How do you change the lockscreen clock widget / add widgets to lock screen?

jmaudi0

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
I know this is probably a dumb question but I can't figure it out. With the latest update I know you can add lock screen widgets but do you have to be rooted? Maybe that's my problem as I am not rooted.

I just want to change the clock to a clock that has weather also. My tablet has a PIN lock on it due to my work email. Is that preventing me from messing with the lockscreen? Thanks!

NealJ777

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't have my N7 in front of me, but...

When you're on the lock screen, swipe the main widget (the clock) to the right and there will be a "+". Tap the "+" and then a list of available widgets will display. Select the widget(s) you wish to add.

jmaudi0

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
I don't have my N7 in front of me, but...

When you're on the lock screen, swipe the main widget (the clock) to the right and there will be a "+". Tap the "+" and then a list of available widgets will display. Select the widget(s) you wish to add.

i tried doing that but when swipe, the keypad pops up wanting me to type in my PIN. the default clock gets a white border around it and rotates slightly like it want to slide to the left or right but it won't....

i'm beginning to think the PIN lock is messing it up. maybe I need to disable that? my nexus 7 is at home also. I'll have to mess with it after work.

indestructibleguy

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I had the same problem with mine. It asked for the pattern. Go into settings/security and change the lock to 'none'. Then tap the power button, wake it up again, and try to change it. :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

NealJ777

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
i tried doing that but when swipe, the keypad pops up wanting me to type in my PIN. the default clock gets a white border around it and rotates slightly like it want to slide to the left or right but it won't....

i'm beginning to think the PIN lock is messing it up. maybe I need to disable that? my nexus 7 is at home also. I'll have to mess with it after work.

Hit the "+" and then enter your PIN. I have mine set the same way.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If you have a PIN or pattern unlock on your device, you need to enter the PIN or pattern after tapping the [+] sign, which should then bring you to the lock screen widget selection screen. This is a security feature, because otherwise anyone could bypass your security and access your email by adding your Gmail widget.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

for + to appear properly you need to swipe from the left edge of the screen else it will try to open the app and prompt you with pin entry

NealJ777

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
for + to appear properly you need to swipe from the left edge of the screen else it will try to open the app and prompt you with pin entry

You don't have to swipe from the left edge. Just swipe the widget that is facing front from the left to the right.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
You don't have to swipe from the left edge. Just swipe the widget that is facing front from the left to the right.

nope when you are on the lock screen with pin and clock like OP's scenario you have to swipe from edge to go to next widget properly and not make it open clock app.

thats the reason why OP is get a pin entry(like he/she explained in his/her first post) because its trying to open the clock app.
i am not saying a simple swipe from left to right wont work but its a hit or miss

I initially had the same issue and swiping from the edge has 99.9% rate of moving to next widget. you have to be real fast or it will open clock app.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
All due respect, but that's not correct. You don't need to swipe all the way from the edge--you just need to swipe anywhere on the clock widget to the left, as long as you keep your finger on the screen. The reason why the OP is getting the PIN entry is because he/she is trying to add a lockscreen widget while the lockscreen security is set to PIN unlock. This prevents anyone without the PIN from adding any widget to the lockscreen--you need to enter the PIN in order to do so.

indestructibleguy

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Don't forget that it's ''swipe to the right, as to see the screen on the left'' kind of thing. I can just imagine all the people trying to swipe the wrong way, going ''it's not working!!"

**GO MAKE SOMETHING HAPPEN**

sent from my N7, using Tapatalk HD

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, there needs to be some established convention of how to describe swiping. Swiping something to the right means you're getting to what's on the left, so should that be "swipe to the right" or "swipe to the left"?

indestructibleguy

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, there needs to be some established convention of how to describe swiping. Swiping something to the right means you're getting to what's on the left, so should that be "swipe to the right" or "swipe to the left"?

.....swipe for the left screen=swipe right?

**GO MAKE SOMETHING HAPPEN**

sent from my N7, using Tapatalk HD

coates2033

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
I found setting and date and time but it is greyed out and won't let me change it. The security states locked. Don't know how to change the clock and date??

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Can you add more than one widget to a screen? How?

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Nope. Only one lockscreen widget per lockscreen. You can have multiple lockscreens, though, which you can swipe between.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. That's really dumb and makes it extremely useless.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
All due respect, but that's not correct. You don't need to swipe all the way from the edge--you just need to swipe anywhere on the clock widget to the left, as long as you keep your finger on the screen. The reason why the OP is getting the PIN entry is because he/she is trying to add a lockscreen widget while the lockscreen security is set to PIN unlock. This prevents anyone without the PIN from adding any widget to the lockscreen--you need to enter the PIN in order to do so.
Basically if you press, *hold* and swipe anywhere on the screen, including on the widget, it will move it to the next screen. Makes most sense to press on a blank spot though so you don't accidentally try opening the clock.

Another question, can you change the position of the widget on the screen? I'm a little disappointed in this feature because the reviews of it made it seem like you could have multiple widgets on one screen and really customize it to your liking.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't appear that you can change the position.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums