Headphone jack out of place

Ben Demers

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
After having my Nexus 7 for 3 months, my headphone jack would not regester my headphones. To fix that I would push down on the headphones. Now no matter how hard I push, it will not work. I have tried a couple of headphone, but none work. I think from pushing so much I may have dislodged the piece that transmits the sound. The speaker works fine. Any help is much appreciated. :(

Last edited:

turdbogls

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
take the back off the device and see for yourself. i haven't done it, but from what i have read/seen, it seems fairly simple.
people do it all the time to fix the screen lift issue.

repligation

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
The 3.5mm stereo jack has separate connectors to receive the Tip (left channel), Ring (right channel), and Sleeve (ground) of your stereo headphone plug. It would appear based on your description that the ground is no longer making contact with the first connector. It is possible that you have broken one or more connectors from the circuit board. It is also possible that a piece of debris became lodged in there or the contact has become bent or highly oxidized and is preventing proper contact.

Make sure you are using a TRS stereo jack and not a TRRS stereo jack with microphone which can cause problems.

A few things you could try before returning for repair:
1. See if you can get a single channel (L) to the headphones by pulling the plug partly out and rotating it gently. If the tip and sleeve are making contact properly, then you should get a signal to the left headphone channel.
2. Try blowing out the jack with an air can. (Look in there with an LED flashlight)
3. Take a pair of headphones or earbuds that you don't care about and LIGHTLY shank the plug a little with a pair of pliers so the the plug has a SLIGHT curve to it. The may curve the plug enough to make proper contact especially if it is rotated around a bit while trying it out.

CGleas85

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Like rep stayed check the inside for debris, then see if the port is loose at all or the if connections appear in tack. When your nexus has its back on is the headphone port flush or recessed?

Ben Demers

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Ok, I did notice that the jack it self was a little lose, there was also a piece of tape over the connections so I did not remove that.

CGleas85

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Is it both ears that don't work or just one ? Also look very carefully into the jack and you can see the connection points are they flush ? Hopefully when you put it back together you can at least put the port back in correctly . if the tap is securely on the connections we can at least be assured there is no damage them.