1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default My experience with the official dock has so far been horrible. Is my unit defective or is it normal?

First of all, the audio jack is almost useless. When I connect my speakers through it, I get static almost all the time, and if I happen to move the device just a bit, it becomes incredibly noisy. But that I could live with - after all, I can still connect audio via the tablet's input.

The worst thing is that its unstable. The dock looks solid and sturdy, but the way the tablet is placed in it is exactly the opposite. It seems to fit in well, nothings moving etc., but you can never tell if you connected it properly without looking at the screen and checking if the battery is charging. Sometimes it fits right in, sometimes it doesn't, and there seems to be no pattern. Most of the time I have to push the device one way or another until charging begins. This is very frustrating because a subtle drag on the cable may result in the device being disconnected. Plus, it seemed so cool to be able to simply put your tablet and forget about it till it's charged. Well, that's not the case here, and it's actually my biggest problem with the device.

Last but not least, the charging speed seems to be lower than when charging directly via the usb cable. I use the very same cable and charging unit as usual, with which I had no such problems. But here it seems that sometimes it charges so slow, that when listening to a shoutcast radio via Xiialive, battery life actually stays at the same level or even decreases, even though it says it is charging! Again however, there is no pattern, and sometimes it charges as fast/almost as fast as using the cable.

I'm so disappointed. I'm considering getting a refund. DAE have any of these problems? Maybe it's the unit I got that is faulty? I hope the latter is the case, because should it work properly, the dock is a very cool thing to have. It even looks awesome:

Thanks in advance for your input!

Default Re: My experience with the official dock has so far been horrible. Is my unit defective or is it nor

Silly question, but are you sure your speaker cable is plugged tightly into the jack? You know how people have complained about how the Nexus 7's jack is pretty tight, and you really have to push the plug in until it clicks? Could it be the same for the dock as well?

Default Re: My experience with the official dock has so far been horrible. Is my unit defective or is it nor

the official dock for nexus 7 has not been available yet. dont know how you got that dock.
    so, most probably you wont get any response
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57563245-94/nexus-7-dock-to-go-on-sale-this-month-for-$39.99/
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I live in Europe. It has all the official Ausus packaging and documents. I doubt it's fake.

@B. Diddy
    No, I'm sure I connect it correctly, I double-checked that. Like I said, this is the smallest problem here, it's the lack of connection stability that's frustrating.

If you have a short window of time to return it, I'd suggest doing so. If you have a longer window, then you might want to wait until it becomes available in the US, because then a whole bunch of people will get it and be able to troubleshoot with you.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Yeah, I think I will do that. Considering it wasn't cheap at all... Plus I really need a good dock - I damaged my USB port slightly and I was very happy to learn that I could charge my N7 this way, without straining the port.

Global Posts
    111 Global Posts

I came across this vid yesterday. He shows it fairly well being used. There should be some "Dock" settings that allow you to set sounds for when the tablet is connected and taken off the dock you will see.

Thanked by:
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

I did that with Lama - it has a trigger for the tablet being connected/disconnected. So yeah, the sound is there, that's nice, but it doesn't change the fact that it's not stable at all :-/

Can you post a close up pic of the charge/speaker contacts (pogo pins) on the dock. Just wondering what style they used....

Everything you're describing is a contact issue. Perhaps you could use some sort of pin or knife to clean the contacts on the Nexus. Probably wouldn't hurt to do the same to the dock...

Quote Originally Posted by peterabelard View Post
    I live in Europe. It has all the official Ausus packaging and documents. I doubt it's fake....
    Peter, would you mind sharing, where did you get it?
    Mike

UK

2012 Nexus 7 on 4.4
    2013 Nexus 4 on 4.4
    2013 Chromecast

Global Posts
    111 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by peterabelard View Post
    I did that with Lama - it has a trigger for the tablet being connected/disconnected. So yeah, the sound is there, that's nice, but it doesn't change the fact that it's not stable at all :-/
    Are you saying that the tablet does not sit in the dock very solidly? Does it seem like it would fall out or tip over as if you use it in the cradle?

I was wondering about how well it is held while sitting in the dock. Seems like the surface area surrounding where the tablet actually touches the dock is not enough. I would think it would be better if it was taller in back and sides to support the tablet more, as well as making it very quick and easy to set the tablet in the dock.

I see a cable attached the the headphone out port in the attached pic. You are not using the sound out port on the Dock ? Is that because of the bad sound issue ??

Could you please let us know if you can connect an OTG adapter and a USB drive to the regular (default) micro-usb port while docked and have it work right ?

Thanks in advance

I don't know how the 7 acts when it's docked, but if the screen is constantly on it will charge very slowly as the screen uses a lot of energy.

/Micha

Global Posts
    111 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by michap View Post
    I don't know how the 7 acts when it's docked, but if the screen is constantly on it will charge very slowly as the screen uses a lot of energy.

/Micha
    I have no problems charging up my N7 while in Sleep Mode, Daydream with my Beautiful Widgets weather service running (this for me was one of the cool things with the last update and I was thinking about getting the dock for this use and as a second charger on my night stand), or normal screen on use with the stock charger. I would think, or hope, that charging via the pogo dock that this would be the same. We shall find out soon enough.

And yes, the reason you see the OP using the sound out port on his pic is probably because of the noise issue with the dock sound port. Hope that is not normal and his unit had a problem.....but he gets a replacement soon as well.
    Last edited by Rich215; 01-11-2013 at 09:47 AM.

Global Posts
    132 Global Posts

Oh boy, hope this isnt the reason for it having not been released for so long. I'll be waiting to hear a bigger sampling of reports before considering any purchase. The whole release delay scenario snafu is very fishy.