Nexus 7 DISPLAY size, (not screen resolution), minus home button?

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Hello, what is the Nexus 7's screen DISPLAY size?

not the 7" 1280 x 800 screen resolution, but the actual DISPLAY size, which is the screen MINUS the home, back, and quick change buttons?

thanks!

also, do you guys know what size can i make the wallpapers so that every pixel is displayed and not cropped?

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
This is actually one of my few gripes about the tablet. I hate how there is so much wasted real estate. On my Acer Iconia A100, the soft buttons and the notifications bar was all in one. On this device there is both the header and the footer wasting space. They should have been able to get rid of the top bar completely and just condense it to the bottom one.

k os

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
This is actually one of my few gripes about the tablet. I hate how there is so much wasted real estate. On my Acer Iconia A100, the soft buttons and the notifications bar was all in one. On this device there is both the header and the footer wasting space. They should have been able to get rid of the top bar completely and just condense it to the bottom one.
I agree. At least there are a couple options - 1) use another ROM, which allows you to customize, or 2) use something like Nova Prime launcher, which enables you to hide the top notification bar (sort of like auto-hide taskbar on windows).

turdbogls

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
android/google team needs to do SOMETHING to be able to hide these stock.
when apple showed the iPad Mini and the Nexus 7 in landscape mode viewing the same web page...it REALLY showed the shorcomings of the 16:9 aspect and the nav/notification bars. if there was some way to hide this easily, without Root, and in places other than the home screen, it would be amazing.

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I agree. At least there are a couple options - 1) use another ROM, which allows you to customize, or 2) use something like Nova Prime launcher, which enables you to hide the top notification bar (sort of like auto-hide taskbar on windows).

Yeah, I use Nova and that feature is nice, but it only matters when you are on the home screen, which doesn't really matter at that point.

I used a custom rom on my last tablet (CM10) and I found that it just brought more problems than it solved so I have decided to stick with the stock rom on this tablet.

I think the thing that drives me the most nuts about have them separate is if I am playing games, the game will typically hide the notification bar and I can't even see the time or see if I get new emails unless I back out of the app.

k os

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I use Nova and that feature is nice, but it only matters when you are on the home screen, which doesn't really matter at that point.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but I have the notification bar hidden on every screen and just drag down to see it, no matter which screen I'm on.
I think the thing that drives me the most nuts about have them separate is if I am playing games, the game will typically hide the notification bar and I can't even see the time or see if I get new emails unless I back out of the app.
^^ This...that is a BIG gripe and is very frustrating. I've learned to live with it, but it isn't ideal, IMO.

k os

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
android/google team needs to do SOMETHING to be able to hide these stock.
when apple showed the iPad Mini and the Nexus 7 in landscape mode viewing the same web page...it REALLY showed the shorcomings of the 16:9 aspect and the nav/notification bars. if there was some way to hide this easily, without Root, and in places other than the home screen, it would be amazing.
I wonder why that is? Why do they not make that part of stock? Seems like making it an "option" would be ideal - if you want to hide it, great. If you want it to remain, great.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I loaded a custom ROM specifically to integrate the top banner with the bottom one. I much prefer it that way.

That said, playing with a Kindle Fire HD over the weekend, the screen just felt much bigger, to the point I had to compare them side-by-side. Turned out to be the button banner at the bottom. The Kindle doesn't have that black strip of wasted space. It was noticeable.

-Suntan

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
no, sorry, not what i meant.

like, the length is 1280, so the navigation bar (home, back, quick change) takes up X amount of pixels, so instead of 1280, the length for DISPLAYing info is actually 1250 pixels, etc.

what is the pixels of the display area, 800 x 12__?

I can take out the status bar in nova and sslauncher, but i need the navigation bar.

i am making a custom wallpaper that i can use blank desktop visualizer icons on top, and i want to get the length correct.

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
good idea!

i will make a brand new post w/ the measurements!

- - - Updated - - -

good idea!

i will make a brand new post w/ the measurements!

celliott96

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, the actual usable screen real estate is less than 7" with the navigation buttons and status bar. To fix this I first rooted my Nexus 7 then I installed GMD Gesture Control from the Play Store. Now I get the full 7" of usable screen real estate and I'm loving it!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Will Capellaro

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
The correct answer is 800w1172h for application frame size. This is 1280 minus any top and bottom bars.
I tested this out by creating an air for android application and testing on a device. Not sure about wallpapers but give that a try.

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
The correct answer is 800w1172h for application frame size. This is 1280 minus any top and bottom bars.
I tested this out by creating an air for android application and testing on a device. Not sure about wallpapers but give that a try.

Thanks! I got 1173 off my measurements, but that was using GIMP and eyeballing a measurement. Glad I was close!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2