Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By mathelm
  • 1 Post By bigtroutz
  • 1 Post By bigtroutz
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Just bought a nexus 7!

Ok so I'm trying to get back in android (I have an iPhone and a ipad 4) so I figured I would play with this and try to give android another chance.....anything you guys would recommend from which root to use, and apps or tweaks to get. Thanks a lot everyone

Default Re: Just bought a nexus 7!

I prefer Star Chart over Sky Map. It isn't a jumpy.

And if you are a superhero fan, you should most certainly have this live wallpaper. It is best live wallpaper that I have seen in a while and it will make all of your nerd iOS friends jealous.

I also prefer DICEplayer over MX Player. I used MX for a long time but I found that I just HAD to use the SW mode on MX because HW mode made most videos choppy as hell. Videos with DICE look perfect and use HW decoding, so it is less of a battery drain.
    Thanked by:

Keep in mind that sky map is free and works great IMO...

I've not had any issues with MX Player being choppy, but I generally switch it to SW mode anyway to get the extra volume boost. Also I don't think you can show a difference in power usage between the 2 modes. Read something about that over on XDA....

But thanks for listing the DICEplayer, I'll give it a try...
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Diknak View Post
    It is best live wallpaper
    it is less of a battery drain.
    LOL [shaking his head...] on the one hand you like a live wallpaper that drains the battery more than a static one and on the other pick a vid player app because it saves battery life !!

consistent Diknak ????

..... Never mind

EDIT:

it''s a useful list, mathelm, but you can't please everyone. I also never had any issues with MXplayer, but then I always play excessive HD rips, ROFL
    Thanked by:
    mr_nobody likes this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Keep it coming

If you can get a hold of a PC, you could download Freemake video converter to go along with the 2 below. Anythings possible with this combination....

TV Portal
    Turbo Download Manager
    Thanked by:
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Which root should I use?

Quote Originally Posted by mathelm View Post
    Anythings possible with this combination....]
    golly gee !! Anything ?

nah, you could use some hardware !! get On The Go (OTG) cables and or adapters so that you can plug in USB devices and storage

OTG adapter Amazon.com: USB A Female to Mini USB B 5 Pin Male Adapter: Computers & Accessories
    OTG cable Amazon.com: SANOXY Micro USB Host Mode OTG Cable Flash Drive SD T-Flash Card Adapter FOR Samsung GT-i9100 i9100 Galaxy S II 2 GT-N7000 Galaxy Note: Cell Phones & Accessories

microSDHC reader works > 32GB you can find these dirt cheap if you look at hong kong shops
    Amazon.com: elago Mobile Nano II USB 2.0 microSDHC Flash Memory Card Reader (Black): Electronics

powered HUB (you can use this one to charge in addition while you use the storage and keyboard/mouse/ethernet/etc if rooted
    Amazon.com: Plugable 7 Port High Speed USB 2.0 Hub with 3A Power Adapter: Computers & Accessories

a decent case - this one is nice and slim, protects corners and glass etc. - works for me:
    Amazon.com: Blurex Ultra-Slim Case for Google Nexus 7 inch Tablet -- With built in Multi-Angle Stand + Premium Screen Protector Film (Clear),black: Electronics
    Thanked by:
    GatesDroid likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtroutz View Post
    golly gee !! Anything ?
    Well I didn't want to get into the whole downloading of new movies and burning them to dvd at decent quality, or vice versa... Might be contributing to the delinquency of a minor......

As far as rooting goes, ymmv and I think you should spend some time reading the details about what's available and for what reason one would use the various roms, etc.....

you definitely want something that lets you load stickmount if you need vast tracks of land... i mean media, ya, and a lot of games and storage n such.but that includes most of the good ones...

It's a personal decision I think, so go shopping.

hehe !!

make sure to check on kernels that let you add what you need -- for instance if you want to charge at the same time as playing movies, you need to check out what Timur added over at XDA and linked here:
    USB OTG Cable host mode while charging anyone try this accessory? - xda-developers
    Nexus 7 Kernel Download Page

others add all kindsa stuff....so no rushing allowed

I personally love media so check out:

imediashare https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...WFub3IuYW1zIl0.
    bubbleUPnP https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ViYmxldXBucCJd

amd best saved for last
    Plex Plex - A Complete Media Solution
    a variant of XBMC that integrates DLNA/PUnP better than the standard
    Last edited by bigtroutz; 01-07-2013 at 11:49 PM.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by bigtroutz View Post
    LOL [shaking his head...] on the one hand you like a live wallpaper that drains the battery more than a static one and on the other pick a vid player app because it saves battery life !!

consistent Diknak ????

..... Never mind

EDIT:

it''s a useful list, mathelm, but you can't please everyone. I also never had any issues with MXplayer, but then I always play excessive HD rips, ROFL
    I am on my home screen for a few seconds when switching apps but when I am watching a video, it is sometimes for hours at a time. Your argument would be valid if the live wallpaper was sucking battery when it is in the background of if you spent tons of time on the home pages, but that isn't the case.

On MX, I have transferred home videos from a digital video camera and I have transferred MKV files and they are all jumpy using HW mode. If I use handbreak to convert them, it is just fine, but that is a real pita. DICE just seems to work better for me, but to each his own.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by mojosodope_2 View Post
    Which root should I use?
    WugFresh's root toolkit - super, SUPER, easy.
    http://androidforums.com/nexus-7-all...t-toolkit.html
    Thanked by:

Airdroid for wireless management https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....sand.airdroid

Mx player for video playback https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...videoplayer.ad

titanium backup for backups. root needed https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...TitaniumBackup
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Diknak View Post
    I am on my home screen for a few seconds when switching apps but when I am watching a video, it is sometimes for hours at a time. Your argument would be valid if the live wallpaper was sucking battery when it is in the background of if you spent tons of time on the home pages, but that isn't the case.

On MX, I have transferred home videos from a digital video camera and I have transferred MKV files and they are all jumpy using HW mode. If I use handbreak to convert them, it is just fine, but that is a real pita. DICE just seems to work better for me, but to each his own.
    yep, no sweat Diknak - i was mostly teasing but my N7 apparently sets on the home screen more of the time than yours does and I don't need to sweat the battery life all that often. I would love to see actual numbers on battery usage for MXplayer vs Dice and I do use both of those players. As you know, AVI and MKV are container formats and folks tend to throw all kinds of trash inside them so the extension does not mean much as far as blanket compatibility goes.

More apps:
    X-plore File Manager https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...cy5YcGxvcmUiXQ..
    CoolReader https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...29scmVhZGVyIl0.
    AdBlock Plus https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...y5hbmRyb2lkIl0.
    PVStar+ (plays in background) https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...l0LnB2c3RhciJd
    Thanked by:

My new nexus 7 32GB 3G is absolutely brilliant. I downloaded a few free apps from Google, added a virus checker and skype and everything functions great. BUT, I just have one issue. An alarm type sound like a soft "Ding, dang,dong - space - ding, dang,dong" keeps going off. I have absolutely no idea how to fix it - worse still, I spoke to Google and they have no idea either. The system did an auto update from Jelly Bean 4.1 to 4.2 and I have only installed free apps from the Google store. I have tried absolutely everything but I can't fix it. Any clues out there ?????