New Nexus 7 hogging wireless connection?!

Somethingducky

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Just received my new Nexus 7 yesterday and it's my first tablet. Setup was no problem but this morning after some troubleshooting and cursing from my fiance we suspect that it is hogging up the network when wireless is on. We have Comcast Xfinity service and actually just had the router replaced yesterday due to another unrelated connection problem. One home PC is a hardwire connection, our Xbox has a wireless connection and now the tablet there is also a Wii turned off and my father's Nook sleeping somewhere in the house. We discovered that when the tablet is on wireless the network just seems to crash for everything else (xbox and pc). The moment I turned of the wireless everything seemed to resolve itself. Any ideas people? Do we have to go shopping for a new internet provider because the Nexus is such a hog?

Tiepilot68

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I have one of those thrustmaster wifi keys plugged into my PC. Its designed to make a wifi hotspot for a PS3 to connect to. A nexus 7 runs on it like a charm. I have noticed that the Nexus does make any downloading on my PC alot slower when its chuggin down the bandwith, but it doesnt cause anything in my house to become disconnected or crash. These run like 20 bucks or less and could possibly be a cheap alternative for you. I got mine years ago for my PS3 and was very pleasantly surprised that a Nexus 7 does so well on it. Worth a shot I guess. Hope this helps!

Tiepilot68

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Its designed to make a wifi hotspot for a PS3 to connect to.

Exactly. But laptops, and the nexus 7 have no trouble at all using the hotspot. They work great. Just have to set up the network in your PC and tell it to allow other devices to connect to the network through the wifi key. I've used a Nexus 7 with it. Its my primary and only source of its wifi here at home. No router needed. Internet comes into PC directly and hotspot created by the key stuck in a USB port. You can password it for security just like any other network hotspot.

Last edited by a moderator:

A-android-B

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Since you just unboxed it your nexus 7 is probably downloading updates. It does this three times I think these days.

tea candles are the duct tape of candles