Nexus 7: Cannot connect to free public wifi network that requires a sign in/login page?

Quickdraw996

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
Re: Cannot connect to free public wifi network that requires a sign in/login page?

Just wondering.g if anyone has a fix that doesn't involve connecting to any network? I'm overseas and I can't get it to connect to anything so no downloading. It occationally tries to connect to a log in page but always fails. Any tips? My only browser is opera.

Try doing the same thing but with the AOSP browser instead of dolphin browser.

It works perfectly for me.

jerry garcia3

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
I was having the same problem with my Nexus 7 Tablet. It wouldn't log into Mcdonalds free wifi. I simply went into settings and turned off my "Mobile data" and then opened a browser and got connected instantly. Hope this helps .

Paul JA

Mar 8, 2015
Visit site
I am following this thread with interest. I have the same problem with the Nexus 10. I turned off the pop-up blocker on Chrome and this likewise did not work.

Gordo4

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
From the WiFi settings screen, when you connect to the public WiFi do not go to your browser.
Click on the new WiFi connection. It will open the login page in your default browser.

Evlas1013

May 13, 2015
Visit site
Re: Cannot connect to free public wifi network that requires a sign in/login page?

This fixed the issue for me on my Galaxy Note 4 running Lollipop. In chrome, I went to Settings>Privacy>Clear Browsing Data. I checked Browsing History, Cache, and Cookies,Site data. Once that was cleared, I closed Chrome, reopened it, and the T&C page came up so I could accept the terms. I've been scowering the web and this was the first thing that helped me. Thanks!

Evlas1013

May 13, 2015
Visit site

I seem to have fixed the issue on my Galaxy Note 4 running Lollipop. I read another user in another forum mention that there may be a limit on the number of cookies stored in a browser. Every time you accept the terms on that login site, it saves a new one. Clearing the data allowed me to login again.

In chrome, I went to Settings>Privacy>Clear Browsing Data. I checked Browsing History, Cache, and Cookies,Site data. Once that was cleared, I closed Chrome, reopened it, and the T&C page came up so I could accept the terms. I've been scowering the web and this was the first thing that helped me. Good Luck!

eventer79

Jul 22, 2015
Visit site

You also cleared the data for Chrome in the Settings>Apps>All​ menu?

Just wanted to post a THANK YOU! because I've been restarting & clearing cache & resetting connections & turning functions off all morning, but could NOT get KitKat 4.4.4 to quit giving me "authentication problem," despite connecting just fine to my work wifi. Cleared all Chrome data under App Manager & VICTORY IS MINE! For today, anyway, LOL, thanks!

Bazza1

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site

As with some others, I found Dolphin to be a better bet than Chrome at getting to an authentication page by typing in a random URL.

Once the authentication page was found on Dolphin, I made a point of saving the URL and creating a new shortcut to it on the browser's homepage. Now clicking on that brings me directly there.
As for Chrome, a lot more of a struggle to achieve that first connection, but once there, I created a shortcut to the URL, placed on the tablet (the three dots at top right > Add to Home screen) and it gave me the same ability.

Both browsers struggle to work well on my N7 (2012) with 5.1.1, but that's a bigger problem of Google's creation.

Smitrock

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
What worked for me is, I just opened the default android browser and the sign-in page came right up. That browser is good for something...

Galaxy tab 4 8.0
Lollipop

Mamaj8578

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site

I had tried some of these things nope didn't work.... but as I was trying to figure out how to clear the cache on my tab S2 I stumbled across how to get in.... I clicked on user manual trying to find the connection optimizer page which is what shows up on my tab 3, it took me to the sign in page... looks like user manual is using a different browser than the one on the home screen... hope this helps someone

mongooos

Feb 10, 2016
Visit site
I was able to get this working by doing the following:
  • Turn off WiFi
  • Restart your device
  • Turn back on WiFi
  • It should connect to open WiFi and give you new Notification
  • Clicking notification now should load the browser and give you the prompt

Wingcommanderbob

Feb 26, 2016
Visit site
Hello, I'm new to this site. I am having the same issue with my Samsung Galaxy S6 on a hotel WiFi service. I've tried every suggestion above but with no luck. My Google Nexus 9 tablet and my girlfriend's iPhone both brought up the login page instantly. If anyone has any further ideas on a fix, I'd be really grateful. Thanks!

goilaswati

May 11, 2016
Visit site

HI I tried this, refreshed my browse cache. At the network window, it shows my wifi is connected. When i try to go to the browser window and put in any URL, it just goes half way and gives me an error - 'Oops Error occured - URL does not exist or weak signal or page not found'. Please help how to resolve this. This is not happening with other people's phone. Just my phone so nothing wrong with the wifi.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon