Photos on NAS - need them on N7 as easily as possible

DazedConfused

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I have a load of photos on my NAS. I'd like my wife to be able to browse them as easily as possible on the Nexus 7 on the same wireless network.

I can see the folder in ES File Explorer, but I cannot add a shortcut on the Home screen to folders on the LAN. Will anything else do this, or is there a gallery app that can be pointed at network shares?

Thanks!

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I have a load of photos on my NAS. I'd like my wife to be able to browse them as easily as possible on the Nexus 7 on the same wireless network.

I can see the folder in ES File Explorer, but I cannot add a shortcut on the Home screen to folders on the LAN. Will anything else do this, or is there a gallery app that can be pointed at network shares?

Thanks!

try QuickPic but there are lots of choices here....

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...mNvbS5hbGVuc3cuUGljRm9sZGVyIl0&token=ibJYRydQ.

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
PicsArt has LAN and Web connections from my quick look - did not examine it in any detail tho -- looks like it does much more than I want that kind of app to do (and has tentacles all over) but it might solve your issue.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...t.studio&feature=search_result&token=18M1UlKL

You could set up a media server app on your desktop like Plex and then allow access to your photos from many different devices, like N7 or TV too with a VERY easy to use interface.

Plex - A Complete Media Solution

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...app.android&feature=nav_result&token=BS_6F5pK..

crimsonsky

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
The domain name isn't needed with ES File Explorer - just the IP address & share name and user credentials. The built in photo viewer works just fine, too.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

repligation

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I don't think the OP is asking how to access his shares or his NAS using ES File Explorer--He indicated he already can do that. He is asking if there is a way to send a shared folder that is visible in the LAN window as a shortcut to a home screen on his N7. This can only be done with folders in the Local tab that are actually on the phone.

It is possible that it can be achieved using astro, but I'm not sure about that.

DazedConfused

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Thanks all. Yes, that's right, repligation.

I can access the files fine using various file explorers. What I want t do is make it as simple as possible for my wife - so either have a shortcut to the share on the Home screen, or have a gallery app that can include network shares as easily as possible (i.e. make the network share the default Pictures folder and not require her to navigate to it each time).

Basically I'm trying to make it as simple and seamless as possible.

BigJArm

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I've been working though this same issue too. So far I have been trying the following 3 options.

1. Polkast - This lets you pull up the photo's (and everything else) as if the NAS was a cloud like dropbox or google drive. It works well and lets you upload to the library as well. It doesn't read tags though.
2. Plex - I love the plex apps and they make it super easy. My only problem here is that browsing is super slow with 5k photos in a single folder. If I were to subdivide the photos into smaller folders it loads those pretty fast.
3. XBMC pulling from the DLNA server on the NAS - I think this is my best option so far. You have to download the app from XBMC.org then you will want to change the skin so it's easier to use on a touch screen (I'm using re-touched and it's pretty sweet). The first load of metadata from the 5k photos was slow, but once it was loaded browsing and viewing photos has been pretty fast and easy.

The nice thing with all 3 of the options is that if you have movies or music on your NAS you can stream it using the same app.

Hagman22

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
Finally a good and fast way to browse pictures on an NAS! :) I have searched for a good solution for hours and hours, and finally.

I went for the XBMC solution, and this is by far faster than for example ES file explorer.