, play games, check email, just use it regularly and all of a sudden I'll get that SIM card removed message again asking to restart the N7.

The other message I get as well (also randomly) is:

SIM card added
Restart your device to access the mobile network.

Anyone know what's 'causing all of this? Any fixes?

rxgadget

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
I purchased my N7 from outside Google and found out no sim card was in it. I called AT&T and T-Mobile and was told not only sad there a charge for it but I had to activate of instantly for just using pre paid.

I finally went to a att store and the customer rep kindly gave me one free.
I have not activated it yet but when I first put it in I received the same messages you are getting now.

Try calling AT&T or better bring into store.

Let me know your results and I am going to try and activate my card for a month to try as well.

Good luck. Wish I had more advice for you.

Sent from my VZW Samsung Galaxy S 3.

Old has beens.. LG flip - Droid X - Droid X2 - Droid Charge (3 days) - Droid Incredible 2

rxgadget

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
The idiots at the AT&T store have no idea. Brought it there already.

Well as promised, I activated my AT&T sim card. I had been told by in store rep and live in chat reps to call the 800# to get it activated and not use Web site for 1st time. After 3 transfers was disconnected. After the next 5 transfers I still least got to the correct department of Prepay Sales. I explained I had the N7 and an installed sim card and wanted to purchase a month of data. Well low and behold hevhss no idea how to do this. "Well on the iPad thus us here and you go here...." Finally, the genius says you should do it through the website but I will stay on the line to make sure it works when done.

I filled out all the information as required and got a confirmation that I purchased 3GB to be used from 1/7/2013 10:48pm to 2/6/2013 10:47pm.

Before I started calling I had shut off my wifi and Bluetooth and turned mobile data on and N7 powered off.

Power on says AT&T on bottom of lock screen and a data lines like a mobile phone with 5 bars. I tried websites on Chrome over and over. Once purple.com did appear. Couldn't get Google.com or att.com, Nada.

Rep tried to resend signal, I turned N7 on and off a few times. Finally, I went to settings>more>mobile and made sure mobile data was on and also 2G was unchecked. I went to check Access Point bd made sure ATT Broadband was checked. Next I went to APN and used the 3 dots (menu) and chose default. After backing out I was able to pull up a couple Web sites.

It was slow and dragging slower than a slug so I turned it off. About 20 minutes later I turned it in and switched off wifi and put on mobile data. No problems at all now. I pulled up most websites on Chrome and Dolphin. I even tried playing Words with Friends with no problems.

Sorry for the very detailed information.

Try finding APN and reset default. Also, verify mobile data is checked on and wifi off.

mathelm

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Is it possible it's just not making good contact? I haven't activated the one that came with mine, but it always shows to be there.....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Synomenon

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Well as promised, I activated my AT&T sim card. I had been told by in store rep and live in chat reps to call the 800# to get it activated and not use Web site for 1st time. After 3 transfers was disconnected. After the next 5 transfers I still least got to the correct department of Prepay Sales. I explained I had the N7 and an installed sim card and wanted to purchase a month of data. Well low and behold hevhss no idea how to do this. "Well on the iPad thus us here and you go here...." Finally, the genius says you should do it through the website but I will stay on the line to make sure it works when done.

I filled out all the information as required and got a confirmation that I purchased 3GB to be used from 1/7/2013 10:48pm to 2/6/2013 10:47pm.

Before I started calling I had shut off my wifi and Bluetooth and turned mobile data on and N7 powered off.

Power on says AT&T on bottom of lock screen and a data lines like a mobile phone with 5 bars. I tried websites on Chrome over and over. Once purple.com did appear. Couldn't get Google.com or att.com, Nada.

Rep tried to resend signal, I turned N7 on and off a few times. Finally, I went to settings>more>mobile and made sure mobile data was on and also 2G was unchecked. I went to check Access Point bd made sure ATT Broadband was checked. Next I went to APN and used the 3 dots (menu) and chose default. After backing out I was able to pull up a couple Web sites.

It was slow and dragging slower than a slug so I turned it off. About 20 minutes later I turned it in and switched off wifi and put on mobile data. No problems at all now. I pulled up most websites on Chrome and Dolphin. I even tried playing Words with Friends with no problems.

Sorry for the very detailed information.

Try finding APN and reset default. Also, verify mobile data is checked on and wifi off.

Thanks for posting about your experience with this. I did try setting the APN to default and have verified mobile data is checked w/ wifi off.

Is it possible it's just not making good contact? I haven't activated the one that came with mine, but it always shows to be there.....

I though it could be this too. Can't verify this one w/o going to the AT&T store and trying another micro-SIM.

mathelm

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
With my nextel phones, I use to just rub it back n forth on my jeans...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1