Nexus 7: Cannot connect to free public wifi network that requires a sign in/login page?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Cannot connect to free public wifi network that requires a sign in/login page?

Welcome to Android Central! Have you tried "forgetting" the network in the Settings>Wi-Fi menu, then reconnecting?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Cannot connect to free public wifi network that requires a sign in/login page?

You also cleared the data for Chrome in the Settings>Apps>All​ menu?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Ok, I'm grasping at straws here. Have you tried turning off Chrome's pop-up blocker? ​Menu>Settings>Content settings>Block pop-ups.

Madzmadz13

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site

Ok, I'm grasping at straws here. Have you tried turning off Chrome's pop-up blocker? ​Menu>Settings>Content settings>Block pop-ups.

Nope. Tried that too....I'm about to give up and send it back to amazon...it's sad. I do not understand :( I just wanted to use it at work- that is all.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Bummer. My last guess would be that it has something to do with your company's actual network security settings, but if your IT people have no clue, then I sure as heck don't know!

ramminggull

Jan 9, 2014
Visit site

I can now add my frustrations to the list.

My work has had wifi available for a long time, though knew it was problematic, and most of us at work just didn't bother trying to connect. The network would be temperamental with log-in pages and had a setting that after about 5 minutes of inactivity it would disconnect the user.

2 months ago they installed all new wireless routers around the building, and came out announcing a new enhanced WiFi network and said there are two to pick from, an employee account that we'd log in using our existing username and password, and a guest account, username "guest" password "insert password (i'm not going to post the real password here). The instructions to connect the phones/tablets to the network were written as instructions for both android and apple devices but I could quickly tell the were for apple devices only. I tried to follow along guessing how android would do the same thing, to realize the settings that I needed to change (on an apple device) to access the network were not settings you can get to in android - IT later admitted android users have to use the guest network.

Great, not a big deal, except when you select the guest network in the wifi list, it connects, then I get the notification to sign in. It opens my web browser - first i'm greeted with a message that the source is not a trusted certificate, I say ok anyway. I enter the username and password as instructed and it always says log-in failed, username or password incorrect.

I've had IT look at this, and had them physically take my phone and try to enter the username/password themselves. It just won't accept it. Everyone else's android or apple devices at work will connect to the network, but not my Galaxy 3. Similar to the last visitor to the forum back in December I've tried downloading dolphin, I've cleared cookies and browsing history, I've turned WiFi on and off, I've turned the phone on and off, I've just stubbornly entered the username and password a dozen times over. Why won't my phone connect but everyone else's will! I've never had this problem with any other WiFi network anywhere.

ReadyMadeBeef

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site

I had the same issue, so frustrating.

Fixed it by opening chrome in incognito mode and surfing to a random page. Give that a shot next time.

samerY

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site

Solution:

Go to your network connection>modify network>change connection from DHCP to static>use gateway address same as ip address, use dns1=8.8.8.8 and dns2=8.8.4.4. ---------->now you should be able to get to the login page

Posted via Android Central App

chubby22

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site

I kept getting kicked off the network at this hotel. Typical certificate has expired message. Would say connected for about a minute, then get kicked off. I tried the suggestion of modifying the network. Changed it to static IP and changed both DNS fields. So far, it has worked like a charm!!! Thanks for that suggestion!!!

prushnix

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site

Solution:

Go to your network connection>modify network>change connection from DHCP to static>use gateway address same as ip address, use dns1=8.8.8.8 and dns2=8.8.4.4. ---------->now you should be able to get to the login page

Your soultion worked for me too.
Thanks a lot !!!!! :)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Welcome to Android Central! Go to Settings/Wi-Fi, and then long-press your Wi-Fi network. Select "Modify Network," then check "Advanced," and then follow the instructions above.

alex6001

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site

I had issue with my android ZTE Radiant phone. Here's what I did to get it resolved:
System settings/wifi/Advanced, uncheck "Avoid no internet connections (don't use a Wi-Fi network unless it has a internet connection".

petergregg

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site

I did that too but with no luck. What should I have done after saving the changes?

mail registro

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
After trying everything (or almost) in the answers of this post and nothing, actually, worked, i kept on dragging and sliding my finger into the settings of my Galaxy Grand DUOS 2, Android 4.3 and found out, the following solution:

Being connected to the wifi net (in this case one of the, at least 3, that i had problems with, in the last month. All of them, hotel networks, with these login webpages that you have to login and accept terms first, to get internet):
(i'll try to do general indications)

- SETTINGS, WI-FI ON, CONNECT TO THE NETWORK
- LONG PRESS THE WI-FI NETWORK YOU ARE ALREADY CONNECTED TO
- CHOOSE "MODIFY NETWORK
- MAKE IT SHOW THE ADVANCED OPTIONS, CLICKING THE CHECK BOX (MIGHT BE ALREADY CHECKED)
- SET THE PROXY SETTINGS TO NONE (NOT MANUAL)
- SAVE

After doing that, i went to more than one browser (default, Chrome, etc.) and on all of them worked going to a random URL that automatically redirected me to the login webpage for accessing to the internet and got connected.

Just so you know, after being connected, i went back to the proxy settings and noticed that even when i set it to NONE, the network set it back to MANUAL (with a default configuration) but i could keep on surfing the web without trouble.

I really expect that this answer may help somebody in the future and maybe he/she could share it with us because somebody else is wondering if the solution given for every one of us, it actually works.

Greetings.
;)

kjstarr

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site
I just recently bough a Samsung Nexus tablet and do a lot of traveling with work. While staying at a Marriott, I quickly and frustratingly realized my tablet would not go to the splash page to login in order to access the hotel wifi. I did everything this site suggested including clearing any caches, and stored data, turning off pop up blockers, turning it off and back on, everything.An hour later I was playing around in the wifi settings and found the solution!
Go to your settings>connections>wifi and there should be a little menu icon in the top right hand corner (if your tablet layout is the same as mine), click on the menu and click Advanced.
There you will find an option caled Passpoint that may o may not say something like "Tap to see other available passpoint-enabled Wifi APs". Click the box, or slide the bar but turn this option ON.
Go back to connections, forget the wifi connection, re connect, then open your internet browser (not Chrome) go to random site and it should automatically bring up the splash page!

Mark Siron

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
google chrome with the android 5.0 doent give a login screen automatically anymore. If you goto content settings and uncheck the popup blocker, it may work. I loaded dolphin and changed the popup blocker and i was able to log in.
although it still shows the exclaimation point on my wifi icon even though it clearly loged me into my company website