Just got my Nexus 7 -- should I update to 4.2.1 from 4.1.2?

JobiWan144

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys! I just got my Nexus 7 yesterday. I'm really loving the seamless, fast experience in pretty much every app I try. However, the device shipped with Android 4.1.2 onboard, and the update to 4.2.1 has been rearing its head periodically. My question is: should I accept the update or not?

Normally I would accept it without a second thought, but Phil has said a couple times that he hasn't had a good experience with 4.2.x on the Nexus 7. I also will probably end up rooting, unlocking, and flashing custom ROM's. I say "probably" because I've enjoyed the practice on my EVO LTE for about half a year now, but I haven't found too much reason to do so on my N7 yet.

So, to update or not to update? That is the question. Also, if the answer is no, is there a way of disabling the update pop-ups? Thanks in advance. I look forward to many a good time with you guys in here.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

What I'm using:
- HTC EVO 4G LTE (black): LazyPanda S-Off currently running MeanBean
- Google Nexus 7 (32 GB, WiFi only): currently running stock 4.1.2
- Lenovo IdeaPad U300s Ultrabook (2nd-gen Intel Core i5, 128 GB SSD): dual-booting Windows 7 and Hexxeh's build of Chromium OS (http://chromeos.hexxeh.net)...with some Linux somewhere in its future

dave1nyc

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm on 4.2.1 and all seems fine. Mine is fairly new (about a month) and is the ATT cell version.

I've had the occasional strange behavior that I can't explain (such as all of a sudden it didn't want to maintain the LAN connection at home even though I'd had no problem going automatically between wifi and cell and back since the moment I got it, but Wifi Manager fixed that, whatever it was).

I like the idea of rooting it, just for the fun of it, but in terms of needing to, I haven't found that yet.

JobiWan144

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
the short answer is yes unless you have some kind of bluetooth death wish thingee....

What do you mean? Are there Bluetooth issues with 4.2.1?

I like the idea of rooting it, just for the fun of it, but in terms of needing to, I haven't found that yet.

True, same here. When I first got my EVO LTE (in July running 4.0.3/Sense 4.0), I wanted to root/unlock/flash custom ROM's within a couple days of first having it due to performance issues. However, the only reason I've thought of so far to root/mod is to put a battery percentage in the status bar (I'm OCD like that). I guess that's a testament to how good stock Jelly Bean (4.1.2) really is.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
What do you mean? Are there Bluetooth issues with 4.2.1?

However, the only reason I've thought of so far to root/mod is to put a battery percentage in the status bar (I'm OCD like that).

Yes, many people are having bt problems with 4.2.

You don't need to root or flash a rom to get battery percentage in the status bar...just an app like battery indicator.

JobiWan144

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Yes, many people are having bt problems with 4.2.

You don't need to root or flash a rom to get battery percentage in the status bar...just an app like battery indicator.

OK, I'll have to see what specifically is broken. I don't use it all that much, probably just for a keyboard occasionally.

Is there an app that puts the percentage on the right side where it belongs?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
OK, I'll have to see what specifically is broken. I don't use it all that much, probably just for a keyboard occasionally.

Is there an app that puts the percentage on the right side where it belongs?

Yes, SOME bluetooth devices were 'broken' by changes introduced in 4.2. I would expect by now most of those w/ active dev have been fixed but some remain broken...so check yours

Yes, lots of battery widgets out there let you put a menu widget anyplace on the menu screen and you can probably move it to the very bottom row too but i never tried. Dunno if you can move a battery % to the right side of the 'notifcation' top row so you will just have to explore some.
I use https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...search?q=battery+widget+reborn&token=QcOS83ev but similar ones are dime a dz.

vlok16

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I just got my third Nexus 7, first one the screen had problems responding to touch and one of the back corner covers was popped open so no luck there... My second one I upgraded right away and the Wifi dropped to only 1Mbps at home and would not even connect to public Wifi spots... This one I have not upgraded and get a nice blistering 54Mbps at home so I am avoiding upgrading to 4.2.1 in case it is a software issue as I have seen on other forums... For me 4.1.2 has been very responsive and I don't feel like I am missing anything from 4.2.1

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tony2