Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32
Like Tree7Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Clear All Apps Rather than One at a time

    So i've tried searching the internet as well as on this forum and i can't find any post or anyone showing how i can clear all apps at once.

    Is there a way to do this on the N7? or am i missing something and i just have to deal with swiping them away one by one?
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Clear All Apps Rather than One at a time

    By swiping them away if you were talking about doing something in the recent apps menu I don't know where people got the idea that doing anything there closes apps. Maybe from ios? In any case you can use a task killer to kill apps but it is completely pointless in Android.
    Thanked by 2:
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Clear All Apps Rather than One at a time

    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaVictor87 View Post
    So i've tried searching the internet as well as on this forum and i can't find any post or anyone showing how i can clear all apps at once.

    Is there a way to do this on the N7? or am i missing something and i just have to deal with swiping them away one by one?
    In case you don't know swiping them away doesn't remove the app from the tablet it just hides them from view, and yes it is one at a time.

    Sent from planet earth
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: Clear All Apps Rather than One at a time

    Quote Originally Posted by mr_nobody View Post
    By swiping them away if you were talking about doing something in the recent apps menu I don't know where people got the idea that doing anything there closes apps. Maybe from ios? In any case you can use a task killer to kill apps but it is completely pointless in Android.
    Well yah i've had nothing but an iPhone. This was my first android device and will be switching to an android phone next upgrade in about 5 months.
    So what exactly does the swiping action in the recent apps menu do for you then?
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Clear All Apps Rather than One at a time

    It simply removes them from the recent apps menu.
    Thanked by:
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Clear All Apps Rather than One at a time

    The Recent Apps list is just a convenience for you--it allows you to switch a little more quickly between apps that you probably use often. As discussed above, it is not a way of "closing" an app--the example I always use is Pandora. If you start playing music with Pandora, then swipe it away in the Recent Apps list, the music keeps playing, meaning you didn't close it.

    In Android, you don't have to close apps, because the system prefers to keep its RAM relatively full. If it needs more RAM for a newly opened app, it will close an unused app on its own. I'm not an expert, so if you want more details, check the many articles on the web about this, starting with Multitasking the Android Way | Android Developers Blog

    That's not to say that an app will never misbehave. If the system is getting laggy, you can check using various apps like this one https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...V0LnphcHBlciJd to check on how much CPU your running apps are using, and force stop any that seem to be using an inordinate amount.
    Thanked by:
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Clear All Apps Rather than One at a time

    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaVictor87 View Post
    So i've tried searching the internet as well as on this forum and i can't find any post or anyone showing how i can clear all apps at once.

    Is there a way to do this on the N7? or am i missing something and i just have to deal with swiping them away one by one?
    what do you mean clear all app? you mean uninstall all app? or clear data/cache for all app?
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default Re: Clear All Apps Rather than One at a time

    Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    The Recent Apps list is just a convenience for you--it allows you to switch a little more quickly between apps that you probably use often. As discussed above, it is not a way of "closing" an app--the example I always use is Pandora. If you start playing music with Pandora, then swipe it away in the Recent Apps list, the music keeps playing, meaning you didn't close it.

    In Android, you don't have to close apps, because the system prefers to keep its RAM relatively full. If it needs more RAM for a newly opened app, it will close an unused app on its own. I'm not an expert, so if you want more details, check the many articles on the web about this, starting with Multitasking the Android Way | Android Developers Blog

    That's not to say that an app will never misbehave. If the system is getting laggy, you can check using various apps like this one https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...V0LnphcHBlciJd to check on how much CPU your running apps are using, and force stop any that seem to be using an inordinate amount.
    Ahhh ok. I'll have to read that article later tonight for sure. Thanks for the explanation though!
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Clear All Apps Rather than One at a time

    If you want a faster experience (this improved mine quite a lot) go to settings/apps/all and disable the Google apps you never use. (Tap on app, clear cache, force stop, then disable) it's amazing what disabling a few background apps can do to your tablet speed.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    --- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --OCTO-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
    RumoredNow likes this.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Clear All Apps Rather than One at a time

    Swiping away seems to close some apps. For example if you open the Play Store navigate to an app or something in the Play Store hit the home button and reopen the Play Store you'll find it is on the page you left it, however if you hit the home button, open up recent apps and swipe it away, then open it, it'll open on the main page. I think what happens when you clear an app from recent apps depends on the app itself.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Clear All Apps Rather than One at a time

    Quote Originally Posted by retsaw View Post
    Swiping away seems to close some apps. For example if you open the Play Store navigate to an app or something in the Play Store hit the home button and reopen the Play Store you'll find it is on the page you left it, however if you hit the home button, open up recent apps and swipe it away, then open it, it'll open on the main page. I think what happens when you clear an app from recent apps depends on the app itself.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    You're right on that one. :thumbup: ...I've been doing a little exploring in settings, and found that in settings/developer options, at the bottom there is an option to make it so that apps close whenever you leave them. "Don't keep activities" is the name in jelly bean.



    **GO MAKE SOMETHING HAPPEN - I.Guy*

    sent from my N7, using Tapatalk HD
    --- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --OCTO-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
    Thanked by 4:
    RumoredNow and liljew like this.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

    Default Re: Clear All Apps Rather than One at a time

    Quote Originally Posted by indestructibleguy View Post
    You're right on that one. :thumbup: ...I've been doing a little exploring in settings, and found that in settings/developer options, at the bottom there is an option to make it so that apps close whenever you leave them. "Don't keep activities" is the name in jelly bean.
    Good find!
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Clear All Apps Rather than One at a time

    Contrary to what many say, I belive that swiping an app away from the recent app list *does* close the app. Do try it with Zapper or SystemPanel running, you will see that after swiping the app, it will disapear from Zapper/SystemPanel, also the memory is cleared.
    Now Android might have good memory manegment, but in that case many apps misbehave, becouse my 7 often slows down if I have many memory hungry apps (Flipboard, Google+, Facebook) left in the recent apps list.

    /Micha
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Clear All Apps Rather than One at a time

    Does not work for me. I got exhausted in looking for the solution. People saying that running applications in Andraoid is OK, apparently forget the price for the data usage. I like very much Tunein and for a long time I am using it insted of the standard radio in car. Now, there is absolutely no way to completely close it by one click (imprtant while driving, isn't it ?). The application itself does have Exit botton, but to get it closed I have to make three clicks, including the stupid "Are you sure ?". I am not a fan of Windows, but I have a nostalgy about that small "x" in the upper right side of the window. Don't you ?
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Clear All Apps Rather than One at a time

    I still believe that swiping an app away does not close the app. I've experimented with several apps, and swiping doesn't always remove it from Running Apps. I suspect that when people see the memory clear after swiping it away, it is more of a coincidence.

    If you have concerns about data usage, it might be helpful for you to turn off mobile data or wifi when you're not using it, unless it is necessary for you to have uninterrupted connectivity for email alerts or something similar. There are plenty of toggle apps out there that allow you to turn off mobile data or wifi with a single tap.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Clear All Apps Rather than One at a time

    Sorry, I did not clarify what is Tunein. I thought everybody is a fan of the Internet radio as myself. So, Tunein is one of the Internet radio applications, for which the expensive cellular data usage is necessary. Not even Wifi, while in a car. So, I am afraid you are right regarding swiping applications, but unfortunately your recommendation to turn off mobile data is not applicable in my case.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Clear All Apps Rather than One at a time

    Sure, I know what TuneIn is. It sounded to me like you wished there was a way to close it easily so that it wasn't using up your mobile data while you actually aren't listening to it. That's why I suggested turning the mobile data off while leaving TuneIn on. That way, you know it isn't using any mobile data, and you don't have to worry about closing the app. Does that make sense?

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Clear All Apps Rather than One at a time

    Theoretically, you are absolutely right. But practically, in long trips, I used to switch Tunein on/off several times. I also have some other Internet based applications (e.g. Waze). Therefore, turning off mobile data several times could be even worse then one time Tunein using Exit botton. I don't know whether it is possible conceptually, but I would like Android does have an option to force any application getting close by one single tap. I hoped the above mentioned "Don't keep activities" does the job. But it did not, at least with Tunein.
  19. #19  
    piizzadude's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    5,767 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

    Default Re: Clear All Apps Rather than One at a time

    How about a bit of a work around?

    Not sure if this would work, but get taker from the market. Make a task to specifically turn on and off the app, set a shortcut to that task on the desktop.

    Not sure if it would work but it is an idea

    Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Clear All Apps Rather than One at a time

    Piizzadude, apparently I am a nob in this stuff. I have no idea what taker you mean and how to use it for making a task using it, etc. So, probably you are right, but, unfortunately I can't check it. Thanks anyway.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Clear All Apps Rather than One at a time

    Quote Originally Posted by piizzadude View Post
    How about a bit of a work around?

    Not sure if this would work, but get taker from the market. Make a task to specifically turn on and off the app, set a shortcut to that task on the desktop.

    Not sure if it would work but it is an idea

    Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.
    You could also get a tag. Program it, stick it in the car, and it would turn off all apps and start the ones you want running while in the car. ( if that's what you programmed it to do.) :thumbup:



    **GO MAKE SOMETHING HAPPEN - I.Guy*

    sent from my N7, using Tapatalk HD
    --- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --OCTO-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Clear All Apps Rather than One at a time

    Quote Originally Posted by indestructibleguy View Post
    You could also get a tag. Program it, stick it in the car, and it would turn off all apps and start the ones you want running while in the car. ( if that's what you programmed it to do.)
    Tag? Please elaborate or provide a link.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using TapATalk
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Clear All Apps Rather than One at a time

    Quote Originally Posted by liljew View Post
    Tag? Please elaborate or provide a link.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using TapATalk
    I'm looking for the link. I saw it on a post once, gimme ten mins.



    **GO MAKE SOMETHING HAPPEN - I.Guy*

    sent from my N7, using Tapatalk HD
    --- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --OCTO-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Clear All Apps Rather than One at a time

    Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    I still believe that swiping an app away does not close the app. I've experimented with several apps, and swiping doesn't always remove it from Running Apps. I suspect that when people see the memory clear after swiping it away, it is more of a coincidence.

    If you have concerns about data usage, it might be helpful for you to turn off mobile data or wifi when you're not using it, unless it is necessary for you to have uninterrupted connectivity for email alerts or something similar. There are plenty of toggle apps out there that allow you to turn off mobile data or wifi with a single tap.
    swiping an app away will close the app. the apps which wont close are the service apps which always run on the background.

    try gmail for example. to see if apps are closed or not use any task manager. i used ATK.

    1. open gmail.
    2. open ATK to verify if app is running
    3. swipe the app and then open ATK again. gmail would be closed.

    I just tested this.
  25. #25  

    Default Re: Clear All Apps Rather than One at a time

    Quote Originally Posted by liljew View Post
    Tag? Please elaborate or provide a link.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using TapATalk
    http://kimtag.com/s/nfc_tags



    **GO MAKE SOMETHING HAPPEN - I.Guy*

    sent from my N7, using Tapatalk HD
    --- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --OCTO-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Can't TXT more than 10 at a time?
    By shaungilmer in forum Samsung Galaxy S3
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-27-2012, 10:03 PM
  2. Add more than one app to a folder at a time
    By KillerG in forum Droid Bionic
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-20-2011, 06:37 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-27-2011, 10:14 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-21-2010, 11:18 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-07-2009, 02:59 AM

Posting Permissions